Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 AM

55 posts, read 155,631 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

In an unexpected turn of events, it looks like I might be relocating to SA within the next month or so. I have never set foot in Texas, I know nothing about SA and I have no idea where to look for housing. Since I still own my house in Florida (tenant occupied) that I cannot unload right now, buying is not an option; I have to rent. Unfortunately I'm kind of particular about what I'm looking for....I don't know what the rental market is like in San Antonio so I have no idea if what I want even exists. But this is what I'm looking for, and any suggestions/ideas for where to look, who to contact, etc, would be greatly appreciated!
  • Must be a house or a townhouse--no apartments or condos
  • Prefer that the home be brand new or very new--under five years old
  • Would like to be relatively close to shopping, restaurants, banks, etc...not necessarily walking distance (although that is great), but just not WAY out in the middle of nowhere
  • Would LOVE a fenced yard/courtyard. I have no idea how common this is in TX or SA specifically.
  • My upper price limit is 1800 a month.
  • I only "need" 2 bedrooms but would prefer 2 bedroom + den, or 3 bedrooms.
  • I have two small dogs so I need a pet friendly area
  • Schools are a non-issue--no kids
I'm in my early 30s, single and therefore want to be near activity.

Any ideas? I have NO idea where to start or who I should contact.

Thanks everyone in advance! I have more questions on SA in general but I'll post those separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 06:32 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
[quote=leavingCT;4157041]

Any ideas? I have NO idea where to start or who I should contact./QUOTE]

I have an idea of where you can start. Start by reading the sticky at the top of the SA page. That'll give you a good idea regarding areas etc...answers a lot of questions. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 AM

[quote=firstclassflyer;4157277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingCT View Post

Any ideas? I have NO idea where to start or who I should contact./QUOTE]

I have an idea of where you can start. Start by reading the sticky at the top of the SA page. That'll give you a good idea regarding areas etc...answers a lot of questions. Good luck!
Thank you....actually I did read the sticky. I still do not have a good idea of neighborhoods or areas to look at or any realtors who do rentals...?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
How do you feel about traffic and long commutes? If that's important, we need to know what part of the city you will be working in.

Most of the <5 year housing stock is outside of loop 1604, so that will probably lengthen your commute, unless your employer is also there. The area with the most commerce outside 1604 at your price point is between IH-10 and IH-35 on the north side. The midpoint of that zone is Stone Oak, and that's where you will find the most commerce.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
We can't even begin to help you without you providing much more information. This city is big. Will you be working? Where? Gay? Want gay friendly area? You can start with those, as these will help narrow down the areas that you'll want to be in. Commute times can vary wildly.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
We can't even begin to help you without you providing much more information. This city is big. Will you be working? Where? Gay? Want gay friendly area? You can start with those, as these will help narrow down the areas that you'll want to be in. Commute times can vary wildly.
Good point.

Not gay--but single and looking. No kids, just dogs.

I've heard that the traffic can be tough so that will be a challenge. The office I'll be working in is in the 78229 zip code. Unfortunately I know nothing about the area, neighborhoods, etc., so I do not have a clue about what is near there residentially.

Any ideas, greatly appreciated..........

Old 06-19-2008, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 29,098 times
I was in the 'same boat' two years ago. May I suggest that you DO rent an apartment for a year. This will give you time to search for the exact type of living space you desire.
I bought a home rather hastily, and now that I know SA better, I most likely would have made a different choice.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingCT View Post
The office I'll be working in is in the 78229 zip code. Unfortunately I know nothing about the area, neighborhoods, etc., so I do not have a clue about what is near there residentially.
78229 is at the NW corner of Loop 410, just west of where it intersects with I-10. Locals will know that as south of the Medical Center and north of 410.

There's not much new residential development in 78229 and Stone Oak is probably not the best option for you. In fact, getting there from the east or the north is less than ideal from a traffic standpoint, but those are the directions where most of the new residential development is. Maybe some of the folks here who live in the Northwest will chime in with some better ideas for you?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 29,098 times
For $1,800 (and many times less) you could rent a house in SA. Prices are much different here than in the N.E. That would give you a yard for the dogs too. It may be beneficial for you to contact a real estate agent in SA or look at rental classified ads on-line.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
How do you feel about traffic and long commutes? If that's important, we need to know what part of the city you will be working in.

Most of the <5 year housing stock is outside of loop 1604, so that will probably lengthen your commute, unless your employer is also there. The area with the most commerce outside 1604 at your price point is between IH-10 and IH-35 on the north side. The midpoint of that zone is Stone Oak, and that's where you will find the most commerce.
Actually, there are some brand spanking new townhomes in King William and Lavaca, both as rentals. Moderator cut: use direct message

Last edited by autumngal; 06-19-2008 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio