Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 8,355 times

Advertisements

I have debt collectors calling me for debt I believe am not legally required to pay (I don't think it's mine). I am new (ish) to the States so a bit clueless on who to ask for help. In England I would go to a place called the Citizens Advice Bureau, is there something in San Diego like this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,767 times
What do you mean you "don't think it's" yours? Either it's yours or it isn't. If you're trying to weasel your way out of paying for something you owe, then you should be ashamed of yourself. If it's not yours, then tell the collectors it's not your debt, and prove it to them. It shouldn't be that hard to do if it's not your debt.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:17 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
I agree with the other poster. If the debt is yours then work to pay it.

If it's not yours or there is mistake, credit card fraud, etc. try this forum as it has some good advice.

FICO® Forums - FICO® Forums

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,309 times
Are you saying you're a victim of identity theft? If so, get the information on what is owed and to whom, and file a police report; you'll need that later. This has happened to me, and they'll have your name, maybe even you SSN. That police report is necessary when 'your" debt is sold to another collector. You can then fax the report top them and they go away. Unfortunately you will probably always have this debt lingering out there, because the culprits are rarely caught.
If it's just a case of a no-load with a similar name tell them its not you and there is an agency to report that to that stops the harassment, but I can't think of the name.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
MovingAloha,

It's amazing how much this happens. I also am a victim of identity theft. The crazy thing is I never knew for a few years as I haven't lived in the USA for a few years and I never bothered to check my credit report and have no debt.

It took a long time to sort out but you are right about getting police reports, etc. It's essential.

It's also a GREAT idea to check your credit report regularly. You can even get it free once a year from the credit bureaus now. Even if you have no debt it's a good idea to check your report at least once a year. Now I signed up for one of those services that sends an email alert anytime my credit report changes.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
MovingAloha,

It's amazing how much this happens. I also am a victim of identity theft. The crazy thing is I never knew for a few years as I haven't lived in the USA for a few years and I never bothered to check my credit report and have no debt.

It took a long time to sort out but you are right about getting police reports, etc. It's essential.

It's also a GREAT idea to check your credit report regularly. You can even get it free once a year from the credit bureaus now. Even if you have no debt it's a good idea to check your report at least once a year. Now I signed up for one of those services that sends an email alert anytime my credit report changes.
Having creditors call must suck. I recently helped a family member deal with some past issues she had on hers. If you do enough digging around and your dot your i's and cross your t's, you should be fine. If it turns out you DO owe the money, at least you will have it verified and you can take the proper steps to clean it up.

Here are some tips:
- The best thing to do is to ALWAYS write a letter of verification to the originating company, have it sent Certifed Mail USPS. Verification sample letters are all over the web. Its basically legalese asking that the claim is true and to prove it. It also gives them a timeline (30 days) to respond. Keep the green Certified card until the debt is cleared.
- If they call, and ask for you specifically and you agree yes or no, depending on where the debt took place makes the world of a difference because of SOL in each state. Yes the federal govt has an 8 year SOL but states do also. In some states, a phone call verification is all that is needed.
- On a website like myfico.com (the most accurate score out there) you can file disputes regarding specific instances of error on your accounts. Doing it online is far easier and more effective than sending in mail.
- If you do owe the debt and you are absolutely sure, then NEVER pay the amount they are claiming and make sure that you have the cash (if you can). UNLESS this is the actual original creditor, the third party collection businesses pay pennies on the dollar for junk debt and then tell you that you owe the original amount plus interest. Negotiate and if they dont want to, dont pay them. Keep calling them until they are ready to settle for 1/4 the total amount.
- If you agree on a payment, in return for the payment, you require that they send you a letter stating that the amount was "settled". If not, you wil never have proof it was really paid and it can actually be RESOLD to another 3rd party thus starting the cycle again.

Last but not least, THEY know that you are trying to clear up a debt, but also they want your MONEY. Dont just give it to them, never. They can threaten you all they want. They are bloodsuckers. Hopefully you wont have to play hardball with them and they will have a smooth process.

Good luck

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 01-28-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 8,355 times
Thanks for the information. Generally I don't come on to forums because I find people rude as per the first post. Debt being yours or not yours is not as cut and dried as you think. No one has stole my identity, but someone I don't known has f'd me over. Shmoov_groovzsd, i will be taking on your advise.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Dont just give it to them, never. They can threaten you all they want. They are bloodsuckers.
Actually, I beg to differ. If a person incurs debt and doesn't pay it, hoping to weasel out of it, or hoping to settle it for a reduced rate, then that person is the bloodsucker.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Actually, I beg to differ. If a person incurs debt and doesn't pay it, hoping to weasel out of it, or hoping to settle it for a reduced rate, then that person is the bloodsucker.
I agree 100%. The preface of my post was stating that the op should always verify debt first. If it turns out you do in fact owe the money, then pay.

There are plenty of companies out there scamming was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego