Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,459 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've read all of your listings so much I feel like I know most of you! I have a big problem with my Great Northwest area landlord so I thought I would ask for your input.

I moved to SA from Seguin about 14 months ago. I rented a house from an elderly "man" who owns a few dozen rentals in SA. All was fine the first year as there were only minor repairs needed which I took care of myself. My lease states that I have to pay the first $75.00 of a service call, so usually it is easier/cheaper for me to fix something than shell out the $75.00. I resigned my lease in August, and as if on cue everything has begun breaking. I live off of Tezel/Culebra/Grissom and I believe this house is from the late '70's.

One problem is that the landlord is only sending over his "handyman" to fix things, and the handyman is not licensed or even especially adept. My current problem though is with the water heater. It went out a week ago and I insisted the landlord call a licensed plumber this time. The plumber has made 4 trips over to fix it and has told the landlord it needs to be replaced. The landlord refuses and has sent him back repeatedly to fix it. When I call the landlord I just get his voicemail. We didn't have hot water for five days and then it was finally fixed Saturday evening. However on Sunday when my daughters and I returned home from Church there was a STRONG smell of gas when we walked into the house, where there was a gas leak from the water heater -which was being picked up by the AC/fan system in the same garage utility closet, and the gas was being sent into the house through the duct work. I called the landlord and I got his message "Our office hours are M - F from 8 - 5. You will NOT be able to leave a message here, so please call back during our regularr office hours. CLICK!" (This is so infuriating... what would he do if the house burned down or something? ) OK off the subject but you get the idea... he doesn't want to hear it. So - I called the plumber again who told me to turn off all of the gas and he would be BACK again today. I just spoke with the plumber and he said he thinks it's patched together for the time being - but the water heater AND the HVAC unit sharing that closet are NOT up to code AT ALL, not even close. He said that personally he wouldn't let anyone live there with that wiring.

Well, this is worrisome(!).

Does anyone know if a landlord in SA has a responsibility to rent out a house that IS up to code, or am I out of luck if I initially "accepted" the house that way? I of course didn't know I was moving my children into a firetrap with a landlord who is Ebenezer's older brother... Also of note is that my coworker (who is tired of listening to me whine about Landlord) just printed a list off of the County website of all of the JUDGEMENTS this landlord has won against his tenants when they move out, and he claims they destroyed his rental properties. Something to look forward to, I'm afraid.

So, any input? Thank you all so much,

Blondeee

Last edited by Blondeee; 11-03-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
the landlord sounds like a real POS... More of a slumlord. I'm pretty sure you have a case with whatever governmental agency handles this sort of thing. The gas leak creates an uninhabitable condition. I don't know how to report it to the city though.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times
You can look up statutes on the links section of aransasbar.org - that's our local bar association.

This is not my area of law but you should protect yourself by sending certified letters ( and keeping a copy) with your requests. I believe after that you could have gotten someone else to fix the water issue and sent the landlord the bill which you deduct from your rent.

Documentation is crucial -eventually you can go to your jp court and nail him.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
the landlord sounds like a real POS... More of a slumlord. I'm pretty sure you have a case with whatever governmental agency handles this sort of thing. The gas leak creates an uninhabitable condition. I don't know how to report it to the city though.
You can call CPS about the gas leak, but they might come shut it off (the gas) completely... I've 'heard'' about people who were able to sue for a hotel cost or whatever when something like this happened but I don't know how easy that would be.

Do a Google search for Texas tenant rights... there are sources out there for finding out what actions you can take in situations like this, including giving written notice of the problem (certified mail), having the repairs done yourself and then deducting from rent, etc... but be sure you do it to the letter if you decide to handle things that way.

Try this:

Texas Attorney General - Tenant Rights

Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,553,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
You can look up statutes on the links section of aransasbar.org - that's our local bar association.

This is not my area of law but you should protect yourself by sending certified letters ( and keeping a copy) with your requests. I believe after that you could have gotten someone else to fix the water issue and sent the landlord the bill which you deduct from your rent.

Documentation is crucial -eventually you can go to your jp court and nail him.
For San Antonio?????

Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 PM

152 posts, read 517,643 times
Sounds like a guy we used to rent from! We were told to call Code Compliance and have them come out and take pictures and get documentation. We were thisclose to doing that when we found the house we ended up buying.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 PM

34 posts, read 98,293 times
Eek! So sorry that sounds horrible. I know atty's are pricey but you should consult one. They usually offer free advice.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 32,443 times
Lots of great info here:

Home

Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,553,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofsand View Post
Lots of great info here:

Home
Now THAT looks like a helpful link!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 PM

247 posts, read 843,820 times
Not only would I contact code complience and every other agency I could think of to report this a-hole...I would also be on the phone with all the local news "troubleshooters" people. They love these kind of stories! This person needs everyone breathing down his neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: