Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM

10 posts, read 22,991 times

Advertisements

HI!

Long time reader here -- I am moving to San Diego next month from the midwest.

I am up in the air on what area exactly I want to be in. I am a young female, I do like going out and meeting new people but ALSO love the idea of being in a safe neighborhood and not a HUGE commute to the beach / more populated areas with things going on.

With that being said, what area would be a good fit?

Is Tierrasanta really that far off the beat & path that my commute would just be depressing? (I've read quite a bit on here....) I am used to about a 20 minute commute to work now, and that does not phase me. I used to drive an hour and a half to work ONE WAY everyday for about 6 months.

I am leaning towards Tierrasanta but is there stuff going on? Or is it just a sleepy little community?

ANY and all input is so very greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
Nicole,

Sounds exciting. But I have to tell you, those two neighborhoods are quite the contrast!

In short Tierrasanta is quite nice, boring for a single female your age and definitely more family oriented suburb. But the drive to the beach would be a breeze as its right off the 15 and straight onto the 8 where you can go north to Mission Beach/Pacific Beach or south to Ocean Beach/Pt Loma.

La Jolla, depending on location will be far more exciting as there are many aspects of the neighborhood ranging from shopping in UTC to the beaches.

How did you come up with those two? Is there anything else that is bringing you to SD besides the beaches? Job? Commuting is a way of life here for the most part and generally speaking living near a job as well as fun places are typical lists to start from

Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

How did you come up with those two? Is there anything else that is bringing you to SD besides the beaches? Job? Commuting is a way of life here for the most part and generally speaking living near a job as well as fun places are typical lists to start from
Thanks for the reply!

Well.......... I knew I was going to San Diego regardless, and I had to go the route of finding a roommate on Craigslist. La Jolla and Tierrasanta are the two places that have rooms open that I would feel comfortable living in =)

The place in Tierrasanta is most ideal as it is a house and with people that seem quite nice, the other in La Jolla is an apartment complex with people that are somewhat "shut ins" WHICH, is not a problem with me whatsoever, but I wouldn't mind friends with my roomies & going out and about. La Jolla just seems like SUCH a great area for me.......

I hear great things about Ocean Beach / Pacific Beach being nice as well for a young female looking to go out and have a good time here & there.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
Ah ha that makes sense now

OB/PB/MB are real hot spots for 20 somethings to cut loose and have a great time near the beach.

If you can, absolutely maximize your time by looking in these areas above. If those roommates are shut ins in La Jolla, then it might best to stay away if they are going to be Debbie Downers.

If your plan is to set up shop temporarily, at least being in the beach neighborhoods could help you make friends and ultimately get a place for yourselves.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,025 times
Are these two your only options? What is the rental difference for the rooms? Unless budget-wise it gives LaJolla the edge, at this time, it sounds like Tierrasanta is the better fit for you since it may be more likely that situation will expand your social circle more rapidly. LaJolla or OB/PB sound like better general locations overall for you to live, and if you can find something better there, prioritize that. Even if you start in Tierrasanta, once you make the move to the general San Diego area, you can always move somewhere more exciting next.

Where is your job located? Your commute time will definitely affect how much fun you can have after work!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Yes, it helps to live close to your job, San Diego is very spread out, and your commute could be horrible.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 PM

Ragnar, thanks - great advice. I was thinking the same thing actually.. Get my toes wet 'if you will,', neither of the places have leases, it's just month to month. Once I find an area I am more drawn to - I can head that way permanently. Rent-wise, they are both pretty much the same. La Jolla is a bit more but that is not a factor at this point in time. Both are month 2 month as stated (VERY appealing) I just REALLY want to be able to get out and meet people is all. Living somewhere no with zero friends is for the birds

I will not be working once I get out there. (Just as a side note, so job location commute is not necessary in factoring out where to go)

Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
How well do you know the people in the house you'd be sharing? Roommates aren't always instant friends, so I don't particularly see that as an advantage over La Jolla.

La Jolla is definitely more lively than Tierrasanta. Although Tierrasanta is a great neighborhood, it is more family-oriented.

You mentioned a commute, so since your job location isn't an issue I'll assume that's asking about commuting to the beach and to places to have a good time. Tierrasanta isn't horribly far (really, no place in San Diego is until you get way out into the hinterlands). But La Jolla is much closer to the center of activity.

Since it's not a long lease, I think it's a no-brainer to opt for La Jolla unless you're absolutely sure the housemates in Tierrasanta are going to provide the social connections you're hoping for.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM

oddstray, awesome advice - greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,046 times
Tierrasanta - nice community, but bedroom community. Lots of trees, lots of families, not a lot going on, ever.

Depending on location, La Jolla could be right on the water. Much more expensive, so take note, year-after year it's one of the pricer places to live in the United States. La Jolla is One of the Most Expensive Housing Markets in U.S. of that. But there are inexpensive options for going out etc., so I think you'll like it. When you first arrive, you'll be stunned at how nice it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego