Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times

Advertisements

I figure this is San Antonio-related since most of us have a/c and we're in a drought prone place. I've never lived in a house with a/c before now.

The water comes out of a PVC pipe under the house (pier and beam, so raised about 3 ft off the ground). Initially we just placed a 5 gallon bucket under there to catch it and figured we'd get to it some day.

I'm collecting at least 15-20 gals of water a day, and that's running the a/c at 80F (so not continuous). I'm usually not home during the day so it's not running, but today I actually paid closer attention. We use the water to water all our plants, trees and struggling lawn. For now I tip the bucket into a watering can and make multiple trips.

1) the Bucket is ugly and I'm actually beginning to care what the yard looks like (see yard pics post)

2) tipping it over 3-4x day is a pain.

Could a fountain work here? Ideally the inlet would be the pvc pipe there now, but there'd be an outlet where I could attach a hose to move it around the yard as needed. I'm totally clueless about how fountains work. Is this set up possible?

On a different note - does anyone have a pump for bath water? I'd love to be able to use the bath water outside w/o having to transfer via bucket (which we don't do now but probably will once drought restrictions hit - we've got mostly drought tolerant plantings, but they're all new, so needing extra now to get started). Any suggestions on how to set this up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 PM

933 posts, read 1,978,673 times
Probably not a lot of value I can add here, but what the builders did to my house (slab construction) is they have a piece of pvc pipe running partially submerged, but still viewable at the grass line and have the water dumping directly under ground into the lawn. Sure, this does great for the front 40, but the back 40 needs a lot more love...though with the heat, watering has not helped much, so I just turn my sprinklers on the front yard for my flowers. Oh wait...four of my rose bushes died...which is not usual for me. Now if only I can find my Home Depot receipt so I can take them back. grrrrrrr...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
So you don't get excess water, or a softening or depression at this site? Given our foundation shifting issues, I want to direct the water as far away from the house as possible.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM

933 posts, read 1,978,673 times
So far...no...but it is the greenest part of the yard...but the most of the day shade probably helps a bit too. During the "Winter" it was the wettest part of the yard, but it was not squishy by any sense of the word.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
yes, thats exactly what you want to do, into a rock garden area, or something at least two or three feet away from the house. termites love the ac water area

Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
In new construction the A/C line dumps back into the plumbing waste line. Ours ties into one of our Master Bedroom sink drains. It is sad that you can not capture the large amount of water that these systems generate.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Air conditioning condensate from my house drains from the attic into a drain line for a sink upstairs. What I did was get a 3/4" T connection, a spigot, and a male-male adapter to install between the drain line and the sink. If I need water, I just put a bucket below the valve, open it up and wait. Don't need water, just leave it closed and it works as it did before.

I use the water to keep my low-PH loving plants alive. The tap water here is way too basic for them. So far my little scheme is working great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: