Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times

Advertisements

Suspending the Gas Tax? | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Texas has a surplus of $12-$14 BILLION and they have to think about suspending the state gas tax for 3 months?

Granted, it's temporary, and not a whole lot of tax savings, but sheesh, every little bit helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
I agree it would be nice if Texas at least lowers the tax rater temporarily. I would like to take a slight tangent to sapphire's op. Even though gas prices keep rising every week, did you know that our government is STILL pumping 50,000 barrels a day into the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve in Texas and Louisiana? This is definitely not helping the situation. IMO, they should halt this temporarily (at least through the summer) and release some of the almost 700 million barrels already in the reserve to produce more diesel fuel to help bring down the prices our commercial trucks have to pay that raise prices throughout the economy.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Surplus? Tell me again why we need toll roads if there's a surplus of highway money.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I agree it would be nice if Texas at least lowers the tax rater temporarily. I would like to take a slight tangent to sapphire's op. Even though gas prices keep rising every week, did you know that our government is STILL pumping 50,000 barrels a day into the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve in Texas and Louisiana? This is definitely not helping the situation. IMO, they should halt this temporarily (at least through the summer) and release some of the almost 700 million barrels already in the reserve to produce more diesel fuel to help bring down the prices our commercial trucks have to pay that raise prices throughout the economy.
About 100 truckers protested in DC on Monday--over the diesel prices. More would have shown up, but they couldn't afford the diesel to get there. The truckers shut down, and we're in trouble.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
About 100 truckers protested in DC on Monday--over the diesel prices. More would have shown up, but they couldn't afford the diesel to get there. The truckers shut down, and we're in trouble.
That's why we need to start buying local, so we're not so dependent upon long-haul for anything.

Problem is, it's such a part of our way of life, that it's not only hard to change, it's nearly impossible. We have farmers' markets here, but they are few and far between because there just hadn' tbeen the demand. Now we have to start demanding local food so the farmers have some one local to sell to.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
That's why we need to start buying local, so we're not so dependent upon long-haul for anything.

Problem is, it's such a part of our way of life, that it's not only hard to change, it's nearly impossible. We have farmers' markets here, but they are few and far between because there just hadn' tbeen the demand. Now we have to start demanding local food so the farmers have some one local to sell to.
Though buying local is a good idea, it is not always practical. For one, in manufacturing raw material usually comes from other areas of the country (steel for example). Also, our local CPS uses coal from Wyoming that is brought to us by trains that burn diesel.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Though buying local is a good idea, it is not always practical. For one, in manufacturing raw material usually comes from other areas of the country (steel for example). Also, our local CPS uses coal from Wyoming that is brought to us by trains that burn diesel.
Oh I agree it's not practical for everything, but for the basic necessities of life, i.e. food, we can do a lot more than we do now.

And maybe we need to re-think how our utilities run? I realize such things are grand changes, but now's the time to start considering it. Well, the time was 20 years ago, but now we have no choice.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,552 times
As much as I would like to see lower gas prices, these are all temporary solutions. We as country need to buckle down and make the adjustments for the higher cost of fuel, It sucks but we need to do it. While I think we are in a temporary oil bubble, I doubt we are going down below $2/gallon again. Before we discount the cost of fuel, lets give industry time to get more containers off the road and onto rail. Let give truckers the chance to economize their rigs(super single tires, aux generators,..).

And more importantly lets give everyone a chance to economize with their own personal transport if needed. There is good stuff coming out in the next year or from the car companies(diesels, downsized turbo gassers, more hybrids and other tweaks for economy). Until the bubble busts, just drop the lead foot and drive the speed limit.

But long term it is time drop regulation on where we can and cant drill. It is past time to open up anwr and offshore. Both of these can done without damaging the environment.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
cwh

Quote:
Dont worry about the diesel used to transport that coal, it is very little compared to the amount of energy they are using. And once CPS gets its scrubbers installed they can probably burn some dirty texas coal. Also since rail transports alot of coal, I think they should set up coal to syndiesel plant at these mines so rail can make their own fuel.

And if you want to stop transporting fuel, nuclear is about the only way to go.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Truckers are not going to shut down, it is just going to cost more. If truckers shut down that will just accelerate containers getting on rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio