Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 10,107 times

Advertisements

My daughter is planning to join Jay science and engineering academy. I am really concerned since it is located in the Jay high school campus.

I am really looking feed back from parent who have kids going to sciench academy in Jay.

The other option I am looking into is Health careers. Is health careers highschool good for kids who really not keen on making a career in health career. I think my daughter is more inclained for science and engineer.

Please give your honest feedback

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 AM

213 posts, read 567,953 times
From what I have been told, even by the kids that go to John Jay, as long as you are in the engineering program, things are pretty great, but it is the regular high school that is not so great...

Old 02-02-2009, 06:32 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
srinichakra ~ has your daughter already been accepted to Jay SEA?

My 8th grade daughter is going to be applying for SEA, as well as Business Careers and possibly Comm Arts. She is most interested in SEA, but the other two Magnet HS's could work well for her future plans as well. So, she's gonna apply for all 3 and hope to get the luck of the draw for at least one.

SEA does have several campus visits available for prospective students and parents planned. Some are in the evenings and there's even some during the school day. That's one of the things we're planning on doing, just to see if we'd feel comfortable with her attending there.

It's so cool to see girls interested in science!! My sister-in-law is a Research Scientist and has worked on some amazing projects (from working with Oil Refineries to working with the National Human Genome Research Institute and then the CDC on Pandemic & Avian flu research and more!). She's been a great inspiration for my daughter!

Good luck to your daughter in whatever she decides. There are tons of resources available from the school district to aid in your research.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
i have heard really good things about the SEA program at jay --- they do have some classes with jay students but from what i have heard the SEA students are pretty darn focused and do just fine in the regular classes...

my cousin's daughter is currently a sophomore at health careers, she is planning on being a vet --- but from what i hear from her there are lots of kids there that have no intention of going on to a medical career --- they attend for it's amazing reputation as a school ---

my cousin also says however that there are many student who drop out of health careers to attend a "regular" school ... usually after the holiday break and usually in freshmam or sophomore year --- my cousin says the reasons vary from having too much work at health careers and not enough "fun" or because these kids are used to making "A's" in middle school and are now making "B's or C's" ---

i will say that my cousins daughter is always doing homework and per my cousin she rarely gets to be prior to 1130pm at night --- she even brings school work to my house when we have get togethers on the weekends or to starbucks when we meet there on saturdays after church --- my cousin's daughter is very driven and determined but she has had her doubts about all the work, but she is sticking to it and not leaving ---

Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM

74 posts, read 239,794 times
I am a product of the John Jay Science Academy (c/o 2002). It really sucks to constantly have to dispel rumors about the school. John Jay is not a bad school by any means. Yes, there is typical "high school" drama occasionally, but nothing that you wouldn't see in any other school. The curriculum is very intense. Lots of Advance Placement/Honors classes. Good luck to the future student.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,107 times
Thanks to all of you for the feedback.

I think we are going ahead and apply to SEA. It seems to be the best fit for what my daughter is looking far.

We may also apply for health careers..but will it ruin her chances if we apply for more than one magnet highschool? They say the selection is by lottery but in the application they do ask you to tell them all the other magnet school we are applying.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
No, apply to all you want. I have known many people that got accepted to 3 schools.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,895 times
I have two sons at SEA. It is a great school. One will graduate this year the other is a freshman. One had been at another school in NISD and said he does not see fights on the Jay campus like he did at the other. The students support and encourage each other in every way possible! I always feel welcomed on the campus and have all e-mails replied to promptly, usually within a few hours! I did not get this response from their jr high campus. Obviously i had a great experience with the first son or my second son would not be there.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 AM

707 posts, read 1,845,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinichakra View Post

The other option I am looking into is Health careers. Is health careers highschool good for kids who really not keen on making a career in health career. I think my daughter is more inclained for science and engineer.

Please give your honest feedback

Thanks in advance
My kids' K teacher went to heath sciences high school. I'm not sure if he intended to go into that field, but he's been a teacher for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio