Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,833 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

My husband, my 15-mo son, and I will be moving to S.A. in 6 weeks and we really need suggestions on housing options.

My boy has special needs and living in a decent area where therapists feel okay to do home visits is important to us. I have been told that "Stone Oak" is probably the best subdivision in S.A. My husband will be working in Fort Sam Houston and he thinks 30-min commute is fine (although people often complain about traffic in Stone Oak).

So, other than Stone Oak, anyone suggests any decent subdivisions? We are thinking of renting a single family house but apartment renting is also a option for us if the area is good.

Also, anyone familiar with Early Childhood Intervention? Does it matter where our physical address is when choosing therapists from ECI?

Thanks ahead!!
Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Where are you coming from that you already know so much about Stone Oak? Is it that well-known outside of SA, really?

Can't help you with any of your issues but good luck.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,833 times
Thanks.

We are coming from Chicago.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:45 AM

487 posts, read 1,117,886 times
I'll send you a DM. I know next to nothing about the needs you have with your son but I know Stone Oak very well and I'm very familiar with home health care. I don't know if I can help but will be glad to try.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Are you military? If so, what pay grade? I ask because Stone Oak is "higher end" homes and may not be within your housing allowance.

Also, don't confine yourself to just one area; there are multiple neighborhoods within a half hour's commute of Ft Sam that may fit your needs.

I would advise getting a good realtor/rental agent to help, we were assigned here twice during my career and it made a huge difference having someone who knows the area and who can help you find what you need.

And, as a parent of a special needs child as well (one of our sons is autistic); I can tell you we've been very happy with the services he has gotten through Northside Independent School District. We've heard good things about NEISD as well, but we've had positive firsthand experience with NISD. I know your son isn't school age yet, but if you are going to be here for a while it is something to consider.

Best of luck!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-01-2010, 09:48 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
And located in northeast San Antonio is the new Morgans Wonderland in case you missed it.

Morgan's Wonderland - The World's First Ultra Accessible Family Fun Park

Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymeatball View Post
Also, anyone familiar with Early Childhood Intervention? Does it matter where our physical address is when choosing therapists from ECI?

Thanks ahead!!
Charlotte
Yes, different agencies service different zip codes. ECI will provide services until age three, then he will transition to the school district. The two largest districts are NEISD and NISD. I live and work in NEISD, but I have heard many positive comments about NISD Special Ed, too. You may want to investigate both to help your decision.

Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238
North East Independent School District

FWIW, Stone Oak is fast becoming Medical Center II...you will have no trouble finding nearly every specialty here. Many physicians are relocating or opening secondary officies here in SO.

We received ECI services through Easter Seals about 12 years ago (although we lived in a different neighborhood then). Now, ALL of our physicians are located within 5 minutes of my house (except one who is out of state)

Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,767 times
Yes, Sapphire, Stone Oak does have a good reputation within the military community. At least they don't allow graffiti, litter, signs, shopping carts, roadside vendors,and panhandlers like many here seem to accept as the "norm".

Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Yes, Sapphire, Stone Oak does have a good reputation within the military community. At least they don't allow graffiti, litter, signs, shopping carts, roadside vendors,and panhandlers like many here seem to accept as the "norm".
OK....but I have seen panhandlers at 281 and 1604. Is that not considered Stone Oak? And that Wal-Mart is one of the busiest I've EVER been in. Throwing that in since everyone LOVES to bash the WM shopper. Not saying that SO is not a nice place, but please don't act like it's paradise on earth.

And I don't know who has given you the impression that we've accepted graffiti, etc. as the "norm".....many people are involved in trying to tackle these issues. In my own neighborhood, yes on the dreaded NW side that you are so bitter about, we have a team of people that cover up graffiti and generally clean up our neighborhood. Maybe you should turn some of your complaining about your 'hood into actually doing something about your 'hood. Or, are you the type that thinks since you didn't cause the problem you are not going to fix the problem?

Excuse the long response but I was actually asking the OP where she had heard about SO.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
ECI services is based on the school district you live in. We are SWISD so my daughter receives services through Brighton and they do home visits. Easter Seals is also another ECI org and they do home visits as well. Wherever you decide to move, contact either of those ECI orgs and ask them what school districts they serve. Brighton has been nothing but a blessing to our family and they have done an excellent job with my daughter who will be transitioning out in July. Like Pobre mentioned, we will be having a face to face with the school district to see what her options are (HeadStart, PCI) Even though I don't live in one of the Northside districts, I am confident that they will be able to meet the needs of my child.

Good luck and keep us posted on where you end up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio