Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:21 AM

173 posts, read 617,291 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Potranco and 1604 area and we've been looking around that area at houses. Westcreek seems to offer the most "bang for the buck" in that the homes are more settled with nice landscaping and trees, etc... already in place. Also, the neighborhood seems to have a nice community feel and we like having an elementary school right in the middle of the neighborhood. I have also heard that the HOA is really strong. However, there are some things we are concerned about and I'd appreciate insight from you guys.

I am mainly concerned with the RAPID growth in this area and how it will affect the vibe of the area. I'd hate to buy and then watch the area become overcrowded and run down. I have heard some grumblings from people who have lived in Westcreek for a long time that the recent additions of Rustic Oaks, Caracol Creeek, and Caracol Heights have really started to pull the area down since those homes are cheaper and have "less desireable" types living there. They also say that in general, the rapid expansion of Westcreek has caused a strain on the HOA and they are having more trouble keeping people in compliance. THAT bothers me because I have seen what happens in neighborhoods where HOA's crumble....think Oak Creek, Northwest crossing, etc...

Also, with the building of so many other new neighborhoods nearby I wonder if in say 5 yrs or so Westcreek will lose it's luster compared to the new developments.

Any thoughts?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 07:19 AM

797 posts, read 2,991,704 times
Your concerns are valid and probably realistic to some degree. As new residents of Westcreek we have also begin to wonder about our investment. When we got here everything was selling like crazy and it forced us to move quickly, but since then we have watched 3 houses near us sit on the market for over 6 months before selling. The HOA does seem strong but I wonder about the compliance issue as it seems to becoming a bigger issue in each newsletter. We are happy to see so much growth in the way of business development but knowing that Alamo Ranch is coming with bigger better homes very soon it makes us wonder if our investment will be able to compete down the road. We also noticed that of all the residents in Westcreek that we have met most of them are military families and that means the turn over is big, if they can't sell they rent and that feeds into the compliance issues.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think our biggest concern is the HOA. If they can't keep things solid I think Westcreek will be in big trouble! Are you involved w/ the HOA at all?

Old 03-15-2007, 07:38 AM

77 posts, read 93,402 times
We also live in Westcreek... we bought in Highpoint and enjoy it. In general, people in Highpoint seem to take care of their property. I have noticed that many residents are really putting in nice landscaping this spring to spruce things up. True, some things bug me... people who allow their pets to run loose, pre-teens who can be loud. But, I actually think that it's pretty much just par for the course when you live in a neighborhood-- no matter what the pricepoint is.
As far as the HOA "crumbling", I think it's up to us as residents to make sure that does not happen. It takes getting involved and letting your voice be heard. I have never understood why how much money you make has to go hand-in-hand with how nice you keep your yard, home, or respect your neighbors. I have taught my kids that even if you can only afford to live in a cardboard box, then you better have the pride in it to make sure it's the cleanest cardboard box out there.
As far as military families... we are one of them, but we plan on retiring here. I do want to add that in 13 moves we have been renters ourselves. We always kept the home cared for as if it was our own and always stayed in "compliance" with the neighborhood rules. It's not always renters that will trash the area. As homeowners, this is the biggest investment of our lifetime and I want to make sure it holds its value down the road.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Perhaps a clear definition of compliance is needed here, I believe most everyone in Westcreek takes care of their property and generally "complies" to the rules set in the HOA bi-laws. However my understanding is that the compliancy issues have to do due with residents keeping up with there dues. We assumed it was required when we purchased our home but it seems if a resident does not desire to use the sportspark or community center then paying dues becomes optional to them?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 AM

77 posts, read 93,402 times
Thank you for clarifying what you meant. In that case, I am very upset. I did not know it was even an option to pay dues. We couldn't close until we pre-paid 3 quarter's worth of dues!! I will definitely be checking into that. The way I see it, is should be mandatory to pay them, otherwise, I view it as an unpaid bill and it should go on their credit reports as late/delinquent.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:21 AM

I can't say that it is "optional" it's just the impression I get from reading our newsletter. We had to pay for a whole year of dues when we purchased our home and now we're due to go back in and renew but I have not received a reminder notice or request from the HOA. I am sure you could get clarification from the HOA on how they stay on top of non-compliant residents.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 AM

Actually it IS mandatory. We are currently renting in Westcreek and our landlord is REALLY behind on his HOA dues. They are in the process of having their attornies send him a letter. My understanding is that if you don't pay you will eventually have a lien put on your home and you can be foreclosed on. Seems that not having any access to the community ammenities would be the least of your worries if you are delinquent.

I wonder if Westcreek HOA has seen an upswing in delinquent dues? Also, at what point does it get so out of control with past dues, noncompliance in keeping up yards, etc... that the HOA just gives up and disbands??

Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,553,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnative View Post
Actually it IS mandatory. We are currently renting in Westcreek and our landlord is REALLY behind on his HOA dues. They are in the process of having their attornies send him a letter. My understanding is that if you don't pay you will eventually have a lien put on your home and you can be foreclosed on. Seems that not having any access to the community ammenities would be the least of your worries if you are delinquent.

I wonder if Westcreek HOA has seen an upswing in delinquent dues? Also, at what point does it get so out of control with past dues, noncompliance in keeping up yards, etc... that the HOA just gives up and disbands??
Ack! Truthfully I think it would take quite alot before an HOA would disband. Does WC have a managment company or do members manage the HOA themselves? I used to work for an HOA property management company in CA, and a mgmt. co. can be a real asset to an HOA.

And I live in Oak Creek (the older part on the north of Military), so my belief is that keeping a strong HOA is a huge benefit! The difference with the two HOA's tho, is that Oak Creek does not have mandatory membership. Folks can choose to contribute or not. They are obligated to follow the rules, but there's not much in the way of reserves to upkeep the neighborhood and to get folks to comply. And for the most part, the residents are apathetic about the HOA. (Obviously, since the "park" sits unused and falling apart and the pool had to be filled in!) We stay 'cause for the most part we love our neighbors and the huge lots.

Westcreek really does seem to have a good reputation in the area, has great ammenities, and some very friendly folks. If you buy there, get on the HOA board and make sure it stays that way!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:31 AM

I don't think the HOA is run by a management company and there is a board of directors. It seems all the "players" are committed but you can read more about how it all functions on the website....

www.villagesofwestcreek.com

This is our first experience living in a neighborhood with a mandatory HOA and so far we have not had anything negative to say about it. The dues seem reasonable compared to other HOA's, its just a little weird adjusting to some of the bi-laws, (getting permission to do just about anything to the exterior of your house, front or back.) It's understandable that the bi-laws are there to keep the neighborhood nice its just that we are use to putting a lot of energy into the outside of our house and having to run everything by a committee is enough to put many projects on hold. For now we are focused on the interior just because we don't need permission first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio