Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 PM

422 posts, read 759,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You didn't say which ISD you applied to. But you are talking about applying for teaching jobs in what is one of the more desirable places to live in Texas. Not surprising that they have no shortage of applicants. That doesn't mean you can't find an internship though if you look. They are out there. But it might mean driving an hour outside San Antonio to find a school willing to hire you in some rural town. Or it might mean moving someplace else for your intern year. Like say Victoria or McAllen or wherever the non-cool cities are in South Texas. People who want to teach will make it happen. Just don't expect to walk into the perfect job in the perfect school in the perfect town as an alt cert intern.

EDIT....sorry I misread your post. You are already teaching and just quoting what the administrators were saying at your job fair. Still, my point is valid. There are internships out there to be had if you are willing to find them. This is a big state with thousands of schools. And a lot of them have a hard time finding teachers.

I came from the Rio Grande Valley and now live in San Antonio. Yes I am teaching right now and when i went to a job fair in Mcallen in 2004 it was packed even more packed than the job fair that happens in June in San Antonio. I understand that we are having a shortage of teachers but also; have you ever been to the job fair here in San Antonio in June. Everybody stands in these huge lines and most of them don't even get hired yet we are having a shortage?

And like I said...for those of you looking to get into teaching it took me 3 years to get hired 2 of them with an alternative certification program degree. The university had so many students that weren't getting hired that they CANCELED the program and threw us all into the student teaching program...good call because that finally got us all hired as soon as we came out of the student teaching program.

As far as I'm concerned Alternative Certification has been a failure...the perception is that "we have a lot of professionals who are very smart and already have degrees let's help them get a teaching certificate" yah sounds all good to shore up the ranks problem is
that we are competing against other programs namely "student teaching"

Which is a much better route especially since student teaching initially gets you in the door where alternative certification does not.

Before you get into alternative certification ask your school for some statistics or atleast ask them how long the program has been running probably around 3-5 years these programs keep changing all the time because students in AC are finding it hard to get hired...anyways

good luck guys I have many friends in the military who are out of state who are moving into SA for the teacher job market...hopefully it won't be too crowded for you guys that are trying to get hired this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:53 PM

306 posts, read 761,302 times
It's beginning to look like, in any state, a teacher license is becoming just another thing to hang on your wall to cover up loose paneling, right alongside your bachelor's degree. Oh, and that medical billing certificate that the teacher admitted on the first day of class would only make you still have to volunteer for two years before any place would hire you. Oh, and the TESL one that won't be accepted overseas because it's not from a certain school accredited by some international board that certifies these things. Just like "only" a bachelor's in biology or chemistry isn't even good enough for a lab technician job anymore. For that you have to have at least a master's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio