Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 AM

16 posts, read 44,746 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband and I (we are in our mid 20's) are moving to San Antonio at the end of the summer and I'm concerned that I might be at a disadvantage because I don't speak fluent Spanish. Do most local Texans speak fluent Spanish there? I've heard of the city (endearingly) referred to as 'Little Mexico' by native residents. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and minored in it in college but have lost it over the years due to non-use. I've visited San Antonio a handful of times and am extremely excited about moving down! But I'm worried that not speaking Spanish may isolate me from co-workers and the community. We are planning on re-locating to the Northwest or Northeast areas, as that is where my job is located. Thanks for any insight or tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
No. SA is reffered to Little Mexico mostly because of the cultural heritage of the city and a lot of it has been retained. However, in terms of not knowing Spanish, you'll be absolutely fine. Though you might get a few replies saying "why not learn it, it'll expand your horizons." But bottom line you will be fine in SA. SA is no different than Dallas or Houston when it comes to speaking Spanish.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcitizen View Post
Hello everyone. My husband and I (we are in our mid 20's) are moving to San Antonio at the end of the summer and I'm concerned that I might be at a disadvantage because I don't speak fluent Spanish. Do most local Texans speak fluent Spanish there? I've heard of the city (endearingly) referred to as 'Little Mexico' by native residents. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and minored in it in college but have lost it over the years due to non-use. I've visited San Antonio a handful of times and am extremely excited about moving down! But I'm worried that not speaking Spanish may isolate me from co-workers and the community. We are planning on re-locating to the Northwest or Northeast areas, as that is where my job is located. Thanks for any insight or tips!
I moved from the northwest and speak no spanish. Never needed to either... last time I needed to was at a Jack in the Box in Lynnwood, WA. Same at the one in Auburn actually...

ok. You do need to know spanish if you want to order anything at a Jack in the Box in King or Snohomish county, Washington. But in San Antonio you should be fine.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
The only time you might feel disadvantage is in the work place if your spanish speaking teammates start to speak spanish around you. That can happen a lot.

remember this is a tourist town as well so being bilingual is a great help and you can make a wee bit more pay in most jobs. As for day to day life it is the same as living anywhere else in the states. In other words we speak English here.

If you are concern once you get here there are plenty of schools that offer spanish. Northside School district offers spanish classes for Adults. I started taking odd classes from them since I was about 27 or so.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 AM

469 posts, read 1,155,762 times
Nope I'm from SA and don't speak Spanish at all. If I've survived this long without it you will have no real problems.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
You'll be fine. Don't sweat it. The only time you may need it, may feel uncomfortable not knowing it is if you happen to be in the parts of town where the population is well over 75% Spanish speakers. And based on where you say you're planning on living that won't happen.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:31 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,762 times
I'm on the Southside and while there are a lot of hispanics it's mostly the older generations that actually speaks spanish. I rarely hear it spoken over hear unless it's older folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You'll be fine. Don't sweat it. The only time you may need it, may feel uncomfortable not knowing it is if you happen to be in the parts of town where the population is well over 75% Spanish speakers. And based on where you say you're planning on living that won't happen.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcitizen View Post
Not a problem...I don't speak spanish and have no issues living here...you will be fine.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
I think one of your first trips should be to the Alamo and see how significant was the contribution Tennessee played in this battle. The blood lines between Tennessee and early Texas are thick.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Ya ought to worry less about learnin' Spanish, and start worrying more about learnin' Texan!

Cheers, y'all! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio