Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,624,434 times

Advertisements

Hee! I differentiate my twang from other Midwestern twangs because I don't sound like I'm from Chicago, and that's what most people assume when you say "Midwestern twang". So. Midwestern farmer twang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,112,895 times
To say there's no difference between Midwestern farmer twang and Midwestern twang is madness.

You have the proper Chicago-Twin Cities accent, then you have the more "southern" influenced accent. VERY different when you leave the metros.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM

Anyone else got opinions? Doing more research and looking at pictures... I really can't wait to call SA home! Housing looks fairly cheap, wages are high, good food, hot weather... PARADISE! :P

Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,798,277 times
I just left the lexington airport today at 7am and got into SA around 12 today. It was snowing around 3 inches at the lexington airport! As someone from Texas, it made me real nervous hopping on a plane in the middle of a snowstorm.

I am so glad to be back in SA!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 PM

I live near the airport and there is nowhere near 3 inches and hasn't been for over a week, I'd try more like 1/2" :P Either way, Lex ain't a bad place to live, but what other advantages besides heavenly weather does SA have?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:31 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,624,434 times
Because we have pretty great weather year 'round there's always something fun going on. There are all kinds of festivals and fiestas and rodeos and art walks and I don't know what all. That, to me, is one big difference from the Midwest - SA doesn't basically shut off when winter comes.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM

431 posts, read 1,205,866 times
WURSFEST! (an example of what Linda brings up about weather-friendly events year round...)

Wurstfest is a fun German food and beer festival that is held in New Braunfels every year in November. I've lived in this area my entire 31 years, and I went for the first time last year. I will DEFINITELY be back this year...tons of fun.

Comal river toobing (also in New Braunfels) will help alleviate the stress of the heat over the summer. Last year was one of the longest, hottest summers on record. Please bring some cooler temps with you!

Prepare to wear shorts/flip-flops on Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:49 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,343,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I live near the airport and there is nowhere near 3 inches and hasn't been for over a week, I'd try more like 1/2" :P Either way, Lex ain't a bad place to live, but what other advantages besides heavenly weather does SA have?
2 hours from Corpus Christi (beach)
2 hours from Mexico (tourism to other country)
3 hours from Houston (4th largest city in the US)
4 hours from Dallas (3 largest metropolitan area in the US)
5 hours from South Padre Island (beach)
A billion mexican restaurants to pick from.

That's all I need (besides the weather, off course)

Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,071,981 times
Quote:
If you are in sales (mostly of anti-perspirants and allergy meds) you will be able to retire at 45.

Chanclas and shorts are acceptable attire at church. Churches (both the worship variety and the chicken hut) are plentiful.

Hope you like Sonic. (they're freakin' everywhere!)

Friendly people abound, for the most part. If they're not friendly, promptly shoot them (kidding ONLY!!) but you can carry a gun and defend your home and property if need be. This is a huge benefit to many people.

Life is good here. It's not perfect, but it's perfectly acceptable.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,798,277 times
Quote:
I heard someone at the airport mention that. In addition to that, he mentioned schools were being closed for that day.

As someone from Texas, I don't know the difference between 1/2 inches to 3 inches.

Either way, it was more than enough for me! I didn't mean to knock Lexington in a negative way. I just prefer warmer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio