Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,639 times

Advertisements

Hello future (I hope) neighbors!
My wife and I are looking into relocating to San Antonio from El Paso. Part of the draw for us is that we have a young family, we are both medical professionals in rehabilitation (and the pay hike would be anywhere between 15-20k each), and the cost of living is not enough to set off the median pay increase we would receive. Also, we have been to SA many times and really love it out there, and the drive/flight wouldn't be so long or expensive to come back home for a quick visit whenever the need arises.
I was hoping several of you would be able to help me with putting my wife's mind at ease.
One thing we would need is a sense of security. With the advancement in home security I feel confident in installation of webcams and sensors, but I would rather place my family in a place with a low crime rate. Just a safer neighborhood in general. Looking at a monthly rent between $1,000 to $1,500. It would be important that we weren't in the middle of the city, as my wife prefers suburban life. From my research, areas around Uptown central (north), Alamo Heights, and even Live Oak seem to fit the bill.
Second would be schools for the kids. I have middle and elementary school kids who are nervous about starting school in a new city. Safety is my utmost concern (if they aren't safe, they cant learn). From what research I've done, Alamo Heights school district is toward the top, along with Boerne school district. From the price points I listed as far as rent, I don't think Alamo Heights will be within budget. And also that may be too close to the city for my wife's taste. Any other suggestions? Or is Alamo Heights not as bad as I'm presuming as far as my stated budget/location preference?
Work. Traffic is gonna suck. I've resigned myself to that. We are both physical therapists and would love an outpatient PT clinical setting close to home. Any concentration of medical facilities? Usually outpatient PT clinics and spread pretty evenly in cities, with some clusters (In El Paso, we have quite a few by our University). Recommendations?
Any other input from residents would be really appreciated! I'm nervous and excited about the move, but am really looking forward to it.
Thanks again for your time!
And if one of you wouldn't mind being a point of contact who I can chat with through PM as questions arise, please let me know!
Amo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
First and foremost, find a job before moving here. The medical field, while there is always demand, can be a tough market. One of my friends is a nurse and it took her several months to secure a position. Unless of course you have savings and are willing to use that for your expenses. Now, once jobs are secured....

San Antonio is generally a safe city. There will always be property crime. With that budget you can get into most of SA, except the higher end areas as mentioned; such as Alamo Heights and probably anything habitable in Boerne (which is a good 15-20 minute drive from SA proper).

PT and rehab centers, from my experience, are pretty centralized around the big hospital areas of SA which include the medical center, the stone oak area and the San Antonio Medical Center area. The Medical Center is in 78229 and 78240. You'll be able to find housing within your budget here. The schools are within NISD and are fine. They aren't the best but they are nowhere near the worst. If you want to be close to work but not at work other zip codes include 78249 and 78230 and 78231 and maybe 78213 which would be within your budget. 78231 and 78230 may be pushing it, though. These zips (outside of several spots in 78213) will have good schools and be safe. The facilities in the Stone Oak area are also good and the schools are amazing. It may be out of your budget though. I don't know the zip code off the top of my head, though. San Antonio Medical Center (SAMC) is right near Alamo Heighs. You could go for Windcrest or Terrell Heights but Windcrest schools are so-so (Northeast ISD, much like NISD has pockets of so-so schools) and Terrell Heights i think may split between Alamo Heights and NEISD. I believe those zips are 78239 and 78218 as well as a bit of 78217, but be careful with the -'18 and '17 search as they can sneak up into some of the less desirable areas of the city.

Again, secure employment or have some savings before moving.

TRaffic sucks, but it could be way worse.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Stone Oak zip is 78258.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
Amo, how did it all work out for you? We are now in the same situation! We are looking for safe housing and a great school system for a middle school child.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:34 PM

9 posts, read 8,027 times
We live at Stone Oak and took kids out of one of local (at Stone Oak area schools, I do not want tell the name) and I take kids every day to the school at Windcreast, Harmony of Innovation. Yes, it takes for us drive about 40 minutes to one way, but it's really worth it. They work amazingly with kids compare to vaunted schools at Stone Oak.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AivaLight View Post
We live at Stone Oak and took kids out of one of local (at Stone Oak area schools, I do not want tell the name) and I take kids every day to the school at Windcreast, Harmony of Innovation. Yes, it takes for us drive about 40 minutes to one way, but it's really worth it. They work amazingly with kids compare to vaunted schools at Stone Oak.
Thank you! We are here for only a short time to look. So far, we are having a tough time in finding the "right" place and the school system is a high priority for us. We are looking at renting a condo or house vs. staying in the many apartments that you see advertised.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:21 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
The schools in Stone Oak are some of the best in San Antonio. They are in the Northeast ISD, and are the top in the district. While they may not be a great for for everyone, you will find that to be the exception, rather than the rule.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Amo, how did it all work out for you? We are now in the same situation! We are looking for safe housing and a great school system for a middle school child.
Hello Tarragon. Haven't made the move yet. Now due to circumstance it looks like I will be moving out before the family and having the spouse and children trail behind when I have a home and job secured. Now I'm looking at mid to late October with the fam moving in December.
Thank you everyone for the information I will definitely start looking into the zip codes mentioned and will check in after some research with some more questions, if you all don't mind answering!

Old 09-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo2017 View Post
Hello Tarragon. Haven't made the move yet. Now due to circumstance it looks like I will be moving out before the family and having the spouse and children trail behind when I have a home and job secured. Now I'm looking at mid to late October with the fam moving in December.
Thank you everyone for the information I will definitely start looking into the zip codes mentioned and will check in after some research with some more questions, if you all don't mind answering!

We are are nearly in the same boat as you except, my husband has a job already and he is going to rent a temporary place until we come out in December! He will be leaving at the end of this month. We've burnt ourselves out trying to find the 'right" place! We are trying to find a place to rent where it's safe, friendly, well kept, pool area, a view or nice backyard..hopefully I could have a small raised garden bed, an excellent school system where the kids are also welcoming to a 12 y.o. boy that 's shy! Good luck to you and your family on your hunt. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM

163 posts, read 311,547 times
We're in the process of moving to Stone Oak and schools were one of the factors that drew us there. Can't speak to safety yet but it probably varies by neighborhood and having one with gates or guards will probably help. As for the medical facilities question, it also offers two major hospitals that I know of and many clinics (including rehab facilities) and it's probably second only to the Med Center for medical-related work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio