Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:04 PM

19 posts, read 51,302 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been living w/family since mid July and since middle of August
I have been getting SEVERE headaches which I think are sinus, but
then they turn into migraines.

I have been getting them almost every day! I did not have this problem
in San Diego, CA where I lived. I have been avoiding all the typical food
triggers that can set off a migraine, but I still get them. Now the pain is so bad I am taking Vicodins.

Anyone else have this problem living here? Could it be the weather or some
allergy??? I dont want to get dependent on pain meds, so there has got to be some remedy.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,218,516 times
I get major headaches and I believe they are sinus related. Mine usually go away with 800mg ibuprofen. I have gone to the doctor twice and talked to a pharmacist about the sinus problem, all three times I was told to take Mucinex.

I just bought me two bottles of Mucinex yesterday. It really helps me. If you try it be sure to get the 1200mg.

I hope that you get to feeling better. Have you been to a doctor?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:14 PM

304 posts, read 1,327,702 times
Do you take an anti-histamine? Many people that come here (Central Texas- SA and Austin is even worse) have never had allergies till they get here. We have tons because it usually doesn't freeze long enough to kill anything off. The mold is also a big one; don't know if you check the pollen report, but mold has been in the moderate to off the chart range for the last few weeks, and it is usually around to some degree.

I have regular sinus headaches, and yes...they can and do turn to migraines (mine have also). What you need to try is to cut it off before you get it, by taking an antihistamine. I take Generic version of Zyrtec, which is a 24 hour anthihistamine. Just take it everyday, regardless of how you feel. If you try to take it after you have a headache it doesn't seem to help.

Another thing that I do, that helps significantly is a natural Sinus rinse or use a neti pot (with a sinus rinse of saline). They sell this in any pharmarcy, if you don't know what/where it is, just ask the pharmacist. The best thing about this is there are no side effects.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,072 times
Although I am not one who believes all of the claims about natural alternatives to pharmaceuticals, this one actually has worked for me.

Find some locally produced 100% Texas wildflower honey. I have my wife purchase every truly local honey that she comes across, I mix them together and use them generously in a cup of tea in the morning. Something about the antibodies produced by bees exposed to the various pollens that you may be allergic to. I have no idea how it works, but I thpought it couldn't hurt when suggested. I do love the taste anyway. It works for me most of the year round.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM

98 posts, read 123,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback_tocali View Post
Hi,
I have been living w/family since mid July and since middle of August
I have been getting SEVERE headaches which I think are sinus, but
then they turn into migraines.

I have been getting them almost every day! I did not have this problem
in San Diego, CA where I lived. I have been avoiding all the typical food
triggers that can set off a migraine, but I still get them. Now the pain is so bad I am taking Vicodins.

Anyone else have this problem living here? Could it be the weather or some
allergy??? I dont want to get dependent on pain meds, so there has got to be some remedy.

thank you.
Really? Because I'm living in San Diego and just got through a bout of allergies! I had allergies when I lived in Texas 3 years ago, but when I moved here I wasn't troubled by them the first year. They kicked in again last year worse than ever before! Ugh!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,944,048 times
I get some whopper headaches !! Has to be allergies!! Nothing helps me...or rarely at least!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,432,195 times
The cedar and oak seem to be the biggest culprit here. In Houston, it was ragweed, pine, and oak that just killed everyone. You can live in a town for any length of time and suddenly one day develop allergies. It has a lot to do with your own crop of histamine-blocking agents that your body produces. Over time, they become less sensitive and you end up having to buy them from Walgreens.

I agree with two natural remedies posted here:

Honey definitely works, at least a tablespoon a day. The more local, the better. Don't use Florida Orange Blossom if you don't have Florida in your backyard LOL. Anything you can pick up that is within 50-100 miles of SA will work.

Neti pots are AWESOME, if you can figure out how to work them and not be afraid. I'm still working on hubby to get past the weird factor. I actually really love the way I can breathe the entire day after using mine. It's very noticable!

I personally can't take antihistamines. They make me so drowsy, even the "non-drowsy" ones. Ick.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I get major headaches and I believe they are sinus related. Mine usually go away with 800mg ibuprofen. I have gone to the doctor twice and talked to a pharmacist about the sinus problem, all three times I was told to take Mucinex.

I just bought me two bottles of Mucinex yesterday. It really helps me. If you try it be sure to get the 1200mg.

I hope that you get to feeling better. Have you been to a doctor?
Hi, thanks for your reply. sorry you have headaches, too!
I took Mucinex last yr. when I had a bad sinus infection, that plus
antibiotics helped. Maybe I will try some again.

Recently was taking ibuprofen, and/or excedrin for the migraines. I was taking up to like 1,600/mg a day and my migraine would not go away! so, I went to urgent care and they gave me a prescription for migraine medicine Imitrex and Vicodin. I did not get Imitrix cause it was $150 ( I have no insurance....ugh.)

I try to just take Tylenol for Arthritis (650mg) first, then if it still is bad migraine, like 1/2 Vicodin. I have tried herb Feverfew the last few days ( I read it's good for migraine) but now I feel kinda sick.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
Do you take an anti-histamine? Many people that come here (Central Texas- SA and Austin is even worse) have never had allergies till they get here. We have tons because it usually doesn't freeze long enough to kill anything off. The mold is also a big one; don't know if you check the pollen report, but mold has been in the moderate to off the chart range for the last few weeks, and it is usually around to some degree.

I have regular sinus headaches, and yes...they can and do turn to migraines (mine have also). What you need to try is to cut it off before you get it, by taking an antihistamine. I take Generic version of Zyrtec, which is a 24 hour anthihistamine. Just take it everyday, regardless of how you feel. If you try to take it after you have a headache it doesn't seem to help.

Another thing that I do, that helps significantly is a natural Sinus rinse or use a neti pot (with a sinus rinse of saline). They sell this in any pharmarcy, if you don't know what/where it is, just ask the pharmacist. The best thing about this is there are no side effects.
Hi,
thanks for your response. I have heard TX has bad allergies. I did not know about the mold. I have tried to take antihistamines, such as generic Claritin (Loratitine?). It does not seem to help the headaches. I will try the Zyrtec, thanks. I do use a saline rinse/irrigation like 2x/day already.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poguemahone View Post
Although I am not one who believes all of the claims about natural alternatives to pharmaceuticals, this one actually has worked for me.

Find some locally produced 100% Texas wildflower honey. I have my wife purchase every truly local honey that she comes across, I mix them together and use them generously in a cup of tea in the morning. Something about the antibodies produced by bees exposed to the various pollens that you may be allergic to. I have no idea how it works, but I thpought it couldn't hurt when suggested. I do love the taste anyway. It works for me most of the year round.

HI, I would love to use something natural-- thank you but I am ALLERGIC to bees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio