Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM

64 posts, read 180,226 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I've been on the forums since we just had our daughter and things have been busy. However, I need some advice now.

Tonight's been an interesting (and expensive) one. We spent the day finishing up moving/cleaning at our old house. Then we get home late, exhausted, newborn daughter in tow, and let the dogs out in the backyard to go potty. We hear a commotion and find the dogs cornering a porcupine in the back corner of the yard. We manage to get the dogs in and realize that the 2 of them are covered in quills. We attempted to pull them out, but there were so many (even on the roofs of their mouths) and the dog's obviously wouldn't hold still. So we look up an emergency clinic (on Grissom) and rush them over. Oh, and we had to rouse our new neighbor out of bed to ask him if he could watch the baby (shameful of us ) So $1100+ later, we come home and call 311, animal control, which the vet advised us to do since the animal doesn't look like it can get out of the fence and may be hurt. They then tell us they don't do porcupines and so now I'm completely stressed out and have no idea what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Oh my, what an ordeal! Poor pups!

Animal Control (on their website) recommends contacting Wildlife Rescue for anything other than cats/dogs.

Here's the info:

Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Inc. Contact Info:
24-Hour Hotline: Address: Welcome to Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation! - Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Inc. (WRR) is a tax-exempt non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of orphaned, injured, and displaced wildlife. WRR also provides p
(210) 698-1709 335 Old Blanco Rd.
(830)336-2725 Kendalia , TX 78027

HTH

Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 AM

ok, i'm losing it. i do everything else online, but neglected to check their website. Thank you so much. We just called and left a voicemail with them. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

Update: Wildlife Rescue just called and said they don't come out to get animals. They suggested we get a crate or box, put some food in it, and get the porcupine to go inside. Then when he's in there bring it to them so they can see if he's hurt. I have no idea how we're supposed to do that without us getting hurt AND then we have to transport it?!

The vet also called and said one of the dogs needed minor surgery because several of the quills were completely embedded. Hopefully, they're both okay now though. We can pick them up around 8. The baby's been sleeping through most of this so I'm gonna take the opportunity to take a quick nap before she wakes me up in a couple of hours. Then I'll try to regroup and figure out what to do. DH wants to buy a shovel to throw the animal back over the fence.

Last edited by jnmac; 06-25-2008 at 01:46 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
Do you have a carrier/kennel? You might even ask if the wildlife rescue can loan you a trap?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Do you own a gun? This is Texas....do what ya gotta do!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 AM

We don't have a gun, but mentioned we should get a neighbor or co-worker with one to come help, especially if it was hurt.
I got the retrievers this morning and they're doing okay. And other good news, we went out in the yard after getting the pups, and the porcupine is nowhere in sight. Thank goodness. Although I don't think the dogs learned their lesson, when we let them out, they headed right back for that corner. I need smarter dogs, hehe.

Thanks again for the help.
You may now carry on with your regularly scheduled forum perusing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio