Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,282,616 times

Advertisements

FYI:

2009 Base API County List of Schools - San Diego County

Where I live in Lemon Grove, its REALLY interesting to see the variances in scores between ethnic groups. To the school experts, how much is weighted in to the overall average when it comes to the last 3 from the list below in contrast to other school districts that are the "best" in the county. I am certain in more affluent areas, the 3 I just mentioned at the bottom of the list dont necessarily apply? Is this correct?

Golden Ave Elementary:

White: 868
Hispanic or Latino: 791
Black or African American: 795
Disabilities: 668
English Learners: 755
Socioeconomically disadvantaged: 780
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 PM

788 posts, read 1,878,515 times
The scores of disabled students are not factored in, but the other categories are considered. They have the actual weights listed on the CA Department of Education website I believe.... Yes, they still apply even in affluent communities, however there are usually less english learners & socioeconomically disadvantaged youth.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
The scores of disabled students are not factored in, but the other categories are considered. They have the actual weights listed on the CA Department of Education website I believe.... Yes, they still apply even in affluent communities, however there are usually less english learners & socioeconomically disadvantaged youth.
Wow, I had a hunch this was the case. These statistics and API scores are something that I never had growing up.....well to this extreme for certain parental units.

Thanks so much rhanifin, for the quick synopsis. I will have to check out the website. Even to some of my friends here that grew up in SD, they think its pretty ridiculous how crazy some folks are with this whole thing about the scores and 'should I buy the house on this side of the street or that side'?

So, cutting to the chase. When I hear the rah rah about API scores associated the premise above, its considered 'undesirable'. In other words, those two groups in the latter, mentioned above, is not where parents would choose to send their kids to school...or better yet, be associated with. Jeez. Makes it sound like kids from lower income schools dont go to Stanford or become somebody.

EDIT: I just read this website and it really did clear things up http://www.ed-data.k12.ca.us/article...anding+the+api
and it appers that the 3 from that list ARE calculated.
"An API is calculated for the whole school plus its “numerically significant subgroups,” including socioeconomically disadvantaged students, English learners, and students with disabilities. "

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 05-10-2011 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM

788 posts, read 1,878,515 times
Yeah I have read the online statement, but I was slightly confused since (in my interpretation), the typical very low scores of disabled students do not have any impact on the overall school API even when there is a large proportion of this subgroup. Some schools have very high overall API scores even when a large disabled subgroup scores in the 500s or 600s...

The API is basically just an easier way of looking at test scores. It is calculated (depending on grade level) by giving different weights to different subjects. English, for example, is usually given a 30% weight in the overall API score. The actual number comes from the average placement on the state test:
Advanced category= API of 1000
Proficient= 875
Basic= 700

The focus on API scores is a new method, but not a new phenomena. Since the suburbanization of the US began in the 1950s, middle/upper-middle class families (primarily white,native english speakers) have fled to the suburbs for the best schools, which are extremely homogenous. I'm sure you are familiar with this having lived in San Diego. API scores merely confirm the middle class suspicion that the best schools (for test scores, and thus their own child's success) are in the suburbs. The general public believes that a higher overall API score means that students are learning more and that the school is better. In many cases, however, this is completely misguided.

However in recent decades and especially in San Diego, the suburbs are no longer homogenous and are actually very diverse in some cases. Nonetheless, the API is still a crucial tool for helping parents find the schools with the highest overall test scores, which in most cases allows them to segregate themselves from undesirable socioeconomic classes, races, or even levels of english proficiency.

At first glance, it seems that the API serves only to reinforce de facto segregation, but there are many instances in which the API helps integrate different socioeconomic classes, races, etc. and they actually end up performing better than more homogenous schools. A good example is Mira Mesa High, which performs better than nearby University City.

The importance of the API is also supported by the correlation of API score to wealth and the overall reputation of the school.
However, there are many schools that do not follow the correlation of wealth. La Jolla, La Costa Canyon, Carlsbad, Mt. Carmel and San Dieguito have mediocre scores despite being in more affluent areas. On the other hand, schools like Mission Vista, San Marcos, Mission Hills, Mira Mesa, and Bonita Vista perform well despite being less affluent.

Last edited by sdhkshdcny09; 05-10-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Rhanifin,

Thanks for the taking the time in explaining what seems to be a somewhat dizzying subject and sacred cow. It also somewhat proves what others choose not to say which is that they dont want their children to be mixed with kids from the 'other side of the tracks' out of fear and certain degree of passive elitism. There are of course, good arguments to both sides. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't as extreme as some parents make it out to be with a 'Good school district or bust' mentality.
On a personal note, it seems funny that this quasi-elitism still exists. I dont think it would too much of a mystery to speculate that there just as many paycheck to paycheck families in the upper middle class areas as there are in the lower.

Again, thanks

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 05-10-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego