Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 PM

64 posts, read 235,878 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

We have some palm trees that need to be trimmed, including 4 very tall palms with tons of dead fronds. I think they are King palms and they are at least 2 stories high.

How much does this normally cost? I have people coming for estimates in a few days, but I want to make sure I am getting a fair price (and that I don't die of sticker stock!).

Does anybody have any tree trimming companies they can recommend? We are in North Park.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 01:57 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 794,926 times
Sorry, no comps for you, but I'm interested in the same question as we have several palms on our property and they could use a good shave too.

One thing to pass on . . when we first moved in 2 years ago, a really nice old Canary Island palm was looking a little sickly . . .I didn't know a lot about them and did some Googling and got a little scared as it looked like a fungal disease which is fatal . . .called out an arborist and thankfully it wasn't the fungus, but I learned from him that the fungus is real, and is usually spread by cut-rate trimming services who don't sterilize their cutters after every job . . . so you may want to ask that question when you get your quotes.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
I would suggest calling Higuera Tree Services (just google them.)

While we dont have palms that big, we do have lot of palms ( pygmy to pyramid) and a range of exotics that require special care. Higuera were honest and straight forward as they all get trimmed different from one another.

Tough to find a bad review of them on Angies List, Yelp or Google.

I couldnt tell you the exact tree amount as we had it lumped with other services. But I am guessing it was around $400-500 of the total nut.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:20 PM

64 posts, read 235,878 times
Thanks, I actually have them coming in for an estimate tomorrow. So was that $400-$500 for all the palm trees together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I would suggest calling Higuera Tree Services (just google them.)

While we dont have palms that big, we do have lot of palms ( pygmy to pyramid) and a range of exotics that require special care. Higuera were honest and straight forward as they all get trimmed different from one another.

Tough to find a bad review of them on Angies List, Yelp or Google.

I couldnt tell you the exact tree amount as we had it lumped with other services. But I am guessing it was around $400-500 of the total nut.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Yes I would say around that price considering the other landscape work we had done. The total we had for the landscape work was $900 last year which boiled down to roughly half of that bill if not a little more.

I dont think they will mess around with you on the price. They were really up front and honest and I felt more confident with them than the others that came by (all things considered.) While they werent the cheapest, they werent hundreds more either. Plus they were able to do it quickly and efficiently. Clean up was great too.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:03 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I have nothing to add on prices, but I can from almost direct experience, offer this advice. Contact your neighbors with palms in need of trimming and offer a package deal to whichever service you work with. If you come in with a big project, you can negotiate a SUBSTANTIALLY better deal.

In Kensington, the neighbors got together, about 60 - 80 of them, and got the price per tree down to $50. But if it's just your 4 trees, $100 per tree sounds close to accurate.

And if this thing goes viral in the neighborhood, a lot of people will want to join in to get the good rate. You will be surprised how it really isn't difficult to get the needed numbers.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I have nothing to add on prices, but I can from almost direct experience, offer this advice. Contact your neighbors with palms in need of trimming and offer a package deal to whichever service you work with. If you come in with a big project, you can negotiate a SUBSTANTIALLY better deal.

In Kensington, the neighbors got together, about 60 - 80 of them, and got the price per tree down to $50. But if it's just your 4 trees, $100 per tree sounds close to accurate.

And if this thing goes viral in the neighborhood, a lot of people will want to join in to get the good rate. You will be surprised how it really isn't difficult to get the needed numbers.
Yep. This is a great idea that my neighborhood utilizes on annual tests that we all have to get. Things like annual backflow testing from the City of San Diego, we all ban together and get a package deal with a company that does that. It's totally convenient for him as he can hit all of them on one visit and at the same time and he gives us all a discounted rate.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Just spoke to a neighbor about this yesterday! She paid $80 a piece, but they were just done last year, so not a whole lot of dead fromms. Hers were Kings. She said she had 3 done...over 4 and it was discounted. LOL. We have over 150 various palms, including mostly Queens. Thankfully, right now we can cut our own.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:28 AM

70 posts, read 127,933 times
We had ours trimmed last year by crown point clippers. 5 queen palms, 3 mexican palms, and the cutting and stump grinding of a smaller canary palm. All for $450

Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
This is good stuff. I'm probably a couple of years away from not being able to trim it myself. It seems the more you trim it the faster they grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego