Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 03:43 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times

Advertisements

This is horrible. It is very alarming that a cop can shoot you while you are minding your business and enjoying a hamburger.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-driver.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 06:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Horrible.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:28 AM

59 posts, read 46,831 times
Horrible. Kid probably thought he was getting carjacked. Why not knock on the window? Why immediately yank open the door with gun drawn? Good job by SAPD leadership firing this officer.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:00 PM

After reading a couple more articles from various sources, it seems like bad decisions were made by both the teenager and the police officer. I say this assuming the teenager knew it was a cop while trying to get away from by backing up and attempting to flee.

I am not sure how I would react if someone suddenly opened my door, even if it was a cop but I don't think that is allowed?

Calling and waiting for back up and then knocking on the door and asking questions would have had a better outcome.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
After reading a couple more articles from various sources, it seems like bad decisions were made by both the teenager and the police officer. I say this assuming the teenager knew it was a cop while trying to get away from by backing up and attempting to flee.

I am not sure how I would react if someone suddenly opened my door, even if it was a cop but I don't think that is allowed?

Calling and waiting for back up and then knocking on the door and asking questions would have had a better outcome.

You talk like fleeing from a cop is an unwise decision.
Since when is cooperating with law enforcement a guarantee of survival.

We need to get away from that "he was not cooperative" line of thinking. All these videos show cops shout demands and immediately proceed with lethal force.

Cops are permitted to use lethal force if the perpetrator of a felony was caught in flagrente delicto and trying to escape and only if it doesn't endanger the public in the process. I am not certain what crime this kid was caught doing; but I don't think eating fast food is a felony.

That kid made the smartest decision he ever made. He would most certainly be in cold storage right now has he not driven off.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:45 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
Hopefully the cop gets blackballed and can never work in law enforcement again. Betcha he never sees a day in prison. (Which is where he needs to be).

Old 10-08-2022, 02:16 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,682 times
Fired, step one.

Now they need to press criminal charges.

The family will sue. The department (well, insurance company) will hemorrhage money.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:39 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times
If this was Brazil, both occupants of the car would be dead and any investigation would be swept under the carpet.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
If this was Brazil, both occupants of the car would be dead and any investigation would be swept under the carpet.
How are we any different?

Old 10-08-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You talk like fleeing from a cop is an unwise decision.
It depends on the situation.

I admitted I wouldn't know what to do if faced with that same situation but only if I didn't know if it was a police officer. That being said, the officer did a poor job of approaching him and how he reacted to the kid trying to take off which is the root cause to how the events played out.

I hope the police union stays away from fighting on his behalf on this one. He should never be in law enforcement again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio