Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,058 times

Advertisements

I was wondering I have never been to Texas before and was wondering what the race relations are in San Antonio, Diversity, crime, employment, traffic and other things compared to Austin which isn’t too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 08:30 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
[Mod edit] I’m not quite sure I want to share my opinion. But I’ll let everyone else decide. A lot of the things you asked about are statistics that you can google. Population, crime numbers, unemployment rate, jobs available, etc

Last edited by elnina; 01-29-2020 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-28-2020, 03:35 AM

65 posts, read 68,650 times
Race relations?

They’re fine. All races of people live here.

You’ll hardly ever hear any type of race related violence or crimes in the news.

Crime isn’t too bad for a city and metro the size of San Antonio.

Traffic is bad during rush hour but even then it isn’t too bad compared to other places. The high way system in San Antonio is very extensive.

Public transportation does leave a lot to be desired.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:25 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,900 times
Gee, you can get all that data on this site right here. Just learn how to use it.

As an Anglo in San Antonio and therefore in the minority, here’s what I have observed in the 4 years I’ve been here. Some of this might be read as inflammatory but I’m just stating my experience.

I was surprised by just how friendly most Latinos are and the frequency that they spoke English, but had I thought about it for a while I would’ve realized that they’re many generations deep here. So English is king for the most part. Having become close to a Seniorita I’ll use some of her terms. There is a certain “ghetto” as she puts it element in parts of the city even in her family. So I see in her and other Latino families a struggle between those who want a better life for their family and those that want to “keep it real”. Still considering myself to be a bit of an outsider looking in, I see no race related crimes. What I do so more of here than any place I have lived is stabbings. When I hear of a stabbing on the news that is what I think of. The ghetto part of the culture here.

Stabbings and a failure to realize you can’t cross the street not in a cross walk without risk of getting killed are the things which strike me here. I even see it at the H-E-B. People will walk out into cars driving through and assume you’re going to stop even if you’re not in the cross walk. Try that in Jersey and it’s not going to end well.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:28 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
It didn't take long for the people to take the bait, right Ashbeeigh?

Old 01-28-2020, 09:39 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,560 times
They never learn.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:07 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAbroadGuy3621 View Post
I was wondering I have never been to Texas before and was wondering what the race relations are in San Antonio, Diversity, crime, employment, traffic and other things compared to Austin which isn’t too far away.
Diversity - both cities are pretty small, probably equally diverse. Depending on what you mean exactly
Crime - Austin is safer
Employment - both have lots of homeless but also lots of jobs
Traffic - Austin is much much worse

Race relations? I don't know. In Austin the city is mostly white. In San Antonio the city is mostly hispanic/mestizo. Obviously depending on which you are, in which city, you will have different experiences. It really isn't too bad in San Antonio if you are "anglo" (that is what white non hispanics are called in south Texas, even if they aren't British origin). I have never had outright racist interactions, I don't think, but definitely some subtle stuff here and there. On the other hand, I can tell that some hispanic people are extremely excited to talk to me sometimes. If you are anything besides white or hispanic you will likely have a hard time finding somebody your race to date

Old 01-28-2020, 08:26 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
It's literally just the latin version of Austin.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
I honestly don't think the cities are all that similar

Old 01-29-2020, 12:10 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
S.A. has a big city feel compared to small town Austin. It's easier to drive with the extensive hub-and-spoke freeway system. The Downtown is the only historic one for a major city in Texas. There are plenty of theme parks and water parks that attract Middle Americans from all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio