Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM

29 posts, read 106,309 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting transferred to Palm Desert area within the next 2 months. We have been looking in the Indio, La Quinta, Coachella area for rental homes and apartments. I was just wondering what area or areas anyone would recommend staying AWAY from..

Thanks
Buckeye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:43 PM

268 posts, read 1,199,741 times
Hello Buckeyes:

Personally, I would scratch Coachella off my list. It is a fairly poor, high crime area. Indio is marginally better, but definitely has it's sketchy parts. I would stick with either La Quinta or Palm Desert, or if you don't mind a little drive, look in Palm Springs.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:00 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,643 times
La Quinta is great but more expensive then the other areas. Indio is starting to grow and has lot's of new homes that resonable along with new amentities.
Best of luck!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 PM

159 posts, read 810,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes View Post
My husband is getting transferred to Palm Desert area within the next 2 months. We have been looking in the Indio, La Quinta, Coachella area for rental homes and apartments. I was just wondering what area or areas anyone would recommend staying AWAY from..

Thanks
Buckeye

I vote La quinta. Palm Desert is nice but their utilities are almost
double that of La quinta. Palm Desert would be my number two choice and
I would not move to Coachella... Maybe Indio in the new part of shadow
hills if you didn't find anything in La quinta. You should check out craigslist
or ... the desert area mls. It's just desertareamls.com

Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM

29 posts, read 106,309 times
Thanks guys for the help.

What about Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage Or Desert Hot springs? Does anyone know anything about these 3 places?

Last edited by Buckeyes; 07-18-2007 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM

159 posts, read 810,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes View Post
Thanks guys for the help.

What about Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage Or Desert Hot springs? Does anyone know anything about these 3 places?
All three will be on higher utility rates. Rancho Mirage is the nicest
of the three, then Catherdral City and I would avoid Desert Hot
springs. They have a high crime rate.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 24,026 times
I moved into the enclave apts 3 months a go. I feel safe there. All the apts come with your own parking garage (without the extra fees most other places charge). Before I moved in, I started reading the police posting (on their web site) to see what areas had the most problems. I decided to move into the enclave after checking out several other places. If you decided to move in, contact me and I'll split the $600. finders fee with you.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
You DON'T want Indio, Desert Hot Sprimgs, Coachella, or Cathedral City!!!

Stick with Indian Wells, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, or La Quinta. The poster who said La Quinta is more expensive than Palm Desert is not entirely correct. likewise, whoever said Rancho Mirage is the nicest of the cities is also not entirely correct. These are matters of opinion. Personally, I prefer Palm Desert over La Quinta - I lived in Palm Desert, am now in La Quinta, and when the economy goes back up and I don't have to sell my house at a loss, we are moving back to Palm Desert, or possibly Indian Wells. We have found La Quinta to be cheaper than Palm Desert, but we like the Palm Desert vibe so much better than the La Quinta vibe.

But under NO circumstances would I move to any of the cities I listed in my opening line! If you value your life and you like to live - skip those cities, i.e; CC, DHS, Indio, Coachella.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 31,572 times
We are also looking to move to the area. We are a young family, in our mid 30's with a 1 1/2 year old. We are from San Diego orginially but currently live on the east coast. We have only been to Palm Springs to vacation and have never considered the area as a permanent residence. We want to live where we are close to shopping and good restaurants (non-chains preferably). Is Rancho Mirage higher end in terms of shopping/housing? Where is the best school district?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zills View Post
We are also looking to move to the area. We are a young family, in our mid 30's with a 1 1/2 year old. We are from San Diego orginially but currently live on the east coast. We have only been to Palm Springs to vacation and have never considered the area as a permanent residence. We want to live where we are close to shopping and good restaurants (non-chains preferably). Is Rancho Mirage higher end in terms of shopping/housing? Where is the best school district?
Rancho Mirage has NO shopping, save for the cigar shops, wine, chocolate shops, etc. at The River. Palm Desert has all the shopping. Palm Desert also has great restaurants - both non-chain and chain. RM also has some nice restaurants, but Palm Desert is a better place if you want all the "stuff". RM is primarily residential.

As for high-end homes, they can be found in Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, and La Quinta. All four cities have very nice, very expensive, very exclusive, high-end homes.

Rancho Mirage is in the Palm Springs Unified School District, so your kids would be going to Cat City or Palm Springs schools. DON'T DO IT!!! You want to be in the Desert Sands district - La Quinta, Indian Wells, Palm Desert. Both Palm Desert and La Quinta schools made the Newsweek list of top schools in the nation. My kids attended (one currently still attends) Palm Desert schools and we have NO complaints about their education, or their schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties