Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times

Advertisements

I'm from El Paso... I've lived here all my life and my parents are considering moving somewhere else in Texas. San Antonio and Austin were the top two places that they were looking in to. I hate natural disasters and just wanted to know what type of natural disasters happen in the area such as tornadoes (how frequent/strong,medium,low), Hurricanes (how frequent/strong/medium,low), Earthquakes (if any).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:12 AM

245 posts, read 235,950 times
Way more humid than EP. Will feel like a sauna compared to EP. Hurricanes are very rare although I have seen 60mph tropical storm pass right over SA. We're not in tornado alley so tornadoes are much less frequent than North Texas but do exist. Worst problem in my opinion is flooding from major rains and flash floods. Just about every year there is flooding somewhere in the area.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:32 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
The higher elevations in San Antonio such as stone oak suffer very little from the heavy rains. The key is to live up hill from everyone else. Austin is about as far northeast as I would venture in TX in my opinion. Dallas and elsewhere is a tornado alley waiting to happen.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,525 times
Im in San Antonino, in summer, if you've ever been to Philippines, it's kinda hot like that but a little cooler if not similar. Or kinda like the hot areas of Oahu, Hawaii like Ewa Beach or Waianae, but hotter. Winters are cold kinda in the 40s and no snow. Spring got awesome thunderstorms!

Old 07-02-2016, 05:27 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
Every once in awhile, we get a hail storm from Hell. About 15 years apart lately.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:43 PM

525 posts, read 659,949 times
Earthquakes =/ weather, but as far as I know, we don't get them. Others have addressed our weather. It's very El Nino or La Nina driven here. 4 years of drought on stage 4 water restriction followed by flooding that impacts major highways. Those hail storms were epic, and honestly don't remember any as bad as that ever, and I've lived here most of my 42 years. Very rare remnants of a hurricane will make it's way this direction, but we are simply too far from the coast for them to give us more than a good wind and rain storm. We have 3 seasons, Spring, Summer, and February. And humidity will top over 80% a good bit of all year.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:09 PM

245 posts, read 235,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesWayne View Post
Im in San Antonino, in summer, if you've ever been to Philippines, it's kinda hot like that but a little cooler if not similar. Or kinda like the hot areas of Oahu, Hawaii like Ewa Beach or Waianae, but hotter. Winters are cold kinda in the 40s and no snow. Spring got awesome thunderstorms!
40s. Lol. Actually the average daily high temp in San Antonio in the winter months range from 63-74. Look it up. It averages in the 40s for an overnight low though, so if you meant low temp then 40s is correct.

Did you know the average temp in winter is 5-7 degrees warmer in SA than EP. EP averages in the upper 50s for highs. SA averages 64 for Dec, 63 for Jan, 67 for Feb, and 74 for March, per the national weather service.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:38 AM

354 posts, read 711,874 times
Yes, the average winter temps in San Antonio are definitely not in the 40s-- but, speaking of which, as someone originally from Boston where winter temps can get below 10 degrees-- saying that it's COLD in the 40s is pretty laughable. I remember laughing at all these wimp crybabies when I moved to Los Angeles years ago and also lived in San Antonio who would be like 'Brrr...what are we to do?!?oh god it's 50 degrees!' lol. Oh. Please. Spare me.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:05 AM

18 posts, read 12,714 times
The thing I really like about San Antonio is it seems the tornados always go around the city to the south, so we never worry about them.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
Having lived in really cold and really hot - I laugh at the folks here who freak at the 40's and the news reports of the East Coast panic over 90's.

I do find the 100's unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio