Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 AM

306 posts, read 436,722 times

Advertisements

This describes my situation so I am looking for some opinions.

Would you feel financially comfortable moving to San Diego if you had a similar circumstance?

47 years old, single, healthy.

Have lived in SD twice before, (last time was 2000), and spent six years in LA.

Love the city and most of what it has to offer.

Have a few contacts and friends there.

Can take my job with me although it will only last for about 6 more months.

Have no debt, including no car payment and could comfortably live with no income for 6 months without dipping into retirement. Very thrifty, no vices.

Have a degree and strong background in sales.

Have my own side business that could be set up the day I got there and could generate income (1-2k a month) within 6 months.

Would also not be crushed if the job market forced me to look in the LA area as a backup plan.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
Would you feel financially comfortable moving to San Diego if you had a similar circumstance?
Have no debt, including no car payment and could comfortably live with no income for 6 months without dipping into retirement. Very thrifty, no vices.
Have my own side business that could be set up the day I got there and could generate income (1-2k a month) within 6 months.
Would also not be crushed if the job market forced me to look in the LA area as a backup plan.Thank you.
The first question that comes to my mind is this: do you have enough cash to tide you over for the first couple of months - i.e. for rent, food, transportation? Sounds like you might be OK after that, but I'm just wondering if you have the wherewithall to withstand the initial few weeks???

Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
The first question that comes to my mind is this: do you have enough cash to tide you over for the first couple of months - i.e. for rent, food, transportation? Sounds like you might be OK after that, but I'm just wondering if you have the wherewithall to withstand the initial few weeks???
He does say "could comfortably live with no income for 6 months without dipping into retirement."

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
To answer your question: Yes.

You've got enough financial back up to make a go of it. And if you found a cheap apartment, you could stay here indefinitely even if you never found a regular job besides your side gig.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM

233 posts, read 885,973 times
Actually it doesn't say if the OP is male or female. Not that it maters, I was just wondering. I came out 2 1/2 years ago with a worse situation than that and I'm still here. You only live once

Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
here's my opinion, never ever made a move where there is even the remote possibility that you would have to dip into retirement, especially at your age. This is especially important since you say your current job will only last 6 months.

People who have "side businesses" usually overestimate how much money they are going to generate. You are moving to an area that was hit pretty hard because of the housing crash, and CA is broke, bankrupt, it is a business "unfriendly" state, so I would think twice or three times.

You've already lived here twice so why did you leave?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
He does say "could comfortably live with no income for 6 months without dipping into retirement."
I missed that part! Maybe it was a freudian slip - jealous, I don't want to know about people who can do that ...

Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,239,212 times
YES. without a doubt. then again i would move there under almost any circumstances. in fact i should already be living there. grrrr.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Yes, and like your can do attitude.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:20 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post

Would also not be crushed if the job market forced me to look in the LA area as a backup plan.

Thank you.
First off, I'm about your age (a year older, actually). Three friends/acquaintances in my town have died this Fall of natural causes. One was 47 and two were 46. What do you think my answer to your question would be? My answer is the same as Grateful Deb's and that's that you live once (at least this time around).

For those that need a 100% money-back guarantee on every single action they take before they do anything, then more power to them, they must think that they will live to be a 1000 years old. The truth of the matter is that life doesn't wait around for anyone. You sound equipped to move to San Diego or wherever else you choose. Happy holidays and good luck if you choose to make your move back to San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: