Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,008,068 times

Advertisements

The CD player in my Jeep has gone kaput, so I am looking to replace it.

I would rather leave the installation to the professionals, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for places in San Antonio that sell and install car radios?

Also, if anyone has any ideas on what I should get, I am open to those as well. I am looking for something good but not overly expensive.

Of course it has to be a radio/CD player, and I would very much like an auxiliary jack to connect my MP3 player to.

It also needs to be able to take the rigors of being in a Jeep, I don't slam my rig around that much but I do wheel it.

All suggestions/recommendations are gratefully appreciated!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 AM

Wow, no one has had their car stereo replaced and can give a recommendation (good or bad) on a shop?!? Hmmmmm....

Cheers! M2

Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 AM

338 posts, read 1,231,299 times
I have heard of a place off Bandera road near mainland i believe. Their name is A-1 tint, their number is 389-8125. Give them a holler. Dont know how they do business though. Just a sug.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 PM

179 posts, read 469,085 times
It doesnt sound as if you are looking to "hook up" your audio system so I would think Best buy or maybe Circuit City ( going out of buisness sales) should do the trick just fine. A simple head unit install would is very easy. Remember unless there is some after market modifications to the wiring or place of install you will need a wiring harness and a mod kit. Both usually run about 20 dollars. As far as a recommendation of unit, that is very conditional. Think about options that are important to you, i.e. ipod controls, remote control, good tuner if you like local radio(look at fm sensitivity the lower the better), satillite if you like that. One feature I would pay close attention to is the security. Jeeps are infamous for being easy to break into (especially if the doors and top are off). For a good cd player with mp3 playback the price can go from $140-$200. But better deals can be found. Crutchfield is a great place to do some research find some products and features that you like and get some price ranges. Then call Best Buy or Circuit City purchase or get it installed. Custom sounds is another great local store for getting your car hooked up. They sometimes have some great deals too.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM

322 posts, read 749,462 times
I would suggest something from alpine like Alpine CDE-9874 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com and if your jeep has a lot of road noise i would get an amp to go with it. Alpine MRP-F250 4-channel car amplifier 40 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

Maybe call a circuit city and go to one of the Custom Sounds and see what they would charge for the install.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,963,702 times
Best Buy sometimes includes free install with purchase of a new stereo.

If its just putting in a new headunit, its a piece of cake. Put a headunit, amp and speakers in my last jeep.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM

OK, thread revival! I actually bought a new CD/radio/MP3 player for my Jeep a while back, and I need someone who knows what they're doing to install it on the cheap! OK, cheap is not as important as is installing it correctly; but since I bought the radio at Target (as well as the install kit), I wonder what shops or individuals would install it since I didn't buy it from them?

I need new tunes in the Jeep, listening to the radio (the CD player crapped out a long time ago) is OK but it gets old after a while. I have an MP3 connection in my Toyota and I love being able to listen to song lists I have created (such as Dean Martin or WWII music). It will be nice to have that options in the Jeep.

Oh, and before anyone asks, I have installed radios in my cars before, but I honestly don't have the time or patience right now to do it. Plus, one of the main reasons I did it in the past was because I was on a budget. Now I can afford to pay someone to do it for me...

Cheers! M2

Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,214,964 times
I know you said you don't want to mess with it but, it would probably be the easiest install you ever did. I had NEVER installed one before and after I rolled my Jeep and re-built it I installed a tuner, 10 disc cd changer (old school I know), amp and speakers.

It was fairly simple and very, very easy to conceal the wires.

I want a new cd/radio/mp3 player for mine too

Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM

TTG

So, if you know how to do it, what time can I bring it by?

Seriously, and in all honestly, I am just being lazy. I know it isn't tough, and I know I could do it myself. Heck, I even have the wiring harness to make it even easier; but I just haven't found myself in the mood to tackle it.

Since school finished in November, I've been catching up on many other things that I have put off over the past two-and-a-half years. But now I am just not finding myself motivated to do it.

I love working on the Jeep, and know it wouldn't take me more than 2-3 hours to do it; but I'd rather pay someone who can do it in about 45 minutes and be done with it!

I have to admit, the last car radio I had replaced I also got someone else to do it. This was in Belgium and if I could find someone there willing to do it, there should be some enterprising young car audio expert out there who would love to take my money for something so simple...

Cheers! M2

Old 02-03-2010, 04:08 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,844,428 times
Back in 2006 shortly after we purchased our Son's Accord Coupe he "needed" a new stereo and something to consume all the room in the trunk. Well that was on his dime since all of ours were left at Gunn Honda.

I don't remember where he bought everything but it was installed at Brother's Sound (Not Mother's) at 6898 Bandera Road (Outside of 410), 509-3933 . (He may have bought everything from them) They did great work and he has never had any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio