Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:02 PM

121 posts, read 336,824 times

Advertisements

What are a few things that surprised you when you moved to San Diego or surrounding suburb, from out of state?

I'm going to leave it open-ended in hopes for a variety of responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,798 times
I first moved to Poway from AZ. We moved in February or March. I wrote my MIL about the beautiful rolling green hills around Poway. I flew back to AZ in early June for a family funeral and then drove back in a week or so with my MIL who was coming for her first visit. The hills were brown. My MIL said "Where are those green hills you wrote me about?" I replied "They were green when I left. They turned brown while I was back in AZ." That was my surprise, how quickly the green turns brown as the weather warms up and the fact that the green did turn brown which I was not expecting. Surprise!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
The lack of distance between lots. I grew up in Pennsylvania and lived in Rhode Island before moving to San Diego. If you were living in a stand-alone house in either of those states, there was a good border between your house and your neighbors. Moving here at first, it felt very claustrophobic to have the house next to you so close to your own.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Disappearing sidewalks! I was used to taking long walks from neighborhood to neighborhood, just for the joy of walking, and curiosity about neighborhoods, but when I tried that in San Diego, all of a sudden there was no more sidewalk, and I had to turn back, or hike along in the iceplant! I had to adjust my walking habits and walk where the joggers jog...Because frankly, only people whose cars had broken down, or who had no cars, were walking where I tried to walk...I never realized before that where you walk, and why, can be read as a social statement...

Old 04-06-2014, 12:57 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
People were cool as a rule rather than warm and they rode my bumper.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
People were cool as a rule rather than warm and they rode my bumper.

Where did you come from before getting here? I came from six years of living in New England so I found the people to be warmer and the driving to be infinitely better in San Diego.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:41 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Alaska.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The lack of distance between lots. I grew up in Pennsylvania and lived in Rhode Island before moving to San Diego. If you were living in a stand-alone house in either of those states, there was a good border between your house and your neighbors. Moving here at first, it felt very claustrophobic to have the house next to you so close to your own.
I'm from Illinois but agree. Its been true for me wherever I live in ca so far, especially the beach neighborhood I lived in in Ventura county. You can hear EVERYTHING. This single factor could be the main thing to cause me to move back home in a few years when I'm really ready to be in a house of my own.... I think for me to do it here I would need to be able to afford a decent home, but more importantly, with some property/ buffer from others. This aspect of ca living is very hard to get used to. Some like close neighbors. I like to have private phone calls.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
First thing I noticed was how chilly it felt in the evenings (moved here in November 2004)

Never quite lived anywhere where the temps dropped so quickly as soon as the sun went down.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:36 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
First thing I noticed was how chilly it felt in the evenings (moved here in November 2004)

Never quite lived anywhere where the temps dropped so quickly as soon as the sun went down.
That too... In the summer time I get nostalgic for those balmy summer nights in the Midwest...oh and thunderstorms...miss those a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego