Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times

Advertisements

On the new ramp going from 410 to 281 why does the sign say San Antonio, South when I am already in San Antonio. There are numerous signs like this in the city. I know at 1604 and 281 it says San Antonio 13 miles but I already in San Antonio. These signs need updating.

The street sign here do not display what block you in. this makes it very hard to find an address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
The distance is to downtown.

It'd be pretty annoying to see 'San Antonio 13 miles" and find when you're at 1604, you have another 15-20 miles to go before you hit downtown.

That's common in most places I've lived - the distance markers are to the city center/downtown. The difference is that SA city limits are very broad in comparison to most cities.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Waiting for TXHWYman to jump in, but city displayed on freeway signs are known as the Control City. San Antonio is the Control city for all signs on freeways southbound until Downtown. Although a few are signed as "Downtown San Antonio". The street signs for the most part do have the block numbers at the bottom, only the older ones don't and as they are place they get the updated style. This also depends what city you are in, AH off the top of my head does not do this.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
I just wish they would put enough street signs at intersections that no matter what part of the intersection you are sitting in you can see what intersection you are sitting in. Does that make sense? Especially downtown I have noticed this. It's very common to be at an intersection and only have half of the information. The signage will only indicate what street you are on or what the crossstreet is but not both. Very annoying, especially if you are lost or confused or both.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
Culebra heading west outside of 410. If you go to turn left on potranco road it isn't signed as such. The sign reads "Rio Medina".

Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Oh, it could be far worse... I've found it easier to find the block of whatever street I'm on here than in other places I've lived.

About the downtown thing, I'm used to seeing "*Wherever* City Center" in reference to going towards downtown.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:09 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Waiting for TXHWYman to jump in, but city displayed on freeway signs are known as the Control City. San Antonio is the Control city for all signs on freeways southbound until Downtown. Although a few are signed as "Downtown San Antonio". The street signs for the most part do have the block numbers at the bottom, only the older ones don't and as they are place they get the updated style. This also depends what city you are in, AH off the top of my head does not do this.
Yep, you got it right on both counts.

"San Antonio", for the purpose of highway signs, is downtown. Specifically, the zero mile marker is San Fernado Cathedral, so all distance signs are based on that. Yes, I know it seems silly to have "San Antonio" listed as the control city on signs when you're already well within the city. Most radial routes use "Downtown San Antonio" as the control city within and approaching Loop 410. I do wish they would also do that on the Loop 410 signs for those radials as well. If only I were in charge...

As for block numbers on street name signs, the city started adding those about a decade or so ago. There are still some older signs that don't have them, and even some newer signs lack them, but for the most part, block numbers are now standard on street name signs in San Antonio. And as smuboy86 mentioned, many suburbs don't put block numbers on their signs, although some have now started to.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I just wish they would put enough street signs at intersections that no matter what part of the intersection you are sitting in you can see what intersection you are sitting in. Does that make sense? Especially downtown I have noticed this. It's very common to be at an intersection and only have half of the information. The signage will only indicate what street you are on or what the crossstreet is but not both. Very annoying, especially if you are lost or confused or both.
As you sit at an intersection, you should always see the sign for the intersecting street, and that should be the only sign readily visible. I guess the idea is that you should already know what street you are on. In any case, you can still turn to look at the signs facing the intersecting street to see what street you're on.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Culebra heading west outside of 410. If you go to turn left on potranco road it isn't signed as such. The sign reads "Rio Medina".
The sign you are seeing is a distance sign to Rio Medina. Rio Medina is the control city for FM 1957. It's located at the western end of the route in Medina County. The road itself is signed as both FM 1957 (state) and Potranco Road (city).

Old 06-10-2008, 08:02 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
The signs should say 13 miles to downtown San Antonio instead of San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio