Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times

Advertisements

Many of the Wachovia cuts were lower tier positions that ended up being surplus jobs from the merger with A G Edwards. Ryenone....you're correct that the added jobs are up overall.

Chicken little always makes me squirm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Truth is, the good strong local banks like Broadway, Frost or Jefferson that didn't partake from the mortgage trough of greed or the big strong ones like Wells - would also fail if there was a run.
Pure bias and speculation. Many "local" banks have been the riskiest in different regions throughout the US. We only find out about their risk, after the collapse.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Broadway, Frost and Jefferson were among the banks to survive the Texas 80's banking crash. In fact Frost was the only one of the Big nine Texas banks to survive. They didn't go away then and they won't go away now.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
Pure bias and speculation. Many "local" banks have been the riskiest in different regions throughout the US. We only find out about their risk, after the collapse.
Explain "local" banks in different regions. Jefferson Bank in Dallas is rated in a risky position right now, where Jefferson in SA is rated as solid. What is your explanation for the difference if they are the "same".

Old 07-28-2008, 10:41 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
That link is not recommended at all. A "safe" bank on that list recently went under. Its been talked about in the blogosphere. There is no such thing as a "safe" bank. One can only diversify.

And yes, it will affect San Antonio. I just noticed driving 1604, legacy home, NuStar, Citibank, ... get the picture of who owns all those new buildings?
Link is not recommended by who? You? Or some jackhole or couple of jackholes that don't like it? Gimme a break.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:01 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
No. I have worked at Broadway and am intimately familiar with Frost and Jefferson. I know for a fact that they did not build their bank around risky mortgage practices. Broadway Bank and Frost Bank are two of the strongest banks in town. They both have taken a low risk high road over their history and they are benefiting now.

Comments like yours only add to the "fear" and are based your bias. I doubt you have worked at any of these. I am a credit officer on the commercial lending side of banking and have very unique experience with these banks. I know they are sound. To suggest otherwise or to accuse other people of bias and speculation is your own attempt (like the media) to promote doom and gloom across the board.

Yes - there are weak banks - but you can not apply the risky practices of some of the regional banks located in the formerly hot real estate markets to the very sound regional banks here in San Antonio.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 26,182 times
REMEMBER--No depositor loses a penny unless he is fool enough to deposit more than $100,000 in one account.
AND
No investor loses a penny unless he is fool enough to buy a Certificate of Deposit (CD) of more than $250,000.
CHECK IT OUT!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM

BOFA buying Merrill ...and Lehman at imminent Bankruptcy....and the beat goes on...should be a wild one on Wall Street tomorrow.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 09-14-2008 at 09:50 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Muenzler View Post
REMEMBER--No depositor loses a penny unless he is fool enough to deposit more than $100,000 in one account.
AND
No investor loses a penny unless he is fool enough to buy a Certificate of Deposit (CD) of more than $250,000.
CHECK IT OUT!
Two things...no time frame is given for one to receive their money. They (The FDIC) could take years to pay you. No, it hasn't happened and probably won't, but it could.

Also, I believe that the FDIC only has something like $53 Billion in reserves. I believe that the IndyMac failure alone depleted something like $8 Billion. Imagine if one or two of the "Big Boys" went down.
The FDIC would probably try to raise money from other banks, and increase their timeline to pay the depositors.
Then, these other banks would raise their fees for their own depositors in order to recoup the funds that the FDIC borrowed at what would probably be very favorable terms.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:02 PM

NEW YORK - A group of global banks and securities firms announced late Sunday a $70 billion loan program that financial companies can tap to help ease a credit shortage that threatens global financial markets.

The ten banks, which include JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Goldman Sachs Group Inc., said they were committing $7 billion each for the pool. The pool would act as a signal to the marketplace that banks, brokerages, and other financial companies can lean on the fund to take care of borrowing needs.

Banks roll out $70 billion loan program - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080915/ap_on_bi_ge/banks_plan - broken link)

Well, I have mixed feelings about this. At least we won't see gov't bailouts for these firms. I need to chew on it a little while longer though..

Any of our CD forum members employed by these firms in SA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio