Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 7,642 times

Advertisements

Is university heights a neighborhood within university city?I'm slightly confused.I may be moving to this area and I'd like to know what it's like or what part would be best for me. I'm 23, just graduated college and will hopefully be landing an entry-level job in my field in this area. I like gettin to concerts, parties, whatever..also im single. I'd like to be close enough to a cool downtownish area. close to the action without being kept up at night by fratboys. I hear that the northern part of university city is "younger"?that true? My rent limit is around 800 a month (im prepared to go the roomshare route in an apartment or small house). Is there any advice you guys can give me?Im moving from the bay area (berkeley) by the way and I'm originally from the philadelphia area. i posted on here a week ago, but just recently narrowed down areas

Josh

Last edited by Jroth5188; 08-24-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 PM

17 posts, read 36,753 times
No, University Heights is a neighborhood in central San Diego. It's bordered by Normal Heights, North Park, and Hillcrest, three very artsy, hipster neighborhoods. Full of great cafés, great bars, some fun clubs, great restaurants. Hillcrest very clearly, and proudly, caters to the gay community. Many gay clubs and bars up and down University Ave. North Park and Normal Heights are a bit more straight-laced, but equally as fun and full of places to hang out.

University City is further North of central San Diego. It may have cheaper housing, but based on your interests you won't find much to do there. That whole area of Kearny Mesa/Clairemont/Mira Mesa doesn't boast any sort of bumpin' nightlife. You'll have a lot more luck with Normal Heights, North Park, Golden Hill, South Park. They're all about 5 minutes outside of Downtown SD and WAY more fun for someone your age. Affordable housing is entirely possible there depending on your price range. My fiancé and I pay $850/mo for a 1BR apartment just outside of DT, which is fantastic. Rent can go as low as $675 for a smaller studio apartment in those neighborhoods I mentioned.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Haha, I apologize. I should've zoomed in on the map I was looking at. University City is closer to La Jolla. Clairemont and Kearny Mesa are further East.

However, La Jolla is expensive. Renting there will not be an option for you with your budget. It's a beautiful, beachside area, but it's for those that have a little more money to burn, and I'm not just talking rent wise. Most of the night life there will require you to spend some money to have a good time. La Jolla is also about 20-25 minutes away from Downtown San Diego, which is always a factor. A car is a very necessary item in SD if you don't want to be stuck on the bus for 2 hours, or cabbing it home all the time.

You will have a much easier time in some of the more rustic neighborhoods I mentioned in my above post.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
University City is closer to UCSD and named for proximity to it, University Heights, I assume is named for University Ave that runs through it, albeit on the southern border.

If you want to get away from the college lifestyle, I'd avoid the University City area. Uni Heights, Hillcrest, North Park, South Park and Normal Heights would be more fun areas I think.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Yeah, they were originally going to build a university in that area back in the 1880s.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
SDSU was originally located at the intersection of Park and El Cajon Boulevard which is the heart of University Heights. It was the Normal School at its beginning and the campus was a magnificent collection of Italianate stone buildings. Naturally because this is San Diego, these beautiful old buildings had to be torn down (except for the one that remains) so that an ugly modernist elementary school could be built in its place. As the saying goes, in San Diego, if it's beautiful, it MUST be demo'd!

To the OP, your personal preferences dictate that you should live in one of the Balboa Park neighborhoods: Park West/Bankers Hill, Hillcrest, University Heights, Normal Heights, North Park, South Park, Golden Hill. Given your rent restrictions, your best bets would probably be Normal Heights, North Park, and Golden Hill. However, you might find a deal in some of the other areas.

There is no 'there' there, in University City. I would avoid it, unless minimizing your commute is your top goal.

Edit: I guess I've repeated myself from my comments in your other thread. But the advice is still sound.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:01 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Wow hard to believe anyone in SD let this building be torn down.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
No, University Heights is a neighborhood in central San Diego. It's bordered by Normal Heights, North Park, and Hillcrest, three very artsy, hipster neighborhoods. Full of great cafés, great bars, some fun clubs, great restaurants. Hillcrest very clearly, and proudly, caters to the gay community. Many gay clubs and bars up and down University Ave. North Park and Normal Heights are a bit more straight-laced, but equally as fun and full of places to hang out..
I agree.

University Hieghts is a great place to live in SD and a nice studio apt. goes for around $1300.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 PM

102 posts, read 293,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
My fiancé and I pay $850/mo for a 1BR apartment just outside of DT, which is fantastic. Rent can go as low as $675 for a smaller studio apartment in those neighborhoods I mentioned.
How did you find your 1BD?! I'm looking at craigslist now, and 1BRs seem to go for much more than that even in the most run-down neighborhoods these days.

Were you very lucky, or was this a while ago, when the rents were lower, or am I looking in the wrong place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego