Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times

Advertisements

This is some major news for homeowners in SD City. It seems the biggest opposing group to this change are near SDSU like College Area. I dont see the impact hitting now but down the line, neighborhoods will certainly be more dynamic. Obviously this can be good or bad.

If you are in an SD City neighborhood, do you think this will impact your neighborhood? Property Values? It seems like a gold rush for investors to pick up distressed properties and maximize ROI with more units per lot.

Hey! Now Grandma Can Move In! - voiceofsandiego.org: Survival
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
The parking, traffic, noise, trash, water, septic and similar "quality of life" issues will absolutely "impact" those neighborhoods.

A sprinkling of these (one house in ten?) in an area can be tolerable before they begin to impact values IF they are actually intended for the owners Granny to live in. A saturation of them as rental units (in any sort of neighborhood) will soon be recognized as intolerable by most.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:10 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

If you are in an SD City neighborhood, do you think this will impact your neighborhood? Property Values? It seems like a gold rush for investors to pick up distressed properties and maximize ROI with more units per lot.

Hey! Now Grandma Can Move In! - voiceofsandiego.org: Survival
Hey Shmoov. You're right...for investors it will be GREAT news. Personally, I wouldn't want to see them in a neighborhood where I personally live but for investment properties where it will maximize ROI...it would definitely be valuable and welcome news.

I hope it passes (of course in an area where I don't live..ha ha).

Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 AM

earlyretirement and MrRational,

I agree with the both of you. I am just baffled how the planning commission voted 5-0! That kind of ratio in almost indisputable coming from a board that is supposed to review the pros and cons. Really curious how the Council will react to this when it comes time to vote.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
earlyretirement and MrRational,

I agree with the both of you. I am just baffled how the planning commission voted 5-0! That kind of ratio in almost indisputable coming from a board that is supposed to review the pros and cons. Really curious how the Council will react to this when it comes time to vote.
Maybe the planning commission all owns investment properties? LOL. Or maybe they just see a lot of demand from the locals to allow this sort of thing. In this kind of economic environment, you probably have a good amount of people they are hearing from that want to be able to do this.

I'm also surprised it was 5-0.

But I'm not surprised to read, "Several members of the public, including development consultants and architects, told the Planning Commission they supported the law changes Thursday". These "development consultants as well as architects" all stand to make a good bit of money and increased activity if this passes. Lots more work for all of them. Also, maybe the city will charge hefty fees/taxes on these granny flats. And of course they will generate much more tax intake as they will increase property taxes. It might just be a sort of desperate times call for desperate measures sort of thing.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM

123 posts, read 405,601 times
Interesting development.

What I really want to know more about is this line:
Quote:
The amendments would remove the double lot size requirement, and also allow a granny flat — formally known as a companion unit — to be built at the same time as a primary residence, which is not currently allowed.
It would appear this law change applies to new construction, as in new construction of both units. What about the addition of a granny flat on a property which has an existing primary residence?

Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Interesting development.

What I really want to know more about is this line:

It would appear this law change applies to new construction, as in new construction of both units. What about the addition of a granny flat on a property which has an existing primary residence?
After reading it, it seems that this will now be easier to build a new granny flat addition to existing lots as well as new construction to both units.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Well, the FAR (Floor Area Ratio) still applies which does include garages, and any 3-sided structure (walls and roof) and it isn't the easiest thing in the world to find a minimum of three non tandem off-street parking places while not having larger curb-cuts. It's still a tough cookie to get done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego