Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

Advertisements

So San Diego had it's run off special election today and like a dutiful serf I wasted my lunch break going to vote. It seemed like there was hardly anyone there actually at the voting station but still I sat out in front reading articles on my cellphone trying to make up my mind as to which candidate I would vote for. Truthfully, they both seems like hack wankers.

Even though I'm a registered Dem and rarely vote for Republican candidate, because I like moderates and Republicans never seem to run moderates these days, I actually went and voted for Faulker. This was against all of my gut feelings as I know Faulkner is just a smarmy shill for the same good old boy/developer special interests who have run this city into the ground but the Dems didn't even give me a halfway decent candidate to vote for. Alvarez is obviously just a shill for the public employee unions. I have to admit the other big issue for me were how Alvarez played such horrible ethnic (I would say borderline racist) politics constantly making racial dog whistles about the rise of "la raza". I'm a left of center white guy but when you play the race game I will vote for the other side just to spite you so my suggestion to Dems is to avoid candidates who play this ethnic/national/racial identity game.

In the end I I still think both of them were terrible candidates but I just couldn't vote for Alvarez. So for the first time in almost 20 years I voted for a Republican candidate but if Faulkner doesn't govern as the moderate he says he is, if he pulls hard to the right after the election and starts acting like a typical corrupt Republican dirtbag, then I swear I'll never vote for anyone who has a R next to their name ever again. Faulkner better be the damned moderate he claims to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM

My hope is the Democratic majority on the city council keeps Faulkner in check while Faulkner prevents the public employee union from robbing the city blind.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
I have a good friend running for San Diego City Council. I wish she could run for Mayor!!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
My hope is the Democratic majority on the city council keeps Faulkner in check while Faulkner prevents the public employee union from robbing the city blind.
This would probably be best case scenario. If Alvarez gets in everyone better buy a 4 x 4 cause unless we "borrow" money by bond to fix streets we are all gonna need a truck or suv to get around.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM

The roads went to hell under the last three mayors. Basically since Murphy got caught by the FEC cooking the book and they revoked our ability to sell bonds. That's when they fell behind while Sanders just kept cutting things and never bothered to fix any of the roads in a meaningful way.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
You did your civic duty T4Y and that is all that matters, sometimes you just got to go with the lesser of two evils. Not that either men are evil, but you know what I mean.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
I'm fairly certain serfs didn't vote. Just sayin.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,360 times
First post's analysis was spot-on. Glad the union-backed race baiter lost. But this Republican better not funnel cash or property to corrupt developers and bankers.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:56 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
This is easy to explain. Politics is dirty and devoid of innocent people. Maybe you're just smart enough to realize that. You are never choosing between good and bad, just the lesser of two evils.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Mayor Manchester won. Dirty indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego