Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM

12 posts, read 17,031 times

Advertisements

i'm in the military so i don't want to live too far from base.

ive seen two apt. complexes in particular that caught my eye, which are Archstone Mission Valley, right next to Qualcomm stadium, and Triste Apartment villas near La Jolla.

I would like to know how these areas are in terms of crime, traffic, etc. Also if anyone can recommend some other areas or Apts to look at that would be great as well, thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Which base are you going to be stationed at?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 PM

naval base san diego, the big one.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM

45 posts, read 126,423 times
The Mission Valley Archstone sits in, of all places, Mission Valley, which is a major shopping and high-density (condos & apartments) housing area.

Archstone is a quality, nationwide apartment company. They have them in many/most big cities. I've lived at two before and both were clean, professionally run, and had good amenities. They were *not* the cheapest place.

This location sits right next to a shopping center with a Costco, Ikea, Oggi's Pizza, IHOP, Lowe's, public library, and some other small shops. Depending on where you are in the complex it will be a short walk. The traffic is reasonably well managed outside of the shopping center's parking lot (not many backups), so little impact as a nearby resident. A big benefit is the Fenton Parkway trolley stop right near there, which feeds into Old Town on the green line. From Old Town it is a straight shot into Naval Base San Diego, and if you like mass transit, it about as good as it gets in San Diego. NO traffic worries, no gas, and if I'm not mistaken your pass can be subsidized by the Navy. Around 45 minutes + walking to/from stations compared to 20 minutes driving without traffic (and there is always traffic unless you go into work early). AAUSN FM&C FMO (http://www.fmo.navy.mil/services/tip/tip.htm - broken link)

You would have reasonably good access to downtown and most anywhere in San Diego (Mission Valley is smack in the middle of the area).

Crime stats can be looked up here:

San Diego Regional Crime MAPS

Mission Valley is pretty darn safe, though auto theft is higher than normal (all the shopping centers) if memory serves.

My friend lived in Triste before. Skip it. Nice enough I guess, but expensive for what you get as it is full of students from the nearby UC San Diego. Harder to get into downtown, probably a bit longer a drive but not by much. No trolley access up there.

There are several other quality apartment complexes in Mission/Fashion Valley (including another by Archstone). I would see how they compare and go from there.

Not sure if schools matter, but La Jolla/UTC are better than Mission Valley.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
UTC and Mission Valley are decent, new, bland parts of the city. Personally, I would never live in either location because there will be nothing for you after work. However, if your only goal is a comfortable place to watch TV when you get home, these locations are fine. I would choose the one with the lower rent.

If you want something else from your neighborhood, let us know, and we will guide you accordingly.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:13 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Like other have already said, both Mission Valley and UTC are safe, albeit bland. Of the two, I'd choose MV because it's close to some great neighborhoods, Balboa Park, Downtown, etc.

I knew someone who lived in Archstone Mission Valley and she and her boyfriend liked living there.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:45 PM

looks like archstone mission valley is where we'll be moving. My wife and I just would like a comfy, safe area and the fact that its close to the interstate and other stores is a big plus as well.

great responses, thanks everyone.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
MV is a good central place to start in SD. You're across the street from the library, trolley station, Costco, Lowe's and some restaurants. It's completely safe, too. Just be warned of traffic in the area during Chargers games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: