Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 17,574 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an opportunity for my children to speak german when we relocate to SA this summer. Any advice is sought. My 7-year-old boy just finished his first year of german immersion public school in VA, and my 10-year-old girl (rising 5th grade) has become relatively fluent through the same program. Initial inquiries to public schools indicate no german is available until High School. She doesn't necessarily have to have a class if there is a means for her to hear and speak german. The primary goal is for her to maintain what she already knows during her 5th and 6th grade years. Does anyone know of any classes, centers, clubs, institutes, tudors or schools where german is taught or spoken? We are currently searching for housing and schools anywhere around Ft. Sam Houston or Randolph AFB. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,558 times
There are probably options in San Antonio, but I first thought of New Braunfels... There is a kinder chor based there - we saw them perform at Wurst Fest - not sure if this is something that would interest you or not since it is singing rather than conversing... If you find housing near Randolph, New Braunfels wouldn't be that far of a drive at all. Anyway, here's the link: Edelweiss Kinder Chor Von New Braunfels

While searching for the name of the choir, I did come across a German society in Austin which offers German classes for kids this summer plus a 12 week program which starts in August. German-Texan Heritage Society Home Page

Old 04-07-2008, 03:32 PM

51 posts, read 126,542 times
In San Antonio there is the Beethoven Maennerchor, Inc. They have a Kinderchor as well and many other events, not just singing.
I can't help with schools, though, sorry. You could try emailing the German-Texas Society Buffy linked to, maybe they have that sort of information.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:55 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Multilingual Magnets at Davis and Tafolla Middle Schools
The SAISD Multilingual Magnet provides an opportunity for students to achieve proficiency in another language – Spanish, French, German, Russian and Japanese. Multilingual students prepare and participate in language contests and programs as individuals and groups.
Davis Middle School, 4702 E. Houston Street, 78220, 210-662-8184
Tafolla Middle School, 1303 W. Durango Blvd., 78207, 210-227-3383

San Antonio Independent School District. Destination: Exemplary - Magnets

Both of those schools though are in low income areas.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
From the website above, there's also -

The Center for Multilingual Studies at Brackenridge High School
The SAISD Multilingual Magnet is designed to provide an opportunity for students to achieve proficiency in another language by committing to study the language for seven years, grades 6 through 12. The languages in the program are French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish. Latin is also offered for a course study offering of four years.
Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland, 78210, 210-533-8144

The elementary is Bonham.

And I would second the recommendation for Beethoven's. It's a German Club, and though many club members are older, there are a ton of families, lots of German spoken and opportunities to delve into German culture.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:10 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
There was a similar thread here recently. My suggestion to that person, and to you, is to start a German Meetup group:

German Speakers, German Language Meetups, events, clubs and groups near San Antonio, Texas

There appears to be several people interested if someone would just start it.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Actually, I am doing it the hard way...I have to go over to Germany twice in the coming months...

Bummer, eh?

Cheers! M2

Old 04-10-2008, 04:24 AM

95 posts, read 417,135 times
My 7-year-old is decently fluent as well, as she spent a year in German kinderschule and is in a partial immersion at school (and then plays with local children and watches German television). However she does speak with the local dialect, which throws a little Dutch ino the mix! We arrive in SA in mid-June, so DM me if you'd like to connect and possibly do a playdate! We've also got other friends coming to SA from our current locale and their older son (14) speaks decent German. My older daughter and I 'get by', but my husband is conversationally fluent.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 17,574 times
Default German classes coming to SA this fall!

Thanks so much for everyones help. Good news! I contacted the German-Texan Heritage Society in Austin, TX and they are just starting to form classes for ALL ages in San Anotonio this fall!! The kids classes might be divided by ages 3-7 years and 7-13 years depending on enrollment and be taught for 1 and 1/2 hours on Saturdays. Location TBD. Contact 1-866-482-4847 or German-Texan Heritage Society Home Page if this might interest you too. Specific info. should be available by the end of may 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio