Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM

9 posts, read 53,377 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving from Portland and San Francisco to North County SD for work. I will dearly miss living in walkable/bike-friendly cities as I know that cars are pretty necessary in SoCal. However, such is life, and I'm sure there are wonderful things to discover in North County. Because of where my job is located, I'm looking at things only in North County as I'm not able to look as far south as San Diego proper.

I wondered if people had thoughts on what communities would be as close to a small city atmosphere as possible? So far, I've been researching Encinitas, Carmel Valley, Solana Beach, Leucadia, Cardiff, and Del Mar.

Do people have thoughts on which is most walkable for running errands (as I know there will undoubtedly be long drives everywhere else), somewhat diverse and liberal, good for single professionals in their 30s? Looking for maybe middle of the road in terms of wealth, or at least down-to-earth, somewhat socially concerned communities. I am looking for a places where young people are out at night and stores don't close too early, where I could walk/bike to restaurants and shops, walk my dogs near the beach, and where I wouldn't be out of place as a young, single, professional. I'd like to find a nice area where there might be community and cultural activities too. I love the outdoors, so I know the beach will be a big part of things. I can maybe spend up to 2500/mo, although kind of wince at the idea.

I might be asking for a lot, but I'm sure there are gems that people are proud of out in North County. There's been great discussion I've seen on the forum.

Am I looking at the right communities? And would you suggest one over all the others? I really appreciate anyone's suggestions, and any further commentary they might have on particular places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
I'd focus on either downtown Encinitas (along Highway 101 from about E Street to K Street) or Del Mar. Maybe Cardiff by the Sea, too. They are the most compact and walkable sections of coastal North County. The others you mentioned are more spread out in terms of shopping and things to do. Not real far, but not what I'd call walkable either.
I think you could find apartments and maybe homes to rent with your budget, but it would be cutting it close.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Thanks Encinitan. I appreciate how specific you were about neighborhoods too. I will definitely check that area out. I suppose I can also make some concessions about walkability depending on the entire fit. I'm also getting conflicting thoughts on Del Mar. A friend of mine suggested Del Mar, but then another told me it was for retirees?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
I think your second friend means Del Mar is an older crowd, and it sort of is. But there are lots of younger families and even single younger professionals who live in Del Mar, so it's not entirely true. Del Mar is certainly older (and snobbier) than Encinitas or Solana Beach, but it's not La Jolla, either.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 PM

19 posts, read 88,212 times
Encinitan is right ... Downtown Encinitas is just about the ideal North County spot. There are some brand new condos that are opening up there too. Pacific Station, I believe. If I could afford it, that would be the place I'd live. There are a lot of local shops; Ace Hardware; Starbucks; good organic restaurants; yoga studios; etc. and allegedly a Whole Foods opening up soon. And when you need, you can go inland a tiny bit to get to all the chain places ... Target, Petco, the mall, etc. Encinitas has a laid back, beach vibe.

Del Mar skews a little older and richer, and to me, the shops in that area don't seem as useful. They seem more "high-end retail." But it is a beautiful area, and there are a couple really good restaurants that I'll visit.

Solana Beach is great too ... maybe a little more tranquil than Encinitas. It has a downtown area that's great for walking with a lot of local shops and restaurants too. Plus, I think it might have the easiest walking access to the beach. And if you ever need, there's a big train station right in the middle of it all. Hmm. Maybe Solana Beach is my ideal spot?!?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:43 PM

59 posts, read 174,613 times
I live in the south end of Carlsbad off the coast hwy, I love this section of north county, great views, awesome for biking, and a few good surf breaks...It does tend to be a little more quiet, family oriented. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Thanks everybody! I'm excited to check these communities out. I think I'll pay particular attention to Solana beach and Encinitas downtown. If anybody has particular neighborhoods in mind, I'm so grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego