Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family moving from Dallas to San Antonio, seeking advice on finding schools with small class sizes, choir and theater program, speech pathology expert, clean air

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
what would the outerlying areas be compared to the north rim and burbs of Dallas? Also what would be some zip codes for Northwood and Stone Oak? We currently live in Mckinney, Texas which is 30 miles north of downtown Dallas, my husbands commute is TERRIBLE. Living close in could help for better quality time for sure.

Another question, my husband was looking at Helio and was dreaming about having 1 acre. What would commute times be from that area, and other areas such as Boerne, the UTSA area, Ciblo? Am I missing any other areas outside of SA that are pretty scenic with nice schools and not that hard of a drive?
I lived in Dallas for 3 years (that's 3 years of my life I'll never get back!) and would offer up these comparisons (smuboy, feel free to rebut):
Allen & McKinney = Stone Oak, Bulverde & far west SA toward & beyond Seaworld (distances/commute times shorter in SA, but still that would be our equivalent)
Highland Park & Park Cities = Olmos Park, Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights
Lakewood/M-Streets = Monte Vista, Mahncke Park
Uptown = The Quarry
Historic Oak Cliff & Swiss Avenue = King William/Lavaca
Oak Cliff = West Side inside 410 (Lanier HS area to St. Mary's Univ)
Richardson = residential area north of 410, east and west of I-10
Plano/Coppell = Some parts of Stone Oak, most of the far northwest part of SA
Mesquite = Converse, Universal City
Arlington = New Braunfels
Southlake = Dominion & maybe the more exclusive parts of Alamo Ranch

Interestingly, in reviewing this list I just realized that when I lived in Dallas I bought a house in the M-streets. Today I live in Mahncke Park and just bought a house in Monte Vista/Tobin Hill. I guess this leopard doesn't change her spots.

Zip codes:
Stone Oak Zip Codes?
Need help locating good zip code map
Stone Oak or Shavano Park?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/3690169-post10.html
This doesn't list specific subdivision names but does give you the municipality within SA San Antonio, Texas ZIP Code Map and Business Directory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
I would put Stone Oak as being similar to Frisco, and the less expensive parts of West Plano, but not planned as well or taken care of.
The Dominion I would describe as being like the wealthier subdivsions of West Plano. I would say that Universal City, Live Oak as being like Garland, and Converse being similar to Mesquite, or sasche or wylie. I would describe Windcrest as being most like Richardson, along with the Wurzbach Parkway corridor. There are parts of Alamo Heights, that are similar to Lakewood, and like I said before I see definite similarities between our Northwood and Preston Hollow.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:10 AM

436 posts, read 1,614,254 times
Interesting comparisons... thanks!

we are currently in west plano (*not* willow bend).... I jokingly say we are in the "hood" for plano west sr. high, meaning our neighborhood is "only" in the low-mid-300s and the teenagers drive normal small suvs, not beamers. (although the maserati/ferrari/porsche/audi/bmw/hummer dealerships are all within 3-4 miles of us. and yes, I do see them on the road sometimes.)

so, based on the comparison, we should be stone/oak or far northwest. can you give me some specific neighborhood names to look at? I had been focusing up on i-10, but the higher prices and uncertainity of future development and schools has concerned me.

eta: one of our concerns in living in w. plano is that our kiddos will think we are "poor" compared to other people at their schools. and we do not want them to think that, since w. plano is *not* reality. we are more blessed than most people in the world and we want to keep that in perspective for them. but, at the same time, I want them to have the best possible schools and live in a very safe area in a nice home. a bit of a quandry when picking locations that you know nothing about and have never seen.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
If you will be commuting downtown then better for you to live in the 78209 zip code. Alamo Hts, Terrell Hills, Olmos Park are all older neighborhoods with old money. Anything in the 78209 zip is a good investment. Monte Vista is also very nice but not in a good school district but they have good private schools. Avoid Stone Oak and 281... the traffic is crazy.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Sorry didn't read your last post. Try going out I-10 DeZavala area... I think that is Clark High School. Are you looking for a new home or older home? Shavano Park is very nice. I think that is Clark also and has the Jewish Community Center... great place for kids. Shavano is off NW Military Dr and Huebner/DeZavala area. Churchill is a good high school and there are alot of nice residential areas out Blanco road towards 1604 and beyond 1604 but traffic is really bad. Stay away from Timberwood Park. I have a friend that lives in Blanco Woods... nice neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio