Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM

427 posts, read 1,174,068 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this has been posted before. If it has, I apologize.

My in laws took my 10 year old son to the Toyota plant for a guided tour and they loved it. First you go to the visitors center and see a 10 minute film. Then you hop in a Disney like tram system and tour the plant.

They said the people couldn't have been nicer and that it's pretty fascinating, and it's free!

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Visitor and Education Center :: VisitSanAntonio.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Another free fascinating thing to do in San Antonio. I think it's just one more charm of this city.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Note that this is by reservation only! Also, there are some restrictions (such as no cameras or phones that take pictures, or bags of any kind. You also need a photo ID), Here's the full story (web link at the end)...

Quote:
Complete your Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc (TMMTX) experience by taking the plant tour. You will hear and see just what goes into the manufacturing of the Toyota Tundra as it rolls off the line each day.

Our friendly staff of tour guides will lead you through portions of our 2.2 million square foot facility. The tour begins in the Body Weld shop, where stamped steel pieces are welded together using state of the art technology. Watch as a team of computer-controlled robots perform the welds that result in a completed body shell. We leave Weld and go over to the Plastics shop where critical components, including the vehicle bumpers and instrument panels are made. Look up and see overhead conveyors transport the trucks from Paint, to the Final Line in Assembly. Through the tour, your guide will point out the foundations of the world renowned Toyota Production System as well as give insight into the line side processes of the TMMTX team members.

The Plant Tour experience takes an hour and a half. Interested in touring TMMTX in person?

Admission to the Visitor Center and plant tour is free. Cell phones that take photos, cameras and handbags, book bags, briefcases, purses, bags and backpacks are not allowed on the tour. Children traveling with families must be 6 years old to take the tour. Visitors must also present a valid photo ID. School groups of children 3rd grade and above, tour groups and other large groups are welcome. However, all groups must have advance reservations to tour the plant.

Plant Tour Reservations
Complimentary tours are conducted Monday through Friday at 9:00, 12:00 and 1:30. The tours last approximately 1.5 hours from entry to exit. Our tours are very popular and a reservation is required. You may make or change your reservation from this website or call our Visitor Center at 210-263-4002.

But it's a cool idea and something we're gonna have to do one of these days!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM

325 posts, read 780,969 times
That's on my bucket list now, thanks for the info!!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Note that this is by reservation only! Also, there are some restrictions (such as no cameras or phones that take pictures, or bags of any kind. You also need a photo ID), Here's the full story (web link at the end)...

Complimentary tours are conducted Monday through Friday at 9:00, 12:00 and 1:30. The tours last approximately 1.5 hours from entry to exit. Our tours are very popular and a reservation is required. You may make or change your reservation from this website or call our Visitor Center at 210-263-4002.

But it's a cool idea and something we're gonna have to do one of these days!

Cheers! M2
GEEEZ MMM! Thanks for the buzzkill.....with all ure pin che info!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Not far from me!! When do they start turning out the tamales??

Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
GEEEZ MMM! Thanks for the buzzkill.....with all ure pin che info!
A bigger buzzkill would be going to the plant and then finding out you had to make reservations!

Trust me, that is what happened to me at the Honda motorcycle plant in Marysville, Ohio. I had ridden out there from Maryland and then learned that the tours were booked up. This back before the days of Al Gore's lovely Internet!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks to Max for the heads up about making reservations in advance. Sorry for forgetting to mention that.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times
They can't sell cars, so now they want to give tours so they can try and convince us to buy NOW???

Good one!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
They can't sell cars, so now they want to give tours so they can try and convince us to buy NOW???

Good one!
Ah yes, marketing, what a bad thing that is...?

My son loved seeing the new technology and how cars are made. And that's a bad thing why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio