Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
To my surprise I found out recently that international visitors to the Convention Center have the San Ysidro outlet mall listed as an attraction. I'm sure American convention participants are given the same list of options. Apparently shuttles take them directly from their hotels/the CC to San Ysidro, and not just for a trip across the border, but specifically for a couple of hours of outlet shopping. So add international professionals to your list of potential customers, but make sure your prices/selection can compete with the duty-free purchases they can make in the international airports. And since they probably won't be repeat customers, your question, in that particular scenario, is moot. But really nice, classy advertising in the kind of brochures/periodicals that convention goers are likely to read would probably be a good idea.
Great post CFF. This sounds about right based on my experience.

There are quite a few tech nerd conventions that are held downtown every year and a good number of international colleagues that I do meet that arent driving have 0 problems taking the trolley down to shop at Las Americas.

At least when they ask me for suggestions on where to shop, I always refer to that place. Because there is no question that THE #1 item they want are blue jeans. Hands down. Then electronics depending on which part of the world they are coming from.

Fragrances seem like something that would also be a benefit, but again I just wonder what the real savings are when they can get it duty free at the airport or UETA.

Competition wise, down there, I am really not sure if there are any 3rd party fragrance retailers outside of a Ross or Marshalls that are fragrance focused. I can see some success with repeat customers coming over the border and back or by word of mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Hmmmmmm......without sounding like a jerk, do people even wear fragrances these days? Anyone remember the days when all of the guys were splashing on Calvin Klein's Obsession, Drakkar Noir and Polo by Ralph Lauren? LOL

Like everyone else has said, your target customer will be mostly Mexican nationals. Just make sure you stock up on every upscale name brand out there, because that is what they go for.

Will you be opening in one of the new outlet malls they are building in the area? Good luck in your venture.

Outlet Mall Business Expanding At Border | NBC San Diego

Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Hmmmmmm......without sounding like a jerk, do people even wear fragrances these days? Anyone remember the days when all of the guys were splashing on Calvin Klein's Obsession, Drakkar Noir and Polo by Ralph Lauren? LOL

I haven't worn cologne in many many years. But I must be in the minority because it seems like everyone and their sister and brother has their own designer scents out there.

I remember when I was younger, there were a handful of designer fragrances. Now, every pop star, actor, whatever has their own fragrance. Sometimes I laugh when I think about the likes of Justin Bieber having his own cologne out.... LOL.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I haven't worn cologne in many many years. But I must be in the minority because it seems like everyone and their sister and brother has their own designer scents out there.

I remember when I was younger, there were a handful of designer fragrances. Now, every pop star, actor, whatever has their own fragrance. Sometimes I laugh when I think about the likes of Justin Bieber having his own cologne out.... LOL.
So true.....I guess when people like Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian have their own lines of fragrances out, then someone is buying them!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I live in Otay Ranch and pop down to that area every now and then - I hit Kirkland, Ross, Marshalls and the Carter/OshKosh stores. It seems to me that there is one, if not two perfume stores already there? Plus at least one at the actual Mall (and Bath and Body Works and Victoria Secret stores that sell perfume). I've bought perfume at the Ross and Marshall's every now and then...

I get mirgraines from time to time - and while perfumes don't seem to be a trigger for me, I know that they are for others so I've kinda laid off the perfumes. I might wear something light and airy if I'm out and about . I don't wear any when I'm in an eclosed space (lik a plane). I might wearsomethin heavier, more va-va-voom after my bath if the husband and I are "in" for the evening

Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
All great, very well thought out replies here!

As others have said, I wouldn't drive to S Ysidro for shopping, but as a woman who always wears fragrance, I normally purchase online from the least expensive retailer offering them. There are 2 designer fragrances I wear, which have been labled discontinued for years & can only really be found online. The other designer fragrance I wear is too expensive in shops, so I find the cheapest retailer online & buy. Even if it's the same prices as in the stores, with online often shipping is free or low enough to justify not driving & paying sales tax.

Not sure if this would be an option for you, but if you had your SY store & online shopping capabilities & offered my fragrances at the least expensive price or at least competitively... I'd buy from your SY online store. As far as customer service, as a bargain shopper, I can't afford top prices because a store's employees are nicer than another... I shop for lower bargain prices because I have to. If you offered my fragrances at the cheapest prices around, I'd wait 'til I needed 2 or 3 of them, then drive to SY once/twice per year. Similarly, if you offered my perfume & had special deals with a purchase... 50% off the 2nd, etc., I'd make the journey.

As an average shopper, hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I find the cheapest retailer online & buy. Even if it's the same prices as in the stores, with online often shipping is free or low enough to justify not driving & paying sales tax.

Exactly. It's amazing how easy it is to buy stuff online. I signed up for the Amazon.com Prime membership a while back. I think I paid something like $80 or something and get free 2 day shipping and many times they end up just shipping things overnight express.

My wife and I typically just buy stuff online. It makes it so easy to just have stuff end up on our doorstep without the hassles of going to the store and waiting in line.

But I guess with fragrances it's different as people want to smell before they buy. Although my wife and many females I know just stick with their favorite perfume and buy the same thing when it runs out. But I guess one thing that will help with the retail vs. the Amazon.com's out there is they will have to start charging sales tax in California soon.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times
With gas prices on the rise, I hope you have a great website and have efficient/overnight delivery also, my wife loves to shop online as well. Like the others have said, your selection should be exquisite enough for people to make the long drive south (or to cross the fence). If someone is desperate enough, they'll drive a little further and pick up the merchandise today than wait for overnight delivery.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Exactly. It's amazing how easy it is to buy stuff online.
I'm with you two. I dislike any kind of shopping besides the occasional thrift store (I collect vintage handbags & leather coats), but online is far easier. I can open up 8 windows for different retailers to search for the same item & compare. When I get bored, I go back to my work, then when needing a break, go back to my varying retailers & research. It's the easiest way to shop & I often find out much more about the products I'm buying beforehand. Any time spent in a store is time away from walking by the ocean or enjoyable activities.

Quote:
My wife and I typically just buy stuff online. It makes it so easy to just have stuff end up on our doorstep without the hassles of going to the store and waiting in line.
You sound like my SO & I. We're kamakazi shoppers. We both dislike it & are so organized we can take a cart at the market, Mario Andretti it through each isle, yelling code back on forth as to what we need, fill up the cart at breakneck speed whilst carefully maneuvering around slow, happy shoppers & be checked out & back home before most people finish a small coffee.

Quote:
But I guess with fragrances it's different as people want to smell before they buy. Although my wife and many females I know just stick with their favorite perfume and buy the same thing when it runs out.
You're right. But, if I wish to change fragrances or test a few, I can wander into a store sometime, spray my wrists & walk about it for a bit. In most cases, I don't like it & have to do it multiple times before I find what I like anyway. I already know the store price, so I can give a quick search online to find it... almost always cheaper & as you've said, door delivery is worth the price of shipping, if any. In most cases, it would be about the same as sales tax AND saves the time & cost of driving.

By the way, you probably already know, but since you & your wife online shop a lot, don't forget to always search sites like couponcabin.com for discount codes or retainmenot.com for the same before you check out. Honestly, I get $10-25 savings everytime I buy & we're not frivolous shoppers, meaning shopping just to shop & spend money. I don't think I've paid full price in the cart for 10-yrs now, save for 1-2 times & I always wrangle up a coupon for free shipping or I'll wait 'til I need enough merchandise to qualify for the free shipping (like at drugstore.com).

Now, if I can just get Ralph's to same day deliver potato crisps at 2am, I may never need to leave the house!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

You sound like my SO & I. We're kamakazi shoppers. We both dislike it & are so organized we can take a cart at the market, Mario Andretti it through each isle, yelling code back on forth as to what we need, fill up the cart at breakneck speed whilst carefully maneuvering around slow, happy shoppers & be checked out & back home before most people finish a small coffee.

So funny PatanjaliTwist. Yeah, although I will go to the shopping mall with my wife every now and then....I'm the type I know what I want and I'll go right in and right out when I want/need something and I can't buy it online.

It's just amazing how easy they make it and the customer service is really great too at places like Amazon.com Even strange things like 8 foot ladders, they will deliver and have it sent right to my front door. Or a few months ago when I needed a trailer hitch and I ordered one on Amazon. This was like a 50+ pound item. And when I found out I had to buy it from U-Haul I had to send it back. Amazon didn't even charge me for shipping it back. They had UPS come and pick it up off my doorstep the next day. It just makes everything idiot proof having stuff on my front porch every few days after a few clicks on my mouse.

Everything so efficient and saves a ton of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego