Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,726,504 times

Advertisements

Dammit guys, quit making me hungry! I swear I am going to ban myself from this forum.

Sapphy, you leavin' us again?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,825,280 times
I don't consider myself an expert, but I'm from Chicago and have probably eaten my weight at places like Portillos, Gold Coast Dogs and Hueys. The only spot in San Antonio that serves em' Chicago-style (as well as importing the beef, bun and relish from Chicago) is Jerry's on Commerce.

Freddys? They put ketchup on their dogs. Denied.

Costco? You're kidding right? The bun is potato bread. Albeit good, it's not Chicago-style in any way, shape or form.

Go see Jerry and his wife on Commerce. They're native Chicagoans with not only the best dog in SA, but the only place to find true Chicago-style dipped beef too. He's even got the signed endorsement letter from the President of Vienna Beef hanging on his wall to prove his worth: Jerry's is the real deal.

BN

Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,442,235 times
I saw a write up in the paper a few weeks ago about a place on austin highway that had the best chicago hot dogs in town. Do not remember the name, but it were Deleware subs used to be.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,782,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
I don't consider myself an expert, but I'm from Chicago and have probably eaten my weight at places like Portillos, Gold Coast Dogs and Hueys. The only spot in San Antonio that serves em' Chicago-style (as well as importing the beef, bun and relish from Chicago) is Jerry's on Commerce.

Freddys? They put ketchup on their dogs. Denied.

Costco? You're kidding right? The bun is potato bread. Albeit good, it's not Chicago-style in any way, shape or form.

Go see Jerry and his wife on Commerce. They're native Chicagoans with not only the best dog in SA, but the only place to find true Chicago-style dipped beef too. He's even got the signed endorsement letter from the President of Vienna Beef hanging on his wall to prove his worth: Jerry's is the real deal.

BN
Have you tried Nick's? I only ask because from the site it looks like Jerry's but bigger.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,697,742 times
Jerry's is by far the best place to go for Chicago style Hot Dogs (& Italian Beef). He has won numberous awards in the local papers for best hot dogs, critics choices, etc, etc year after year. He was won the blue plate award and always gets perfect scores on his health inspecations. There is always a line out the door...the place is always busy, be prepared to wait, but it is worth it.
A photo of Jerry's is on the Vienna web site:
Vienna Beef - Hot Dog Culture - Hot Dog Stand Gallery

Nicks would be my 2nd place

Chicago Bagel (Wurzbach & Vance Jackson) serves an authentic chicago dog.

Freddy's are OK

I heard Tycoon Flats now has Chicago style Hot dogs and I have not tried theirs yet.

It never ceases to amaze me...how many people who have no idea about the topic of discussion , for example Chicago Style Hot dogs..and yet they feel compelled to put in their 2 useless cents. If you dont know what something is...sit back read and learn.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,685,096 times
There was one Chicago-style drive through which opened up by us, Janicke's. It didn't last too long. the owner wasn't too friendly.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,825,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Have you tried Nick's? I only ask because from the site it looks like Jerry's but bigger.
I have tried Nick's. It was alright, but something was off. Maybe they used the wrong kind of peppers. Didn't taste like sport peppers.

Added, I got all of this bravado from the guy behind the counter about being a 'native Chicagoan' and then found out he wasn't born there and lived there less than 10 years. When you get a blank stare back from a 'Chicagoan' talking about Gold Coast Dogs, you know you're dealing with an imposter.

*wink*

Seriously: I liked Nick's, but I love Jerry's.

BN

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM

129 posts, read 400,317 times
Jerry's is very good. They even have pizza puffs!

Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 PM

46 posts, read 114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I saw a write up in the paper a few weeks ago about a place on austin highway that had the best chicago hot dogs in town. Do not remember the name, but it were Deleware subs used to be.
I think you are refering to R&B's Taste of Chicago - according to the article/review: "Let me first address the Chicago-style hot dog: It's made with genuine Vienna Beef products, from the meat right down to the neon green relish and sport peppers. It's a treat for the eye and the mouth alike."

Review: R&B's Taste of Chicago (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/Review_RBs_Taste_of_Chicago.html - broken link)

Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 PM

132 posts, read 287,070 times
I didnt care for Freddys at all...especially for the price of a hotdog..I dont remember what it was off the top of my head but I do remember it being a rip lol They're not bad if you make them yourself..I just wasnt able to find sport peppers anywhere...although that was prior to the gigantic HEB plus being built on 281 right where I live lol...but man..talk about a thread to make you hungry lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio