Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 AM

20 posts, read 52,660 times

Advertisements

City considers four-day workweek

Quote:
In a potential cost-cutting move, the city is considering a pilot program that would put administrative employees on a four-day workweek, the budget director said Wednesday.

The proposed schedule, cast as a way to shrink an expected budget shortfall in fiscal year 2011, would lengthen employees' workdays from eight to 10 hours but enable them to take an extra day off each week.

Budget Director Maria Villagomez, in her midyear budget presentation to the City Council on Wednesday, said city staff is evaluating the idea. The council will be given a recommendation after an employee survey and additional research.

“I can probably save you some time on that survey,” Councilman Reed Williams said. “It'll probably come out favorably.”

But although such a plan might make sense for hourly workers, it is not practical for salaried employees, Williams added.

“Most of our city employees work a lot more than 40 hours a week,” he said. “This basically creates 52 extra vacation days (a year), for the people who decide to take it.”

In her report, Villagomez projected that the city could be looking at a fiscal year 2011 budget shortfall of $41 million to $68 million — if the council follows through on requested spending increases. She said the new employee schedule could save the city money on utilities and custodial services while reducing vehicle emissions.

El Paso implemented the four-day work schedule as a pilot program in 2009 and made it a permanent feature last year.

If approved by the council, the pilot program could be implemented as early as this summer, according to Villagomez.

The city's fiscal year begins Oct. 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
If it'll save the city money, why not?

An added benefit is that it will push those employees' commutes outside of either the morning or evening rush hour. Fewer drivers on the road during rush hour eases traffic congestion.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,222 times
For those who work on the front lines (with customers), perhaps there will be later hours to serve the public. Some of the reps will work Monday-Thurs and some will do Tuesday-Friday. I dunno, I just hope it results in some services open to the public that needs them after 5pm.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If it'll save the city money, why not?
Again, people tend to oversimplif things

How is that going to affect productivity?
Are they going to force the workers to do in 4 days what they were doing in 5 days?
Or is the city going to take longer doing ... anything.
Because it's either one or the other.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Again, people tend to oversimplif things

How is that going to affect productivity?
Are they going to force the workers to do in 4 days what they were doing in 5 days?
Or is the city going to take longer doing ... anything.
Because it's either one or the other.
City workers would spend 40 hours in the workplace over 4 days, rather than 5. Same hours implies that there should be enough time to get the same amount of work done.

I used to have a co-worker that opted to work 4x10 workweeks and she loved it.

I suppose if the only city worker who can do something you need to have done doesn't work on Fridays and you try to reach her on a Friday, that would be an example of something that would take longer to get done. You'd have to call back, or wait for a returned call on the following week.

OTOH, if that same worker is in the office for 2 hours longer the other 4 weekdays, that schedule might be an advantage for the citizen who needs her help on a Wednesday at 5:30 PM.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
City workers would spend 40 hours in the workplace over 4 days, rather than 5. Same hours implies that there should be enough time to get the same amount of work done.
I was reading too fast,
I thought they were going from 40 to 32 hour week

Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I thought they were going from 40 to 32 hour week

Sign me up if they do!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
I would love this kind of schedule!!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,378 times
I like the idea, but I wonder why is the City pushing light rail, parking meters, a bike lanes, and the trolly, when we will be looking at a budget problem? They are also considering raising property taxes as well. One of the plans is to cut employee pay by 12% as well. I think they need to stop spending on plans that costs millions, but have not proven anywhere to save money. I am all for saving money, but look at what you are spending first!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 AM

432 posts, read 3,658,520 times
I would gladly work 4x10 over 5x8. Go in to work 30 minutes early and leave 30 minutes late, and give up the lunch hour = 10 hours. Minimal inpact on daily routine, and you get a 3 day weekend every week.

I bet this type of plan (hopefully) will become commonplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio