Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,706 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to San Diego in March. I have been to San Diego several times, and know which neighborhoods I'm interested in.

Unfortunately, I am in Milwaukee and my work schedule will not allow me to take any trips until my move.

I am looking for someone to visit apartments I've pre-selected and make a short, unedited video of the apartment tour. I will make the necessary appointments and arrangements.

Presumably, these videos will be filmed on an iPhone or other hand-held device.

Once the video has been emailed to me, I'll review it and will most likely like to have a short phone conversation about the apartment.

I will pay $20 per hour for this work. I expect there to be about four or five apartments total, and the total number of hours to be somewhere around 8-12. I will pay via paypal.

I assume this wont happen until some time in late January or early February.

Please contact me if you're interested. Please refrain from posting comments on this thread telling me how stupid I am for doing this, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
I don't think your idea is bad at all, but you may run into roadblocks. We were in the same situation as you before we moved. If you are looking at non apartment complex places, private landlords get very spooked about not seeing the owner in person. I was really surprised at this attitude when we were moving. They acted like we were scammers or something-some saying they prefered to work with someone locally. Management companies on the other hand don't care. its business and money is money. We rented a condo we did not see in person through a mang company, and LUCKILY it turned out great. We have renewed our lease. Ironically we leased our former condo (that we own) to someone who did the same thing-she was a busy doc that did not have time to come see it in person.

I would consider looking through mang companies and for properties on the MLS. They can sent you a lot of pictures and a virtual tour and for the most part nothing fishy will go down. dealing with private owners from out of state could have some risk.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
I don't think you are stupid at all for doing this. In fact, the more due diligence the better as far as I'm concerned.

Many of the properties I own are abroad and there are people that do exactly what you're proposing. And most property owners have no problem at all with it. They don't charge by the hour but just charge a flat fee like $25 to $35 per visit based on where the property is. Of course here in San Diego things are more spread out and driving distances are further, not to mention public transportation isn't as good so depending on where it is, people can spend money on things like gas so you have to account for that.

I've had one lady come to several of my units and verify for people that the photos I had were genuine, floor plan was accurate, etc.

If you do have someone do it, the key things for you to talk to them about is verify the photos are as advertised, size is what the owner is claiming, tell them to check the amount of natural sunlight that comes into the apartment, which floor it's on, the amount of street noise, orientation of the apartment (i.e. does it face the street, which way does the sun rise/set), is there any noise from neighbors that he can see, the condition of the lobby and hallway and general condition of the building.

These types of "eyes and ears" visits are really helpful for people that can't make it to the city to see it. You might even put together a survey for them to fill out with the most important things so they don't forget something.

The visit is only as good as the person checking it out and how organized they are. The video will help but you have to factor in the fact that many owners might not allow videoing of their apartment in which case the questioner becomes vital.

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I don't think your idea is bad at all, but you may run into roadblocks. We were in the same situation as you before we moved. If you are looking at non apartment complex places, private landlords get very spooked about not seeing the owner in person. I was really surprised at this attitude when we were moving. They acted like we were scammers or something-some saying they prefered to work with someone locally. Management companies on the other hand don't care. its business and money is money. We rented a condo we did not see in person through a mang company, and LUCKILY it turned out great. We have renewed our lease. Ironically we leased our former condo (that we own) to someone who did the same thing-she was a busy doc that did not have time to come see it in person.

I would consider looking through mang companies and for properties on the MLS. They can sent you a lot of pictures and a virtual tour and for the most part nothing fishy will go down. dealing with private owners from out of state could have some risk.
I just found an apartment for my friend who just moved here from D.C. and didn't have any problem with private landlords getting "spooked" when I was out looking at places for him. I think having a real live person show up and talk to them is the key.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
^could be. for us it was if we were grifters. With that said you acted on behalf of a friend. If either party is a nut in this case -the OP or the person who takes the job, it could be mess. Even if they are not a nut the designee will not be able to answer any questions on behalf of the OP. Anyway, I will be interested to see how it turns out and am not saying it is a bad idea. I am just wondering what service the person viewing the units can offer that the landlord (assuming there is a mang company) won't provide-pics, info etc.

PS- I would take a job like this in a heartbeat if I were not already over extended at work. Sounds fun!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
You know what might work better, Creamcity? Tell us what apartments you are looking at and we will chime in with our feedback.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
^could be. for us it was if we were grifters. With that said you acted on behalf of a friend. If either party is a nut in this case -the OP or the person who takes the job, it could be mess. Even if they are not a nut the designee will not be able to answer any questions on behalf of the OP. Anyway, I will be interested to see how it turns out and am not saying it is a bad idea. I am just wondering what service the person viewing the units can offer that the landlord (assuming there is a mang company) won't provide-pics, info etc.

PS- I would take a job like this in a heartbeat if I were not already over extended at work. Sounds fun!

I agree something like this you really have to depend on having someone go that isn't flaky and also has good judgement. Also, someone detail oriented that will let you know things that might not be on your list. Like if there is a heavy smoke odor, etc.

The service the person is providing is to give an unbiased objective opinion. The management company often looks at this with rose colored glasses so it's good to have a third party opinion on it along with photos.

I've had friends go look at vacation rentals in various cities around the world to give an objective opinion. Typically management companies or owners don't want to hassle with short term rentals and spending time showing it. But what I've done with some owners in the past at places I was going to rent for vacation was offer them $50 to allow a friend to go visit it. With the condition if I ended up booking it, they would apply the $50 towards the rent. That way they knew I wasn't a time waster.

It's actually a great idea but I agree the key is having someone totally dependable.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:49 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Never answers back only 2 post
But IMO you're going to have to fly out here to see.
You have to get a feel for a place.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,594 times
I'm interested. I could use the money. But there's some things I would wanna go over such as gas reinbercements, location etc. Give me your email so i can send u my number.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Never answers back only 2 post
Oooh, that totally cuts like a knife!

Anyways, sorry City-Data folks, I do not have internet at home and I've been too busy at work to use the interwebs.

Thanks for all the advice!

Ideally I think I'd like to live in Hillcrest, but I have a feeling my first San Diego apartment will have to be in a big corporate complex... At least I know what I'm going to get from those guys, versus working with a small-time landlord.

Moderator cut: Please don't enter your email address so openly on the forum. It exposes you to spammers. Ask for a DM instead. Thank you.

Last edited by Vichel; 12-09-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego