Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 03:28 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,406 times

Advertisements

I pay for broadband internet only from Spectrum and have the slowest speed sold. I do not have phone, TV or any other product from them.

Spectrum is the only major provider for all of (not just parts of SA). There is another broadband provider (Grande) but Grande does not provide coverage for all of SA like Spectrum, just a piece of it. Basically, Spectrum is a monopoly regarding broadband internet for a good portion of SA.

I looked at my bill and for broadband internet only of the slowest speed sold, my bill is about $70. This is the price for loyal and existing customers. I looked at the cost for Cable TV for 125 channels and it is less what I am paying now.

A few questions:

1. Do you believe $70 (almost $100) per month is a fair price for the slowest broadband speed allowable?

2. Is this price comparable to what other developed countries pay for their internet?

3. Is other countries developed internet generally faster then ours and in better shape?

4. Is it acceptable that Spectrum has a monopoly on broadband for a large portion of this city?

5. Historically, do monopolies normally keep prices in check and fair?

6. How is just providing a line up to one's home so they can use internet more expensive (or only slightly less expensive) for a customer then paying for the content that is on it (major TV shows, movies etc.) when the cable company has to pay these channels money for each of these shows/movies/product?

7. Should internet be provided as a utility (like electricity) because of the importance of it (bill pay, knowledge, learning) with local and national providers just competing to provide the content?

Last edited by txbullsfan; 06-01-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 04:35 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
I don't think the monopoly for broadband internet will be lasting much longer in San Antonio. Most areas of the city have at least two providers, now.

Google Fiber is in the build-out phase here, and has already begun offering service in limited parts of San Antonio. Their coverage supposedly will be city-wide, upon completion of the build-out. Google has been offering their gigabit speed internet (which is the only level of service being offered in San Antonio) for $55/month, significantly undercutting competitor's pricing for similar speeds here, as well as pricing their service significantly lower here than in Austin, as well. My nephew lives in Austin, and is paying $80/month for his Google Fiber standalone gigabit internet service.

AT&T has also been busy trying to beat Google to the finish line, and has rolled out fiber services to include gigabit internet to a significant portion of San Antonio so far. AT&T began offering fiber to a substantial portion of my neighborhood in 2016, and my block got added last year. AT&T has been sending me promotional material offering speed tiers of 50mbps, 100mbps, and 1 gigabit with their fiber service, and are apparently no longer offering their "U-verse" branded products in fiber areas. Their TV service is now DirecTV satellite that doesn't run off their fiber network.

I thought I heard an ad from Spectrum recently offering internet speeds "up to" something like 940mbps. The providers all seem to be phasing out or grandfathering slower-speed lower-cost internet services, in favor of higher-speed higher-cost.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:14 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,522 times
Don't drop the soap in front Spectrum or you'll get an unpleasant suprise. I'm what they call a "TW Legacy Customer" so I get to pay $39.95 instead of the Spectrum promo of $29.95 per month. What I'm paying for is 200/11. However I'm only getting 90/11. They told me that it was my NIC. So I updated it's drivers with no success whatsoever. My last resort is to get a newer NIC and hope that works. Or buy a new computer. Bah !!!!!!

Old 06-01-2018, 08:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
If you call them every year when they raise your rate and ask about discounts, they'll usually put it back to the regular rate. I'm paying $62 including tax. As soon as Google Fiber is available, I'll switch. AT&T fiber is available in my area, but AT&T has always been sneaky and their salesmen don't understand "no soliciting" signs.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you call them every year when they raise your rate and ask about discounts, they'll usually put it back to the regular rate.
FYI- Spectrum will no longer do this. Promotional pricing is now limited to the initial term only with new service activation.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:00 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,522 times
That's exactly what they told me when I asked if I could switch. They'really trying to take "the most hated cable company" title away from Comcast.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:49 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
FYI- Spectrum will no longer do this. Promotional pricing is now limited to the initial term only with new service activation.
Then I'll probably cancel next time mine goes up, and my husband can put it in his name as a new customer.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:04 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,900 times
Yes $60 is worth it for the 220 I get

Old 06-02-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Then I'll probably cancel next time mine goes up, and my husband can put it in his name as a new customer.
That might work, but it didn't work for me when I tried to cancel service at my late mother's residence, and establish a new account in my name, because the address had some level of Spectrum service currently or within the last 30 days.

They said I would need to cancel and return all equipment, and wait at least 30 days before establishing a new account with promotional pricing. So, I cancelled and returned the equipment, and told them I was just going to establish service with a competitor instead (and I did). They said "OK, I'll take care of that", and I never looked back. Got a refund on the unused portion of my mother's service that had already been paid, too!

Spectrum absolutely refused to work with me on any kind of del or promotion.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:39 AM

1,032 posts, read 875,099 times
Internet is privilege, not a right. A luxury item. Same with cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio