Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:55 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the news the other evening. I am SO GLAD to have recourse. Littering drives me insane - it's ridiculous, especially the idiots who pitch their ciggie butts out the car.

I reported a guy for littering in the med center area yesterday morning!

Here's the link if you need to report someone. It's completely annonymous and apparently the litterer gets a nasty-gram in the mail. That'll show 'em!

Don't Mess with Texas - Report a Litterer

(I know there are tons of littering threads here but I thought this one, with the reporting website, deserved its own thread.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:05 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Thanks for the link . I also hate a litterbug. Only problem is that officials can't really do anything when you report litterbugs. I think they send them a litterbag or something and let them know that they were reported for littering. Maybe it will stick in their mind the next time they go to litter though. Some people just don't care .

I mean, come on people, how hard is it to carry a little trash bag in your car/truck?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM

I think that's the point - they get a letter calling them out for being an asshat litterer (probably not in those terms) and they get a litter bag. Hopefully for most people that's enough to make them aware of what they're doing.

I do have to laugh at the smokers who say, "Well, I throw my cig butts out the window and drop ash out the window because I don't want to smell up my car." Uh...ok.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Diapers in the parking lot!! Yuck!

I know it would embarrass me to get a letter in the mail saying someone saw me dump something!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Diapers in the parking lot!! Yuck!

I know it would embarrass me to get a letter in the mail saying someone saw me dump something!
Especially diapers in the parking lot. I mean, seriously. Who DOES that???

Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
I've used this a few years ago in the Brownsville area. I sent quite a bit out. Problem is, most of the people I sent them to....probably did not/can't read English I'm not sure if they print it in Spanish. They should.

The letters are cool...but I still think there's need to be something a little more visible...like painting the litterer with a "scarlet letter" effect on their car that says I'M A LITTERER. Making them wear that bumper sticker for a week or so....can you imagine how this would strike fear in litterers? Back in colonial days we'd tar and feather people and leave them tied up in the public town square for doing little things like this.

Ah, we'd never do this...it makes too much sense. I'm sure the ACLU would sue Texas.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 AM

I think the letters are bilingual.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 AM

137 posts, read 284,072 times
Wait until someone decides to randomly input peoples' plate information because its a pretty straightforward form, and they ruin it. I wonder how much money this program costs? The bag they send people will most likely be thrown away anyway, especially if they see what they did as insignificant. What happens to repeat offenders? Do they get a ticket in the mail? Although littering is an important issue, its a waste of money in my opinion. I honestly do not encounter people throwing cups, diapers etc out of their car. Mostly cigg butts and ashes but that is seen as the norm in todays times. But thats just my opinion.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 AM

Throwing cig butts and ashes out a car window is littering. And SOMEONE is throwing trash out the window, because it's everywhere on our streets.

It's a worthwhile effort, in my opinion.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM

299 posts, read 608,108 times
Wow..sure seems like a big drain on tax dollars so you can play litter patrol.

If it concerns you that much, go volunteer to clean up a stretch of highway, else, join SAPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio