Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 09:07 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,417,368 times

Advertisements

There was no singling out because of race. The police had a description of the suspect they were looking for-no jogging while black. They were looking for a specific individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 09:28 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,067,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
There was no singling out because of race. The police had a description of the suspect they were looking for-no jogging while black. They were looking for a specific individual.
Did you see the mugshot of the suspect? He looked nothing like the guy they stopped.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,808,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Did you see the mugshot of the suspect? He looked nothing like the guy they stopped.
Exactly. One had a big beard while the other didn't. IIRC.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Exactly. One had a big beard while the other didn't. IIRC.
Did the victim describe a beard?

Old 09-01-2020, 02:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,755,553 times
Charges have been dropped. https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...attorney-says/

Old 09-02-2020, 09:55 AM

1,514 posts, read 895,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There are a significant number of videos of similar incidents to what happened to this man (Mathias Ometu) posted to social media on a fairly regular basis for years now regarding unprofessional-ism and / or excessive use of force by a peace officer(s) (Police) with compliant and / or subdued and / or wrongfully detained victims. Often with people of color (non whites).

These incidents of excessive use of force (or non professionalism) can lead to wrongful detainment at best up to felony charges (resisting arrest) and injury or death of the victim at worst. Some deaths even occur after the victim is completely detained, not armed and compliant and is a non threat. There are reports that these types of incidents that do not receive widespread public viewership / knowledge are swept under the rug. Where justice to the victims where not served.

We are seeing some local stories (such as this one) here and some incidents playing out nationally. Protesting such circumstances has occurred in all 50 states recently regarding non professionalism (up to excessive use of force) by Police Officers. Protests have also occurred throughout the world regarding this topic (excessive use of force with George Floyd) a subdued, not armed, black male who was compliant and restrained for over 7 minutes before his death by asphyxiation by a police office keeling on his neck.

What appears to have happened here and with other nationally acclaimed incidents is that these incidents were fortunately recorded for evidence and accountability. How many are not recorded? Also, what is interesting and from what I understand is that while the SA police department received funding for body cameras and has them, they coincidentally were turned off (or not equipped) for this incident.

What is also interesting is in the video posted in the OP link, the police actually attempted to go to the people who recorded the video after the incident (in what appear to be either their home or workplace) and asked for personal information such as their social media accounts. Being as the people who recorded the incident were attorneys, they probably knew their rights and refused. Not many people are attorneys in situations like this and many people do not know their rights.

While this incident did not have shots fired and / or have a fatality (such as with George Floyd) and all the facts are not known by the public, from what is seen it appears to again be poor police policy / professionalism at the very least. This led to the detainment and initial felony charges (now dropped) of a man who had no prior police record and was not involved at all in any crime. He was detained even after the police where told that is not him. He was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Racially motivated? I am unsure. These type of incidents do appear to happen to non whites more then whites so possibly so. Maybe a possibility of wrongful stereotyping as the actual criminal and the victim appear to look nothing alike. Again, I am unsure as I was not there, I can not read the police officers minds and I do not know all the facts.

I personally believe we need the Police and the majority are good. Like the military, they should be well trained, equipped and funded. Maybe they even need more funding. However, there does appear there is a bigger issue of race relations and stereotyping at play here from video accounts and from what many others are saying (and have been saying over the years) and by the sheer size and length of time of the protesting. Improving policies, procedures and weeding out bad apples is absolutely essential for any group or organization.

With that said, would charges for this man been dropped if it had not been recorded and not received media and public attention?

Old 09-02-2020, 11:16 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,516,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
There are a significant number of videos of similar incidents to what happened to this man (Mathias Ometu) posted to social media on a fairly regular basis for years now regarding unprofessional-ism and / or excessive use of force by a peace officer(s) (Police) with compliant and / or subdued and / or wrongfully detained victims. Often with people of color (non whites).

These incidents of excessive use of force (or non professionalism) can lead to wrongful detainment at best up to felony charges (resisting arrest) and injury or death of the victim at worst. Some deaths even occur after the victim is completely detained, not armed and compliant and is a non threat. There are reports that these types of incidents that do not receive widespread public viewership / knowledge are swept under the rug. Where justice to the victims where not served.

We are seeing some local stories (such as this one) here and some incidents playing out nationally. Protesting such circumstances has occurred in all 50 states recently regarding non professionalism (up to excessive use of force) by Police Officers. Protests have also occurred throughout the world regarding this topic (excessive use of force with George Floyd) a subdued, not armed, black male who was compliant and restrained for over 7 minutes before his death by asphyxiation by a police office keeling on his neck.

What appears to have happened here and with other nationally acclaimed incidents is that these incidents were fortunately recorded for evidence and accountability. How many are not recorded? Also, what is interesting and from what I understand is that while the SA police department received funding for body cameras and has them, they coincidentally were turned off (or not equipped) for this incident.

What is also interesting is in the video posted in the OP link, the police actually attempted to go to the people who recorded the video after the incident (in what appear to be either their home or workplace) and asked for personal information such as their social media accounts. Being as the people who recorded the incident were attorneys, they probably knew their rights and refused. Not many people are attorneys in situations like this and many people do not know their rights.

While this incident did not have shots fired and / or have a fatality (such as with George Floyd) and all the facts are not known by the public, from what is seen it appears to again be poor police policy / professionalism at the very least. This led to the detainment and initial felony charges (now dropped) of a man who had no prior police record and was not involved at all in any crime. He was detained even after the police where told that is not him. He was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Racially motivated? I am unsure. These type of incidents do appear to happen to non whites more then whites so possibly so. Maybe a possibility of wrongful stereotyping as the actual criminal and the victim appear to look nothing alike. Again, I am unsure as I was not there, I can not read the police officers minds and I do not know all the facts.

I personally believe we need the Police and the majority are good. Like the military, they should be well trained, equipped and funded. Maybe they even need more funding. However, there does appear there is a bigger issue of race relations and stereotyping at play here from video accounts and from what many others are saying (and have been saying over the years) and by the sheer size and length of time of the protesting. Improving policies, procedures and weeding out bad apples is absolutely essential for any group or organization.

With that said, would charges for this man been dropped if it had not been recorded and not received media and public attention?

First off, they DID have body cameras, and they were on and recorded the incident. The video has been shown on the local news (partially), and I'm sure it's on the internet somewhere. It's over an hour long, I understand.
The reason he was arrested was because he fought the police by kicking at them, hitting one in the face. He was arguing and combative from the moment the cops stopped him.
Could the incident have been handled differently by the police? Maybe so, but the problem is, when someone starts being combative, it raises the incident to another level. By arguing and saying I'm being harassed because of the color of my skin is BS. He fit the general description given to them. ANY person in a similar situation would have been handled the same way.

It could have been handled differently by Mr Ometu as well. Was he in his LEGAL right to decline to identify himself in this instance? Yes he was. BUT, he could have easily just gave them the info they requested, and he would be on his way in 5 minutes. The police acted on the info they were given by the dispatcher. Simple as that. They explained to him right away why they stopped him. Instead of cooperating and clearing his name of a serious crime, he became combative. Why? That to me, just raises suspicion. This man's skin color did not put him in jail. His ACTIONS did. Period.

I, for one, if stopped in a similar situation, would do what they requested, so they could cross me off as a suspect and find the real person guilty of the crime. Why complicate things?

Twice in my life, I have been stopped by the police because the car I was driving, matched the description of a vehicle used in an armed robbery. We're talking multiple police cars from different agencies surrounding my car, guns drawn. Once in San Antonio, and once out in the country by Castroville. I knew I was innocent, so I did what they told me, didn't give them any lip, and in a few minutes, we all shook hands and went on with our day. It wasn't because of "white privilege ", it was because I didn't act like a fool.

I fully agree one should stand up for your rights, but use common sense. Cooperating with the police doesn't make you or I a wimp, or someone that doesn't believe in their constitutional rights. Use your head, people.

Last edited by txtea; 09-02-2020 at 12:31 PM..

Old 09-02-2020, 01:58 PM

The moment he realized he wasn't being harassed, his attitude should have become cooperative.

The police had a mission and were being impeded.

Being an idiot has no place.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:15 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,067,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
The moment he realized he wasn't being harassed, his attitude should have become cooperative.

The police had a mission and were being impeded.

Being an idiot has no place.
I guess he just needs to do what “massa” say and be a good little Toby huh?

Old 09-02-2020, 04:32 PM

No, recognize the police have a responsibility to protect the population. This had nothing to do with race. The police were looking for a culprit trying to escape. They had a description.

Why do we have those that think everything has a racial component?

Now if I had been detained, it would .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio