Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 06:31 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times

Advertisements

Research level, I have a BS in chemistry and 6 years of experience in research. The pay was not so great either. They offered me something like $12/hr for shift work (no way in hell) and $14/hr for something I made $55k/yr for in San Diego. Nice place but for temp work and no benies I was not game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Odd. Most of the people I know are researchers - most higher level (PhD or Masters), but also many with just B.S. And most make fairly decent salaries. You won't get equivalent $ in SA in most jobs, as COL is much lower here and salaries reflect that, but all my SwRI friends seem quite comfortable...Benefits are quite good - we're on them. I work for the state but DH's benefits from SwRI are much better. Not as good as COSA, but pretty decent.

Maybe the problem is going through the temp agency? No one I know there had used a temp agency, they were recruited to full time. One of my friends was a recruiter there as well.

All that said, Fierce's partner would not be suitable for a research position, according to Fierce.

Should also add, as a non-profit, salaries will be lower than in industry, but generally are competitive. It wouldn't shock me that temp positions are much lower status/pay. I just don't think they primarily hire through temp agencies for professional positions.

Fierce - SwRI, like other big companies in town, has a cafeteria. I think employ there would also get benefits. Something to consider.

Last edited by Chaka; 06-08-2008 at 07:45 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 08:41 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Ugh. Things are not good here.

My GF just lost her job of 15 months. Yes it was a sucky job but a job nonetheless. I was laid off last month and am getting unemployment but it's peanuts and only covers the mortgage. I haven't received child support in over a year.. so we're kinda screwed.

One of us needs to find something NOW, probably her because she is not likely to qualify for unemployment (she was fired). Her skills are low-wage but she is a good worker, dependable, loyal. Cashier, pizza cook, some construction (minor), some delivery (but currently her car is dead).. she has transpo but not for delivery purposes.

She's open to anything. Would love any leads. It's going to be doubly hard because she was fired and not sure how to get around that fact but that's the fact anyway.

I know the next question will be "why was she fired?" so here goes: she's worked nights at her job for over a year (4 or 5pm to close which is midnight or 1am). Boss changed the schedule last minute and wanted her to work a split shift today, 9 to 2 then 5 to close. Being a night-job person all this time (at his request.. she was actually hired for days) she generally doesn't go to bed until 4 am, usually getting off work at 1am or thereabouts. She had only 2 days to adjust herself (while still working nights as usual) and simply overslept. She called at noon and was told she was fired. She's in shock right now.. she knows it was wrong of her to not come in at 9 and she should have managed to get up but she has been there all this time and has been the ONLY one to never ask for time off, never call in sick, always shows up and has been receiving nothing but praise from the boss for being a good worker. He is hot tempered though and now it's over.

She'd been looking elsewhere anyway for a while as this job was not conducive to family life... 1 day off a week, no pay increases over a capped amount which she hit within 3 months, boss repeatedly promised to put her back on days (what she was hired for) and hadn't done so after over a year, hours would go from 40 to 25 without warning, sometimes she'd show up only to be sent home due to "slowness" in business, , not even staying long enough to pay for gas to get there and get home.. it was not a good situation but she had hoped to give notice and quit when she had something else, not just be jobless without warning. And in case you are wondering, no, there'd been NO warnings of any kind prior to today's issue. None verbal or anything else. She'd actually been approached more than once about management positions but she declined, not planning to stay there long term anyway and not wanting the management responsibilities (not worth the small pay increase).

So, what are her chances on getting hired elsewhere ASAP and how to explain this? I guess this is kinda off topic. Sorry.
Now that several posts have been removed.....

Let's not wander too far off track here folks. If you can assist the OP, terrific, if not we do have a very active 'off topic' thread available at the top of the forum page. Thanks everyone

Old 06-08-2008, 11:56 PM

45 posts, read 99,330 times
I was at the Sears yesterday at what used to be Central Park Mall and they had signs posted that they're hiring now.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Do keep us posted and keep your chin up in your search...we are here to SUPPORT each other in the time of need. Sometimes life throws us curve balls...but as long as we have FRIENDS, we make it thru the rough times.

Here is to hoping the job search is VERY successful today!!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,673 times
I also thought you could get unemployment if you are fired. Even for cause. She should file anyway. All they can do is say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
yeeeeeeah..... fierce I really think your GF should qualify for unemployment. My understanding (and I'm not a lawyer or counselor or anything important at all) is that if a person is laid off or fired they can file. Just can't if they "quit" (tho a friend of ours did file AND collect because it was basically a "forced" resignation). Like SilverCreek said, if it's as you've described, ya outta check in to it.

In the meantime, I wish you both the best!! Wish I could offer some ideas of places that are hiring, but not sure.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Any updates on the job search? We're all rootin' for her!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:29 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Well at this point still searching. She filed for UI too and will probably donate plasma tomorrow. We have done that in the past when we had to. It makes me ill though, seriously. I don't mean mentally... but physically ill for hours after. Doesn't bother her as much.

She's put in lots of apps and has lots more to go. She ran into a coworker today from her recent job and he was just shocked, apparently he didn't know if she'd quit or what. He suggested she go to the main office and appeal the firing and ask them to put her in a different location. Wonder if it's worth a shot?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:17 AM

Anything is worth a shot--they can't kill you, they can only tell you no. Sounds like she has a manager that just acted with emotion and now she (your GF) can't help you put food on the table. Yes, in my opinion, she should go to the main office.

Sorry about the plasma thing.....I think I would have a terrible time with that, too. It's hard enough to give blood when I'm at my own doctor's office. Good luck......this too shall pass.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 AM

Hey fierce--if she's still looking, this might work for her:
Retail Arts & Crafts Sales (http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ret/712703440.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio