Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times

Advertisements

All,

I am planning to visit San Diego in the last week of June. However, I have heard about the dreaded June gloom which I suspect might put a damper on things, considering that I would like to spend most of my time outdoors/on the beach during this visit.
Alternatively I could visit San Diego at some other time but since I am already confirmed to go to Vegas the following weekend, I figured this would tie in nicely with the West Coast trip overall.

Could you advise if this trip would be worth it, or would it really not be complete without the ‘fun in the sun’? I have heard some people say its not too bad, but yet others say that it can get significantly overcast. As mentioned I would like to spend time by the beach, and visit San Diego’s main tourist attractions like the Balboa Park, Torrey Pines, Gaslamp etc.

Thank you for all your help - really looking forward to visiting a place that i have only heard amazing things about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
All,

I am planning to visit San Diego in the last week of June. However, I have heard about the dreaded June gloom which I suspect might put a damper on things, considering that I would like to spend most of my time outdoors/on the beach during this visit.
Alternatively I could visit San Diego at some other time but since I am already confirmed to go to Vegas the following weekend, I figured this would tie in nicely with the West Coast trip overall.

Could you advise if this trip would be worth it, or would it really not be complete without the ‘fun in the sun’? I have heard some people say its not too bad, but yet others say that it can get significantly overcast. As mentioned I would like to spend time by the beach, and visit San Diego’s main tourist attractions like the Balboa Park, Torrey Pines, Gaslamp etc.

Thank you for all your help - really looking forward to visiting a place that i have only heard amazing things about!
It is sooooo different from one year to the next. Seriously. Some years it's socked in for the whole month, others it burns off by 10am, others you won't see hide nor hair of it. Not really any way to predict.

I know that's not super-helpful, but it's all I got

Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
as I recall, last May and June were really overcast (I live right by the coast), so it really is iffy. So far May has been overcast/gloomy/rainy. Personally I wouldn't come in June. You might want to consider going to LV first and then coming to SD right after. July thru October are really the best months to visit here, IMO. I think you'd be pretty safe in seeing clear skies/sun in early July, at least in the afternoons. You'll have an awesome time!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
June is not so bad though stay away from the La Jolla peninsula which is the epicenter of the protracted marine layer. Aug-SEPT-Oct are actually the sweet months for beach time incl. warmest water temps and less visitors.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,377 times
Yes it's a bit of a crapshoot any given year, and you MIGHT get lucky . . . but if the beach experience is really an important part of your trip (and you don't consider huddling around a bonfire in a hoodie under grey drizzly skies a good beach experience), I would go for August rather than June. The odds are you will experience June Gloom . . . which is basically like a New England fall . . . your post saying it might put a "damper" on things is actually quite accurate . . .

Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
as I recall, last May and June were really overcast (I live right by the coast), so it really is iffy. So far May has been overcast/gloomy/rainy. Personally I wouldn't come in June. You might want to consider going to LV first and then coming to SD right after. July thru October are really the best months to visit here, IMO. I think you'd be pretty safe in seeing clear skies/sun in early July, at least in the afternoons. You'll have an awesome time!

Hmm yeah that could be a possibility as well, if I come to San Diego on Sunday and stay for the first couple of days in July.

Would you guys think that a late Sunday afternoon followed by 2 full days give me enough time to be able to visit the following locations:

- Balboa Park
- La Jolla village and maybe La Jolla Shores
- Mission Beach and/or Pacific Beach, and Coronado
- Gaslamp
- Mission San Diego de Alcala

Thank you all, your insights have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Too tight to do all of that. Get rid of one beach at least.

Monday - Beach 1 and Balboa
Tuesday - Beach 2 and (Alcala or Gaslamp)

I'd scratch gaslamp as touristy and nothin special.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
It is sooooo different from one year to the next. Seriously. Some years it's socked in for the whole month, others it burns off by 10am, others you won't see hide nor hair of it. Not really any way to predict.

I know that's not super-helpful, but it's all I got

Yep. Totally agree! It can be drastically different not only year to year but week to week. We used to come for vacation many years in June before we moved here and it would be drastically different as Jenkay mentioned.

Some years it would be cloudy and horrible for the entire vacation and other years it would be really great. So just totally depends. Probably good to plan on several different activities based on what you like to do if you can't hang out by the beach.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 PM

You could hit Beach 3 when you arrive Sun pm.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:10 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Late June is better than early June. Cloudiest time is late May and early June.

May Gray hasn't lived up its hype yet. So far we've had a few days of rain, and a few days with temps in the 80's and 90's. The sun has been out almost everyday, and the next 7 days look pretty good to me

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego