Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 05:58 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Stay convinced, just don't go out more than necessary. Practice social distancing and other safety precautions out of respect for others..
And how about those riding city buses every day? How can you keep a 6 foot distance on a city bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 06:40 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And how about those riding city buses every day? How can you keep a 6 foot distance on a city bus?
By sitting at least 6 feet away from other passengers.

From what I have seen, the buses here in San Antonio generally aren't packed to the gills with passengers, even at peak times. With many businesses closed, employees working from home, or having furloughed/laid off employees, the buses should be running nearly empty.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:31 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Looks like I have eaten my last Friday Special at LaFonda.

Cowardly owner sends letter to employees to inform then of restaurants' closings.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...Mzx5IrI3bYBDwE
A number of business owners all over the country are taking care of their employees even during this time. They are finding ways to adapt such as changing business models (stepping up their takout game, offering 0% financing for "X" months, offering click to door service etc.)

However, a lot of businesses all over the country are furloughing / firing their employees and then telling them what Jimmy (the owner of Jim's and LaFonda restaurants) said/did:

"but the current circumstances made immediacy our priority so that our employees could apply for unemployment and health insurance."

These same companies/owners will probably be the first in line with their hand out to get relief/payment from the government.

Government provided health insurance and government provided payments to citizens. Government provided payments and relief to business that did not engage in capitalism (making money off a good or service). That sound an awful lot like.....

Old 04-04-2020, 08:35 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
"but the current circumstances made immediacy our priority so that our employees could apply for unemployment and health insurance."

These same companies/owners will probably be the first in line with their hand out to get relief/payment from the government.

A condition for federal assistance should be the company must reimburse the state/fed for all UI, plus full back pay to all laid off employees. Make the cost significantly greater than not having laid them off.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:36 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Reversing course - CDC now recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-cover.html

Old 04-04-2020, 01:07 PM

603 posts, read 445,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Reversing course - CDC now recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-cover.html

I placed an order through one of the vendors on etsy.com for some masks with the pocket. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:35 PM

858 posts, read 681,572 times
We all need to just stay home.
Most of us already use online ordering and as of today 99% of anything you may need or due can be done via the internet or phone.
A sheet of cloth is not going to protect you are those around you.
Unless you are a fireman, police officer or work in the health industry, there is no valid reason to be outside.

We can all find new jobs, and deal with debt - what you can't deal with is death.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:19 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
COVID-19 MODELS WRONG

Can you believe we let the statisticians use their flawed preconceptions to bring the country to a halt?

NEW MODEL
https://news.yahoo.com/updated-uw-co...200508713.html

Metro Health- 78209 most positive cases
DeathS in 78209? ZERO

Remember the range of deaths predicted-100,000-240,000
Now in 60,000 range

I still think overblown.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:51 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
COVID-19 MODELS WRONG

Can you believe we let the statisticians use their flawed preconceptions to bring the country to a halt?

NEW MODEL
https://news.yahoo.com/updated-uw-co...200508713.html

Metro Health- 78209 most positive cases
DeathS in 78209? ZERO

Remember the range of deaths predicted-100,000-240,000
Now in 60,000 range

I still think overblown.
OR... it’s as the experts said - if social distancing works, the numbers will make it seem like it was a waste of time.

I know it looks like people are ignoring a lot of the social distancing requirements, but I believe closing the schools and ending sports events had the biggest impact.

We should feel fortunate that by pausing the economy, we will keep the virus death total to what it (hopefully) will end up being. That said, I cannot imagine the stress on nurses, doctors, and hospital staff (like the cleaning crews).

Old 04-08-2020, 06:22 PM

858 posts, read 681,572 times
Saw on the news yesterday that the food bank is handing out essentials (bread, milk, eggs, can goods, ect) to anyone who signs up and drives through a line. That is great, however while everyone is being told there are shortages of those items to buy the volunteers were standing beside a mountain of food.

So is the shortage only for paying customers?

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...hru-giveaways/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio