Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 10:21 AM

47 posts, read 28,586 times

Advertisements

Moved to San Antonio from Seattle for a job and was all excited about the fact that San Antonio is supposedly cheaper real estate-wise. Thought I'd be able to find cheap rent here...

No. I spent tons of hours scouring Craigslist, Trulia, and even went through an apartment locator for the same types of rooms I had in Seattle and so far I've learned that there are less options in SA and they are actually MORE expensive on average than in Seattle or Chicago or Denver (where I also lived before). That is, comparing the same quality rooms.

So while buying a home in SA may be cheaper than in coastal big cities, RENTING in San Antonio seems to be a whole other issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 11:14 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,206 times
Because the San Antonio / Austin (Silicon Hills - new Silicon Valley) belt is the number 3 moved to spot in the nation and Texas is the number 2 moved to state in the nation, investors (in this case apartment builders and property investors) are seeing dollar signs in their eyes and are flocking here. Its lucrative. Its big business. Its capitalism. Couple that with the increased demand because so many people are competing for homes (to buy and rent) as well as apartments, and no limit on how many rental homes one person can own (decreasing local home ownership levels) and you have an investors dream. Screw re-zoning, building more affordable starter homes, putting limits on how many rental homes one can own, increasing poverty rates, increasing homeless and at risk of homeless levels, the renter and the little guy, its all about mo money. Mo money, mo money.

I am sorry you are experiencing this. I experienced it too when in the market. You are not alone in feeling like this. COL of SA has increased and will continue to increase as more flock here. Used to be much more affordable. Now property taxes, home prices, and other things are continuing too climb because of demand.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Keep your head up and keep looking.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:34 AM

65 posts, read 68,624 times
What are you looking for bedroom wise and price wise?

Old 02-07-2020, 12:28 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,281 times
Who told you that renting was cheap here? Didn't you research?

Old 02-07-2020, 03:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Rental market in SA is awful

Catchy title... as I consider SA to be a delightful rental market (for owners of RE) I moved 50% of my RE investment to SA from WA State.

Thus... can you buy? housing is pretty CHEAP in Texas compared to left coast. (but climbing). Commercial props are DIRT cheap in TX, especially SA.

buy a a multi-unit, and have your tenants pay for your investment and that will cover your rent, and investment future

If you MUST rent... I would network to find a senior citizen with multiple living space (just as I recommend in high rent Seattle). Usually $300 - $500 for entire MIL apartment or daylight basement, and QUIET and SAFE.

Find someone who travels and needs a house / plant / pet sitter...

These will not be advertised, you must network to find them, as no-one will take 'who-ever' to share their home.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:04 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmann View Post
This is the real question that has not been answered.

FWIW, I moved to Austin in mid 2015. I just checked the price of my complex before moving. I was paying a bit under $700 when I left. The same unit, which doesn’t look to have been upgraded since, is about $838 right now. (I’m paying about $1100 up in Austin for a “luxury” apartment in suburban Austin).

Old 02-07-2020, 07:03 PM

863 posts, read 865,516 times
If rents and COL keep going up people will soon stop moving here. Problem solved.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:06 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmann View Post
My question exactly.

My son lives in Seattle and pays $2000/month for what is essentially a 380 sq ft studio apartment. I just checked the rents at a nice complex in the Stone Oak area and 750 sq ft units are renting for $1000.

My mortgage is $1850 for a 3000 sq ft home.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:38 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
If rents and COL keep going up people will soon stop moving here. Problem solved.
The days of moving to San Antonio for lower cost of living are almost over if not already for some, yet many are still flocking here.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:14 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
How’s that working for other large “It” cities? Seattle, San Francisco/Bay Area, Raleigh, Nashville and evening Austin? Not so well. People keep going to those places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio