Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM

137 posts, read 284,072 times

Advertisements

I just saw a commercial for internet at 24.95 I believe with TWC. I went online and priced it and it would be 85.00 for 200 HD quality channels (or so they say) and roadrunner with power boost. Anyone think its a good deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM

26 posts, read 93,859 times
Wow, thanks for all the replies and good info, everyone. Lots of happy DirecTV users, seems my aunt's problems are not a common occurrence.

We had Dish a number of years back and it was fine, the only real problem with it (which led us to cable) was signal loss when it rained. Since we don't get rain anymore, guess that's no longer a worry, eh? ;-)

But yeah, if DirecTV is better than Dish when it comes to signal loss, sounds like they're just who I want.

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 AM

168 posts, read 483,076 times
Default The importance of a good HDMI cable.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by open minded View Post
I have had TWC for years now but my husband wants to switch to satellite. Our cable has "tiling" issues and he is just sick if dealing with TWC......
We have had horrendous pixelation(tiling) issues in the past. We still experience the problem on occasion but the largest improvement came from buying a HDMI 1.3 compliant cable that connects between the HD TV and the Time Warner box. It dramatically reduced this problem. You can find these cables for well under $20 but call the manufacturer before you buy. A $100 cable will not do ant better than a lower cost model. You can read more about these cables here -- HDMI cables

Old 08-09-2009, 01:24 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercone View Post
We have had horrendous pixelation(tiling) issues in the past. We still experience the problem on occasion but the largest improvement came from buying a HDMI 1.3 compliant cable that connects between the HD TV and the Time Warner box. It dramatically reduced this problem. You can find these cables for well under $20 but call the manufacturer before you buy. A $100 cable will not do ant better than a lower cost model. You can read more about these cables here -- HDMI cables
I don't believe that 'better' HDMI cabling fixed your issue with TWC. TWC doesn't even run boxes with HDMI.3 compliance, so honestly, any cable you buy, whether it be an overpriced, worthless Monster brand or a cheaper, just-as-good Monoprice.com version, you're going to get the same pipeline for info.

Specific HDMI 1.3 cabling is only good for two devices that are compliant and compatible, like Blu-Ray players and newer 1080p televisions. It's in your best interest to actually ask a salesperson if the device is 1.3 ready, as it's the only current form of cable that can carry and display the coming 'Deep Color' or 'XvYCC' image. What that basically means is that newer images from Blu-Ray and video cameras will display billions of colors, rather than the current millions of colors. It'll help with overall depth of picture and general clarity.

So, with this issue, you don't need to worry that your HDMI cable is the culprit for the crap picture. It's TWC's fault and it's not likely going to get that much better until they widen the pipeline for all of this new HD information. Always remember that HDMI cable is a DIGITAL TO DIGITAL connection, so there's very little to screw up within that translation. Any salesperson who tells you to buy the $300 cable for the best 1080p picture is feeding you a load of junk... In the end, it's all a matter of 1's and 0's being transmitted over HDMI.

BN

Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM

104 posts, read 216,832 times
The MOST HD channels of anybody-DirectTV
NFL package-DirectTV
The best choice-DirectTV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio