Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM

63 posts, read 239,134 times

Advertisements

Why isn't there one unified school district here?? Why is set up to discriminate (at least that's the way I see it) between those that have and those that have not ($$$). I'm in the have category but I'm displeased to see children not getting an equal education due to how much $$ in taxes an area generates. Thoughts.. Opinions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 02:54 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenFamilyFaith View Post
Why isn't there one unified school district here?? Why is set up to discriminate (at least that's the way I see it) between those that have and those that have not ($$$). I'm in the have category but I'm displeased to see children not getting an equal education due to how much $$ in taxes an area generates. Thoughts.. Opinions....
In all of Texas there is just one unified school district. Every other school district is independent of one another.

And I do not see any discrimination. Just because a school is in a poorer area or has a large amount of poor students doesn't mean they are getting any less of an education.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:00 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
In all of Texas there is just one unified school district. Every other school district is independent of one another.

And I do not see any discrimination. Just because a school is in a poorer area or has a large amount of poor students doesn't mean they are getting any less of an education.
Well, for a similar concept: the idea behind the Brown vs. Board of Education is that putting separate races in separate schools is inherently unequal.

Anyway, I would like to see San Antonio with one school district serving the entire city limits, but I would wait for the city to "culturally unify" first.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:05 PM

898 posts, read 2,563,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Well, for a similar concept: the idea behind the Brown vs. Board of Education is that putting separate races in separate schools is inherently unequal.

Anyway, I would like to see San Antonio with one school district serving the entire city limits, but I would wait for the city to "culturally unify" first.
The city is a culturally unified as it ever will be. What does that mean anyways?? Rich white people move to the projects?? Poor Blacks move to the Dominion?? (I'm using stereotypes here on purpose) As far as school finance equality, if you remember "Robin Hood" you will remember what a disaster that was.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Why is Brown vs. Board even being brought up?

Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 PM

63 posts, read 239,134 times
Default Interesting....

Quote:

You are correct in saying they aren't getting any "less of an education". Because they are in fact getting "an" education. But from the standpoint of what types of tools, classes, sports equipment and books being provided (ex. computers, vocational classes, instruments) money makes a big issue.
Yes, if you have a book you can teach someone to read, but if you have a Library you can teach someone how to rule the world.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Why is Brown vs. Board even being brought up?
The starter of the thread is making a similar thesis: the poor in mostly poor schools are getting an inherently unequal education.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:20 PM

That was his opinion. No one is being discrimnated on because of economics.

I went to Highlands high school which is in the SAISD. I didn't feel like I wasn't getting a fair education.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:31 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Large unified school districts only breed corruption, heck even large independents can. Look at the waste that DISD, scandal after scandal, and waste of taxpayers money are rampant. Those that live in the nicer area's don't even send their kids to public schools in DISD, they all go to private. No thanks I will keep my school districts geographically oriented and of moderately sized. Even when I was in lower grade school I knew I was in NEISD and in the MacArthur cluster of schools.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 PM

Then how do you explain North Forest ISD? It has... two SMALL high schools, and the same amount of scandal. Guess what? It's still here.

As for Wilmer-Hutchins ISD, that district was so corrupt that the police made regular visits. Guess who took the land when the district ran out of money? Dallas ISD. Who formally took over the district? Dallas ISD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Large unified school districts only breed corruption, heck even large independents can. Look at the waste that DISD, scandal after scandal, and waste of taxpayers money are rampant. Those that live in the nicer area's don't even send their kids to public schools in DISD, they all go to private. No thanks I will keep my school districts geographically oriented and of moderately sized. Even when I was in lower grade school I knew I was in NEISD and in the MacArthur cluster of schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio