Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 PM

322 posts, read 774,910 times

Advertisements

I think I'm going to chime in and agree with the other comments...

It's probably just you worrying about nothing. If I was a shrink I would ask you about your mother, and your mother's mother, and your mother's mother's mother.. then ask you why are you being overly self conscious? It seems like this isn't about other people as much as it's about you. Are you worried about your looks? Do you see something in your kids or your spouse and you wonder if other people notice? If you're really dwelling on this maybe you should investigate why it's bothering you so much. No harm in talking to someone about it!

No offense meant at all here, please don't take it that way. Now let's get back to talking about your relationship with your mother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
omg...if only you knew --- it sickens me when it happens ---

i have heard people in spanish say things ---

i have had 2 ladies at 2 different times in line at wal-mart ask me if they are all my kids --- actually 1 asked if they were all my kids, because they looked so different --- and the other asked if they were all from the same daddy...

1 lady asked my oldest daughter if she and my middle daughter were "blood" sisters --- why ask my daughter that??? seriously...

then i get the stupid "oh, the milkman must have been blond, the plumber had red hair and the cable guy was mexican"...

i am so tired of it i have learned to block it all out...

honestly, if you look really closely, my kids have facial features that resemble eachother, but at first look, they don't look alike...but it never ceases to amaze me how rude people can be...
A very wise lady on this forum (Ms. Paka!) has the best answer for that. She says to ask them, "Why do you ask?" Puts them on the spot and makes them fumble around for an answer, instead of you having to be uncomfortable. Seriously, people ARE rude and why they think other people's children's parentage is any of their concern is just unbelievable. Again, I am sorry you or anyone has to go through that.

And you shouldn't have to say that anyone needs to look closely at your kids to see they resemble one another. They are not freaks in a circus. You have no reason to be defensive at all--they are your kids!! Even adoptive parents shouldn't have to answer to anyone. Oh, I would come unglued on someone who looked at my kid cross-eyed as if they were questioning ANYTHING about him.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
and as far as church goes...it's shorts and flip-flops for us...but we do go a super casual church (BRCC) where sometimes the pastors preach in flip flops --- we also go to saturday night service, so it's more laid back...
OK JEEZE! I'm sorry I said the comments about church and clothing! Apparently that was completely the wrong example to use in SA!

haha, but I'm not going to let it die that easily... why don't you guys get dressed up for church??? It's your opportunity to look and feel nice!

Plus, everyone knows God + 3 piece, $2500, suit + a hefty tithing = SALVATION!!!

*runs for cover*

Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
A very wise lady on this forum (Ms. Paka!) has the best answer for that. She says to ask them, "Why do you ask?" Puts them on the spot and makes them fumble around for an answer, instead of you having to be uncomfortable. Seriously, people ARE rude and why they think other people's children's parentage is any of their concern is just unbelievable. Again, I am sorry you or anyone has to go through that.
haha, that's probably the better way to go. I'd be more inclined, given my dry and dirty sarcasm, to tell them that the first child was conceived when I was in the state pen in Alabama - it got me more time in the rec yard from the warden. The second I found walking along I-5 in California and she just looked so cute I couldn't leave her there.. and the third one... well wait, I have a third one? Holy crap! I didn't claim her on my Federal taxes! Is it too late to amend them???

-- make them wish they never asked the dumb-arse question in the first place

Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I'm not paranoid, ---****Yes you are***---- no I'm not, there's no one watching me ---**** Are you sure ***--- Quit that! **--- I'm gonna tell **-- Aww, Who ya gonna Tell Well, just you don't never mind, you leave me alone, there's nobody watching me! ***Really???
Mommmy!!!!!!!!!!!
hilarious. I've read this a dozen times and I'm still laughing out loud.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
OK JEEZE! I'm sorry I said the comments about church and clothing! Apparently that was completely the wrong example to use in SA!

haha, but I'm not going to let it die that easily... why don't you guys get dressed up for church??? It's your opportunity to look and feel nice!

Plus, everyone knows God + 3 piece, $2500, suit + a hefty tithing = SALVATION!!!

*runs for cover*
you know, i don't really know --- we feel great about ourselves regardless of what we wear, dressing up has never been a big thing with us...actually, dressing up for my dh means a nice pair of wranglers and his button down shirt tucked in ...

also, since dh is a police officer who works a minimum of 64hours a week in a uniform, the last thing he wants to do is dress up on his down time...

and with me coming from a catholic school for all 12 years, and going to church 2x a week in a uniform, well, i guess dressing up for church is something that i gave up a long time ago...

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCounty View Post
This is a question for the transplants. I'm just curious if anybody else feels the same. I moved here ten years ago but I have NOT gotten used to the looks that I get at EVERY place I go to. Every restaurant, store, etc. It's like a broken record when I walk in with my family. We're not scruffy, trashy, ghetto. We're a normal nicely dressed family with well behaved children (3), so I don't get it. People stare at us like we're the dinner. They literally stop eating and blankly stare at us. It's rather creepy. I'm not being paranoid either, it's 90% of the people just can't help but look at you. I feel like I have "OUT OF STATE" written on my forehead. All my friends and family that come to visit from different states thought we were crazy until they visit and experience it themselves. Anyhow, I hope this doesn't offend anyone, maybe it's the local thing to do? Or maybe they can just sniff out the Non Natives easier than I thought.
I think it's just paranoia on your part.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Or cargo shorts and safari hat, right?
You know I've always got my hat with me!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I've got everything
(1) I could say that I don't get looks after surviving 15 years in the Ozarks as a dark-skinned hispanic (it's not a costume)

(2)For my interviews, I have a custom made dark green suit (in few words... fits perfect) that is identical to this one
but when light hits it at the right angle it looks green like this
we had lunch at the riverwalk and I swear that everybody looked at me as if I was Hollywood star.

(3) Since I grew up in one of the vainest countries in the World I like to dress at least descent (usually tuck my shirt in and wear a belt)
Again, people look at me as if I was crazy

(4) Since my wife and I have different tan colors, my kids are muuuuch whiter than me... people look at me funny when I'm alone with my kids

(5) I'm very proud of my colleague degree and I use a college ring similar to this one (http://www.rmcclub.ca/GiftShop/Rings/Legend.jpg - broken link). The problem is that when I dress down, I guess people think I look weird wearing a ring that is worth almost as much as my car.
I've seen a few people staring at my ring... pretty much trying to read what it says on it.

As a conclusion,
nothing worse than the looks I got in the Ozarks the last 15 years.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Maybe the OP is just "butt ugly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio