Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:15 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Call code compliance for what violation? Enforcement Codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I think he's thinking a zoning violation--i.e. business run out of a residential property.
But there's no proof that he's running a business. He could just be building a deck, adding on to the garage or some such productive activity. Try talking to him first. Ask what he's working on and let him know that the noise is really bothering you. If it's legitimate home repair work, he may be able to move his activity to the back yard or garage to decrease the noise, or you may learn he'll be done within a specified amount of time.

If you learn he's actually running a business, then let him know that's not allowed and put him on notice. Yes, I know there are exceptions and some people just don't give a $%#! about being considerate toward others. However, most people do want to be considerate neighbors and if we all just talked to each other instead of hiding behind intermediaries, we might actually solve more problems and have better neighborhood relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:54 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
The OP mentioned he thought it might be a business due to the amount of sawing, the other complaint could be the amount of noise. Code compliance has a Rating for the amount of db that one can emit from their houses/property, and if that noise is enough to annoy, and inhibit the pursuit of another property owners enjoyment of their rights to peace and quiet, then Code Compliance will request an abatement to the amount of noise and the times to which the noise is generated. They may also notify the Rental Agency of the tenants activities if they are not appropriate for the area. It was just an idea to deal with a situation that in the past these neighbors have not had a peachy relationship, so, communication is already out of the picture from what I have gathered. Code Compliance will most likely also give the OP the name of the Rental Agent since they can request it from the tenant at the time of the visit.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,848 times
Yes, that's me. The old neighbor was 10 times worse than this one . BTW, I sold the old house - yaaaay!
Before I purchased my new house, I visited my new neighborhood several times during different times of the day and I researched the police presence, talked to folks etc..
When I purchased the house, there was a young couple living in the house (the one I'm complaining about). It was very quiet over there then. Now it appears that the lady moved out and a couple of other young guys moved in (or visit a lot). They all have huge F 250/350-type trucks and they often have equipment in tow. I'm not against big trucks (I have a midsize and would love a bigger one) but the 3 huge trucks take up a lot of street space. The work-type trucks also make me think they are in some type of business together.
Also, these young men were the only ones on my street shooting off fireworks on the 4th.

I guess I'm way to picky for my salary though. I can't afford to live in a really fancy neighborhood where all the neighbors are older and very quiet.

Yes, as someone stated, the basketball bouncing is extremely annoying to me as well. But I think that the high-pitched wine of the saw was worse.

Thanks everybody. I will take all of your ideas into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You have terrible luck with neighbors. Weren't you the one that sued your next door neighbor for something a while back? Trouble must follow you.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Shane.....some mentioned code compliance if they are running a business out of their home. That's fairly easy to check out at city hall without stirring trouble until you find out.

If it's a case of them building on to their home....like a deck or an addition, you can also check with the city to see if they were issued a building permit. If not, they have to stop until the proper permit is acquired. That will only give you a reprieve if they haven't obtained one.....but the consolation is that you'll know that the noise will stop once the project is complete.

The noise compliance is also valid....but is more enforceable if the noise were happening after evening hours.

Good luck....and get some of those squishy foam earplugs for the time being!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Hello, if this is a Rental property, do you think a TENANT is doing that much work on the house, just a thought. shelves, ok, but decks, blah, blah, sumpin is not rite.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,848 times
Yes, it is a rental property and I'm positive it's not a deck or garage addition. I have caught a glimpse and it's multiple small pieces of furniture, a shelf here, a storage chest there, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Hello, if this is a Rental property, do you think a TENANT is doing that much work on the house, just a thought. shelves, ok, but decks, blah, blah, sumpin is not rite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: