Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:02 PM

9 posts, read 17,455 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear from people who currently live downtown or have in the past. I am going to be moving from Boca Raton, Florida and have never lived in a downtown community before. What are some of the pros/cons of living downtown? I am a mid twentys single male, will I mesh well with the demographics? Do you use your car if you live/work downtown? I will have my car with me but I don't see much of a need for it during the week. And lastly, what is your opinion on the Electra building? Will it be super noisy from the trains?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,863 times
you will be just fine in your demographic-20-early 30 somethings are plentiful. The gaslamp and east village and to some degree Little Italy are the loudest areas. I live in/on Cortez Hill. I like it a lot, it is close to the main business areas, but a tad of a walk to the entertainment areas-about 10 minutes/.75 mile. Given its location, it is peaceful. Most of the condos downtown have a parking space. Regarding the electra, I don't think the train will be an issue, but there could be a lot of other noise depending on what floor you are on-for better or worse it is in the thick of things. You should see it in person before renting if noise is an issue. Do you want to live somewhere where you can walk to you office? No matter where it is, I am sure you will have no problem finding something close given the distribution of housing downtown.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 17,455 times
I am under contract on a unit in Electra near the 20th floor. I saw the unit in person and loved it and the location but I was not able to stay in the unit overnight so I really don't know how loud things are. I know the trolley station is 1 block from Electra and also stops 1 block away from where I will be working so that is how I intend to get to work. Would you say the area around Electra is pretty safe? I can walk to restaurants and bars in about 10 minutes? I currently do not live in California by the way.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 PM

you will be just fine. I think by the 20th floor things should be quiet-of not you may need to close the window when you go to sleep. As far as safety, I would consider it reasonably stable around there, and good for an urban area. It is a busy area with all kinds of people from homeless, to residents workers, to tourists (lots!) all intermingling. Either way there is volume which helps safety. I am sure one could get pick pocketed or get in a stupid drunk fight, but if you are sensible you will have no issues. I am sure you will have no regrets. There is plenty to do around there too-you can walk to restaurants and bars in far less than 10 minutes!

to add-Broadway can be a little gritty but not unsafe IMO. It is just a working urban core area and transportation hub. You can easily walk to the gaslamp and a little further- Little Italy or East Village. Also, while it is really touristy, Seaport Village has some nice walking paths along the water, and of course all the touristy waterfront places.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 PM

116 posts, read 251,551 times
If I worked downtown again, I would live downtown after down-sizing my vehicle collection.

If I worked anywhere other than downtown, I probably wouldn't live downtown, as is the case now.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 AM

177 posts, read 399,048 times
You absolutely need a car here. Don't let the Trolley fool you. If you want to go anywhere fun like the Zoo, Sea World, Balboa Park, Beaches, La Jolla, PB, OB, Hillcrest... hell, even the airport, then you will be out of luck.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM

I don't think anyone was talking about getting rid of a car in this thread. Not to say that is would be easy to be car free here (b/c that would be subjective) Most of those places you mention have direct (no transfers) from Downtown. There is a bus that runs right down Broadway to the airport. I have taken it and it is very convenient. Also buses run continuously up park blvd (zoo/Balboa Park) and to Hillcrest. I have not taken one to LJ, PB, or OC, but there is one out to Coronado. While there is better public transport in bigger cities, I don't think it is bad here-the weather certainly helps-no standing out in the cold/hot/rain. I have never felt unsafe the times I have used the transport here. No I am not ready to give up my scooters, but I am about ready to give up the car.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:46 AM

177 posts, read 399,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM9555 View Post
Do you use your car if you live/work downtown?
Yes, it's almost near impossible to get by in San Diego without a car, even when you live downtown. Unless you want to ride the busses with the homeless, there isn't much you can count on the trolley for unless you want to go to SDSU or Qualcomm for a Chargers' game (which might not even exist after next season or two).

Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,278,783 times
SLM9555,

Downtown SD is my old stomping ground. My first tip to you is to just explore the area. As a quick guide, I have some other "locale" tips for you.

Electra is a very good building. 20 floors up as Clevelandgal said should be ok. The buildings like the Grande, Electra and Sapphire which surround the Santa Fe Depot trolley and train area all have windows installed that block the noise out very well. Not sure you will be sleeping with the windows open, but its not all that bad. I knew a guy that had a place at Park Place right by a street crossing and that bell would be ringing every 15-20 mins! Total fail.

Walking 10 minutes East along Broadway will put you "into town" at the fringes of restaurants and and Downtown core areas near the Gaslamp. Its a good 20 minute walk to the Ralphs (supermarket) from where Electra is. Sadly there is no trolley that goes near the Ralphs except the Convention Center stop which would still require a 10 minute walk to get to Ralphs. There will be lots of homeless on your walk into town. Most of them beg but are not terribly aggressive. THe "regulars" hang out in certain areas, like legless chap at the Ralphs in the wheelchair. He is actually a pretty congenial guy so I wold toss him a sandwich or something.

Going west across Harbor Dr is literally right across the street to the harbor. There are touristy things around there, but still really nice nonetheless to unplug and go for a walk or bike ride. Another bonus is that there is a ferry terminal right there that can take you over to Coronado. My wife and I would take our bikes on that quite often and just cruise around Coronado and have lunch or something/go the beach etc.
There is also a nice bike path that can take you all the way into Pt Loma. This is still my favorite bike path for an easy cruise to Pt Loma Seafoods for a quick bite.

15 minute walk north of Electra is Little Italy. You can either take the trolley up 1 stop or 2 if you want to get to the northern most part of Little Italy/Middletown area from the Santa Fe Depot. On Saturdays there is the "Little Italy Mercato" street market which is one of the better farmers market in San Diego. Lots of vendors, great views of the Bay.

10 minute walk south puts you at Seaport Village which is a nice little "shire" like town. Not sure if you will find hobbits or gnomes there, but its a touristy place that has lots of little knick knack type shops and quick service restaurants. Great place for taking kids or visitors to.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:28 PM

one of our favorite bargain sunday routines is going to that Greek place at Seaport Village, and enjoying a 1/2 carafe of wine and plate of mixed olives. Waterfront people watching for under $10.

Last edited by Clevelandgal; 04-10-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego